House Price Crash Forum

20% Off Your First Home -- Merged Threads

HOLA441

who do they think they can kid with this sort of baloney

anyone who has any sense at all must surely know that when a government has to subsidise something, it is because the normal market for that product has broken down

fair enough if they want to chuck in £5k to buyers of an electric car - where a slight distortion might get the market going

but for a 'need' such as housing to require a government subsidy of 20% - surely everyone can see that the market has gone mad

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

anyone who has any sense at all must surely know that when a government has to subsidise something, it is because the normal market for that product has broken down

fair enough if they want to chuck in £5k to buyers of an electric car - where a slight distortion might get the market going

but for a 'need' such as housing to require a government subsidy of 20% - surely everyone can see that the market has gone mad

The sellers just add £5k on the price.

All governbankment subsidies of anything overpriced is just misappropriation of taxpayer's money.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Agreed, people can see through it pretty easily just by looking at their own circumstances. You're either able to live in a decent house or you aren't. You can't live in a Downing Street press release saying what a great success schemes X, Y and Z have been.

HOLA446

20% off 'starter homes' for the under 40s.

Favourable/higher rate ISA savings products for the over 60s.

How can this age based politicking be justified? It should be illegal.

I'm not under 40 and I'm not over 60. I wonder what bribes will be targeted at me?

Sheer desperation and shameless electioneering from the Tories, I hope enough of the electorate are not that stupid.

Although I suspect I would not want to be a 'starter home' even if I could.

They are basically acknowledging there is a problem, and then introducing policy to make the problem worse.

'You must be 65 or over to be eligible. The only drawback is that the maximum investment is £10,000 per person, which means there are likely to be only a million accounts offered. But a couple can put in a total of £20,000, with a maximum £10,000 in each of two separate bonds.

these over 65s NS and I fixed rate bonds are not available till January 2015

these are not ISAs

no interest rate has yet been mooted

only allowed £10K in total

only limited number available

don't feel you have missed out on anything.....

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The young and poor can have a brownfield township/ghetto, and leave the countryside intact for the better off. This is a form of economic apartheid.

The laugh is at one time, the Council would have provided the subsided housing, now you need to £160k + and a lifetime of debt slavery.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Who's going to buy mine then (for 20% more), only people over 40?

If I'm say 60 can I get one if my wife is 20? :lol:

I saw the piece on SKY just now, they want build houses and sell them at 20% under "market value" :rolleyes: The lengths they are going to to pretend that the price is the price is the price is laughable. I noticed that he walked over the couple`s grass as he greeted them, that says a lot to me, bet he doesn`t do that when he visits his old Eton chums.

HOLA4413

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, call me Dave.

Looking at the popular readers comments on the BBC, Daily Mail (and the rest probably) all seem to be saying the same things - house prices are the real problem, this discriminates against the over 40's, build more houses or fewer people.

Every party probably knows what needs to be done, none will do it, especially if they rely on the baby boomer / home owner vote.

As a quick reality check a photo from the UKIP (aka Baby Boomer Party) conference, how many of these core supporters will be happy to see the value of their house, 2nd/holiday home, or BTLs fall by 20/30/40% I wonder?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/77864000/jpg/_77864776_024086699-1.jpg

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, call me Dave.

Looking at the popular readers comments on the BBC, Daily Mail (and the rest probably) all seem to be saying the same things - house prices are the real problem, this discriminates against the over 40's, build more houses or fewer people.

Every party probably knows what needs to be done, none will do it, especially if they rely on the baby boomer / home owner vote.

As a quick reality check a photo from the UKIP (aka Baby Boomer Party) conference, how many of these core supporters will be happy to see the value of their house, 2nd/holiday home, or BTLs fall by 20/30/40% I wonder?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/77864000/jpg/_77864776_024086699-1.jpg

Just goes to show you how out of touch with reality politicians are.

As if youngsters are getting 20% off, anyway. It's going to cause the builders to nudge their prices up, and increase their profit margins.

As for the UKIP comment, that's perhaps true, but it's not UKIP that proposed what we're discussing here. It's the Conservatives, who are actively propping up house prices. If they were really that concerned about their house price, they'd be voting Conservative, surely.

HOLA4418

I got this email to-day. I regret responding to a poll that got me on their email list. I am incredibly frustrated that they cannot see that QE / easy money and the planning regime are the root causes of the house price bubble and that both main parties are complicit.

Having your own home means security, independence, and being able to get on in life.

But under Labour, the average cost of a first home more than tripled - and house-building fell to levels not seen since the 1920s.

People who worked hard and did the right thing couldn't get on the housing ladder - and couldn't get on in life.

So we're taking action to help hardworking taxpayers secure their first homes.

Help to Buy has already helped 50,000 people into new homes - and over 80% of them are first-time buyers.

But we're going even further:

• 100,000 new Starter Homes will be built and sold to first-time buyers at a 20% discount
  • 10,000 new Rent to Buy homes will be available at lower rents so tenants can save up for their first home

This is important news - and we need to share it.

Edited by LuckyOne

HOLA4419
But under Labour, the average cost of a first home more than tripled - and house-building fell to levels not seen since the 1920s.

People who worked hard and did the right thing couldn't get on the housing ladder - and couldn't get on in life.

So we're taking action to help hardworking taxpayers secure their first homes.

"...We're going to let prices drop, naturally, and without any interference."

And then I woke up.

HOLA4420

To get perspective on the relative numbers:

Apparently the majority of London's population (about 8 million) is aged 25 to 45.

Apparently in the UK there's 3.3 million people aged 20 to 34 still living with their parent/parents (2013 figures).

http://

www.stylist.co.uk/life/are-you-part-of-the-peter-pan-generation

“The majority of the population of the capital is now aged 25-45,” explains Ricky Burdett, professor of urban studies at LSE.

http://

www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/family-demography/young-adults-living-with-parents/2013/sty-young-adults.html

In 2013, over 3.3 million adults in the UK aged between 20 and 34 were living with a parent or parents. That is 26% of this age group.

According to the newspapers today the 20% Off is going to be offered to 100,000 people below the age of 40.

100,000 compared to all the millions in that age group.

How is the 20% Off Your First Home Scheme not just yet another publicity stunt and shameful scam - and designed purely to shift houses off builders' books.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This wacky scheme gets even more interesting when you find out what taxes the developers will be exempt from paying - its the section 106 and community infrastructure levies they pay to local government rather than central Government. So local taxpayers will bear much of the cost - not national ones.

Now you might say so what - well its s106 agreements and CIL that are sums paid by developers to support amenities around the development needed to support the new homes e.g.

affordable housing either in the development or nearby

local schools needed due to new housing developments

the roads to and in the development - and local buses

green spaces and play areas

additional parking provision

community projects

doctors surgeries etc

So enjoy your nice new discounted home - a pity it won't have road access, or a bus, a local school, a play area or a doctors surgery as your local council won't have any money to pay for these anymore! Enjoy!

Its just a bribe to big developers - and lets them off their wider responsibilities.

Vested Interests - its so obvious.

"Hey mister developer why can't you build cheaper houses"

"Its all that red tape and costs that the state impose on us"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, all that green nonsense, and Building Regs, and the S106 and the CIL, it just puts prices up and stops the free market from delivering"

"Ah! So we 're helping FTB, the free market, cutting red tape shrinking the state and getting votes ! Whats not to like....?"

HOLA4424
HOLA4425