House Price Crash Forum

George Osborne Says Brexit Will Drive Up Mortgage Rates

HOLA441

Meanwhile Merkel is sucking up to Erdogan to help hide the migration crisis. On the one hand, you have fearorism, on the other - hiding the REAL problems of the EU project using Turkey as a curtain. Rest assured, Turkey will get into the EU, as will Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia...more cheap labour for the UK.

CgTz0kIWIAAIQhf.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

What's Chilcott got to do with Bremain/Brexit?

The report will no doubt paint the establishment as uncaring and self-centred. Plus Blair, who has always been pro EU and warned of fiscal collapse if we failed to take the Euro will be in the spotlight Its publication will no doubt play into the hands of Leave.

Cameron would be wise if possible to avoid allowing release till after the vote.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-17/osborne-to-lay-out-economic-cost-of-britain-voting-to-leave-eu

Bring it on, this is our chance to screw the banksters and build a 'proper' economy.

Yes, I woke this morning to hear again and again on the radio how Brexit will cost each family over £4000.

It seems the scaremongering from our chancellor goes into overdrive more each day lately!

HOLA446

^ Bloomberg link​

Osborne’s intervention comes a day after French Economy Minister Emmanuel Macron told Britain that outside the EU it would be “completely killed” in trade talks with countries such as China, and days before U.S. President Barack Obama is due to visit the U.K. and offer his own warning against leaving.

Great to see France looking after the UK people's interests.

Looking forward to hearing if Obama can outscare and outdo all the other scare stories.

HOLA447
HOLA448

^ Bloomberg link​

Great to see France looking after the UK people's interests.

Looking forward to hearing if Obama can outscare and outdo all the other scare stories.

Leader of free world whose country fought for independence from British rule says dont vote for independence from EU rule.

Bizarre. If he wants to be in EU so much why dont US join.

HOLA449

Yes, I woke this morning to hear again and again on the radio how Brexit will cost each family over £4000.

It seems the scaremongering from our chancellor goes into overdrive more each day lately!

Osborne cant even hit his own fiscal targets never mind making up nonsense for the next 2 decades

IThe only person impoverishing British families is Osborne.

HOLA4410

Good- the Quislings that want to remain ( eg. Vested interest Ex-pat Slumlord thread spamming Boomers), will have most likely forgotten this aspect by the time the vote comes round.

It's comments like that that P*** me off about this debate stupid emotive talk. The vast majority of sensible intelligent people are finely balanced and searching for facts. Because they want to stay in doesn't make them a Quisling it makes them someone who has an alternative view. (I say that as someone who will vote out)

As for boomers in general better suck up to them because they are effectively the swing vote -sub 40 generation virtually all voting in as far as I can see and post 60 ou. Thatcher's B**** children might just save this country again.. B)

Edit: because had out and in wrong way round!

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4411

I don't see how a close referendum can possibly be valid anyway.

If 49% vote to leave and 51% to stay, that's hardly a win is it? The country would be split in two - and divided even further than it is already. All the people wanting to leave are not suddenly going to convert to Euro-lovers.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It's comments like that that P*** me off about this debate stupid emotive talk. The vast majority of sensible intelligent people are finely balanced and searching for facts. Because they want to stay in doesn't make them a Quisling it makes them someone who has an alternative view. (I say that as someone who will vote out)

As for boomers in general better suck up to them because they are effectively the swing vote -sub 40 generation virtually all voting out as far as I can see and post 60 In. Thatcher's B**** children might just save this country again.. B)

Interesting, although I have not explicitly polled people I know(thirty-somethings), the vibes I get are that the vast majority will vote to remain in. Might be wrong of course.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

As for boomers in general better suck up to them because they are effectively the swing vote -sub 40 generation virtually all voting out as far as I can see and post 60 In. Thatcher's B**** children might just save this country again.. B)

I agree, someone I know called me an Imperialist because I want to leave. I am not sure if he understands what the word means.

HOLA4416

That's odd - it's almost the other way round for me - youth v. pro EU. Mostly 'middle-class' people though.

Exceptions include a hard-core lefty Bremainer (65+), albeit part proxy judgement on Tory RW anti-jingoistic etc.

One undecided under 40, is 'researching'.

The one I have the most heated debates is a self-confessed hard right neo-liberal (35-45) brexiter who I've p1ssed off with the argument that staying with the EU is MORE conducive to globalisation capitalism etc. Gets very worked up at that argument !

EU aside its been food for thought on how political prejudice/age works (or doesn't).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Anecdotal - Was debating many things with a government regulator (mid 30s) on Saturday night. He votes in. One of his arguments was that the pound has lost 95% of it's value because of the looming referendum, and that life is good.

On another subject, his face was a picture when I raised the notion that debt doesn't equal wealth.

HOLA4419

That's odd - it's almost the other way round for me - youth v. pro EU. Mostly 'middle-class' people though.

Exceptions include a hard-core lefty Bremainer (65+), albeit part proxy judgement on Tory RW anti-jingoistic etc.

The one I have the most heated debates is a self-confessed hard right neo-liberal (35-45) brexiter who I've p1ssed off with the argument that staying with the EU is MORE conducive to globalisation capitalism etc. Gets very worked up at that argument !

EU aside its been food for thought on how political prejudice/age works (or doesn't).

Seems that way around in my experience, and your last sentence also chimes with me. I'd vote to leave if presented with a ballot paper today but I'll be staying home as siding with Camborne/Labour etc is simply not an option after their irresponsible housing policies, yet the thought of a Brexit handing over more influence to the UK political zeitgeist (whichever side they happen to be campaigning on currently) is utterly galling.

Sitting on hands and ignoring the whole sorry shebang is pretty much my solution.

HOLA4420

It has been interesting in that in common with lots of the intelligent people I find here, I have had many and varied conversations about this often with people I don't know very well. The slightly depressing thing is I can't help thinking that if we all debated all the issues more like this we would have better Government

HOLA4421

Interesting, although I have not explicitly polled people I know(thirty-somethings), the vibes I get are that the vast majority will vote to remain in. Might be wrong of course.

HA Ha too early on a Monday.. I meant that the other way round !!! Youngsters in Over 60's out which chimes with you Doh!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Osborne's fearorist calculations based around taking in another 3 million immigrants by 2029!

George Osborne admitted during his Today programme interview that the Treasury’s forecasts were based on ONS predictions for net migration.

The latest ONS population forecast says a total of 2,966,000 more people will move to Britain than leave between 2015/16 and 2029/30. (The ONS has confirmed this stat to The Telegraph).

That is politically helpful for the Out campaign for two reasons.

Firstly, it presumes that the Tories will miss their target of reducing net migration to less than 100,000 – downgraded to an “ambition” at the last election – every year until 2030.

The ONS forecasts show net migration at 329,000 in 2014/15, down to 256,000 for 2015/16 and then plateauing at 185,000 each year from 2020/21 onwards.

That means more than a decade from now net migration will still be almost more than double David Cameron's target – a useful stat for those claiming the government has lost control of numbers.

Secondly, the scale of migration can be used by Brextieers to argue that the level of immigration will continue to be high if we remain in the EU.

The Treasury’s forecasts are underpinned by the presumption almost 3 million more people will come to the UK than leave in the next 14 years - roughly equivalent to three Birminghams.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/18/brexit-would-cost-every-family-4300-a-year-treasury-forecasts/

HOLA4425