House Price Crash Forum

House Sellers Are Renting Top-Of-The Range Cars For Estate Agent Photos

HOLA441

My nearest post office is in a pretty poor estate yet there are quite a few very new cars; not the junior exec 5 series stuff, more like PCP cheap monthly deals. C3s, Clios, Yarises etc. The sort of cars that can be seen in advertised with the attractive monthly payment written on it outside local Tesco etc. Dunno where the money comes from regardless, I saw a few people in the locale examining what was likely their new car in a snazzy colour; they looked bemused and if I were an alien I'd have said the two objects (the family and the car) were probably not from the same planet. I suppose all it needs to fit in is a couple of weeks of kerbing the alloys and the obligatory parking dent in the bootlid.

The growth of private loans (inc. auto loans) has been the biggest component of Osborne's debt recovereh (below). Add to that £28bn in PPI claims etc. and you have your explanation.

Individuals.gif

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA442

Council estates used to be the main repository for old big-engined exec barges and knackered repmobiles. I can't say I tour rough estates that extensively but, I get the impression, they aren't there now. Mystery where they've gone maybe they don't sell in the numbers to start with, any longer.

Near where I used to live in Swindon there was an estate with a few SD1s and Sierras in it, you could make out the turning circle on the communal grass out front from Google Earth photos. I daresay many of these cars were probably driven on a SORN. At least the PCP ones are probably insured these days.

HOLA443
HOLA444

This strategy would misfire badly if the potential buyer was a HPCer....to me it would just scream "MEW, desperate seller" :D

Like this?

My wife has identified a house and we have viewed it. Asking price has already been reduced by 10%+ and she is thinking 10% more off (I am thinking 20% more biggrin.gif). I am struggling to place a value on it. It is close to us but I am unsure of it's immediate area. I am hoping that there will be a major showstopper and I will not have to reveal my hand.

The thing that puts me off the most is that the seller has 2 large German saloons on the drive and I feel that is what I would be paying for, not the house.

HOLA445

I believe this story. It is a great bit of advertising - it says that "this is the type of place where a [insert name of German car company] owner lives." That works - would you rather be in a street with old bangers and caravans or new Mercs and Audis? Too many Mercs will put off potential racist buyers, though.

Yes, you should be able to separate your judgement from an EA's photo, but it all influences your judgement. Easy to sit behind a screen and call people "sheeple" for falling for advertising, but everyone feels that they are above advertising and that only other people fall for it (although I will accept that on a contrarian website like HPC, there are far fewer who fall for advertising nonsense).

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Quite right. It's more amazement that they would blow it on a car when outwardly at least there might be other more pressing priorities.

....but some don't think they are blowing it 0% means they get to buy it for free.....but the cost is only added to the price...the new car is the new mortgage they have been priced out of obtaining..... The cost is the what it costs to service each month not how long 0% will take to pay for......longer than the lifetime of the car.

HOLA449

I always look at the neighbours cars. I couldn't give a crap what sort of people are trying to sell. But I personally think its a decent indicator of confidence in the area on terms of not having your nice motor scratched and/or nicked.

Obviously MEW/PPI/credit is applicable but then, when cars are so "cheap" why doesn't everyone have a beamer?

HOLA4410

Lets look at the article in detail shall we? It surveys a few people that 10% WOULD hire a car and extrapolates that as people ARE hiring cars for this purpose.

You couldn't make it up.....oh...wait....err.. they just did! <_<

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

87% of buyers say they would definitely buy the house in a viewing if a BMW or AUDI was on the drive.

23% of buyers say they would definitely borrow more and bid higher if the house had solar panels.

73% of buyers say they would wet their pants at the thought of a famous celebrity had lived there before.

A good reflection on the moronic nature of the UK public. The only feature that has any actual value (the solar) draws the least interest.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Haha the seller pays? Presumably the ea has given up and tells the seller his car is putting them off (it is on bricks, and rusty). My cyncical side says the ea could take a kick back to the vehicle renting company. Saying that I think as other posters have said I think the story is made up!

HOLA4418

A good reflection on the moronic nature of the UK public. The only feature that has any actual value (the solar) draws the least interest.

It's good if it's owned outright! Not sure 20 years left on a 25-year lease roofing deal would add to the appeal!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420