House Price Crash Forum

Should Job-Hogging Over-50S All Resign?

HOLA441

As my Grandfather said before he died if I knew what was going to happen today I would have told them you fight their own ******* war, it was not for my benefit or for the benefit of my children and grandchildren`s future. <_<

Dude, if we we had not fought zee Germans today we would be living under Fascism. A stitch up between an all powerful state working with large businesses in a symbiotic arrangement to suppress the free market and deny us anything but the most sham pretense at democracy.

What we have today is much better.....and the people love it (Stockholme Syndrome style) you only have to watch question time to see people demanding more of the same with such passion.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Dude, if we we had not fought zee Germans today we would be living under Fascism. A stitch up between an all powerful state working with large businesses in a symbiotic arrangement to suppress the free market and deny us anything but the most sham pretense at democracy.

What we have today is much better.....and the people love it (Stockholme Syndrome style) you only have to watch question time to see people demanding more of the same with such passion.

One of the best, most incisive posts on here for a long time.

HOLA443

Because our Politicians have no time for the Indigenous or Naturalised citizens of this country and have the opinion of, get on your bike, cheap labour and big profits are now paramount. As my Grandfather said before he died if I knew what was going to happen today I would have told them you fight their own ******* war, it was not for my benefit or for the benefit of my children and grandchildren`s future. <_<

This evening (about 12.30am or so onwards ) 5 Live Radio had a "debate" on the UK unemployed, UK youth unemployed etc with a politician? seemingly in the studio. It became a bit heated and if I heard right he ended up calling them (or at least some of them) swine. I suppose it must be ok for them to call UK people names like that. In fact just about every section of the UK unemployed were subject to abuse and insult.

What was also remarkable was the possibility that the sheer numbers of eu incomers might in some way contribute to the numbers didn't seem to rate a mention. It was most strange.

Edited by billybong

HOLA444

Because our Politicians have no time for the Indigenous or Naturalised citizens of this country and have the opinion of, get on your bike, cheap labour and big profits are now paramount. As my Grandfather said before he died if I knew what was going to happen today I would have told them you fight their own ******* war, it was not for my benefit or for the benefit of my children and grandchildren`s future. <_<

And that wasn't plain to see when looking at how mill owners treated their workers 200 years before? Rose tinted specs on gramps I am afraid he was angry because he felt suckered into it but the system as we have now was in place long before WW2 and the big bad bosses.

We exploited our people and then we exploited our empire of people and got the working class to protect this system with their lives in two Workd Wars.

As I said I think your Grandfather was angry with himself for being taking like millions of others for a mug.

HOLA445

And that wasn't plain to see when looking at how mill owners treated their workers 200 years before? Rose tinted specs on gramps I am afraid he was angry because he felt suckered into it but the system as we have now was in place long before WW2 and the big bad bosses.

We exploited our people and then we exploited our empire of people and got the working class to protect this system with their lives in two Workd Wars.

As I said I think your Grandfather was angry with himself for being taking like millions of others for a mug.

So why didn't his generation foresee what the world would be like 50 years later. Why didn't they stop politicians of the day starting wars that would lead to massive debts that the boomers had to pay off. Greedy b@stards :P

HOLA446
I guess it's the same as under 30's driving up house prices by taking out liar loans whilst most of the under 30's can't afford to buy a house.

It takes two to tango; loans certified as both high yield and low risk (err... hang on)... manufactured by the over 50's in order to fill a yawning chasm in the portfolio of the over 50's... and gobbled up by them without pause... turbocharging the process...

the only thing NOT actually functioning is the financial system.

The wrong problem is being looked at.

It's almost as if the public who were able to change policies in this area were not interested in doing so...

... passive shareholders in our grandchildren's future... activism only when it directly appeals to their own self interest...

I remember this dream we were sold of a leisure society... then the bankers and accountants ran amok.

Curse those shiny suited salesemen and damn their vote-pitching ways to hell.

(haven't you twigged yet? marketing science developed the generation prior allowed this lot to anticipate demand and sell you exactly what you wanted to hear)

Salesmen never fully cost their proposals; it tends to get in the way of collecting commission...

The only crisis here is a political one; and it's an exhibition of sustained intertia leading to entropy dominating.

HOLA447

I'm over 50. If I give up work, what am I supposed to live on?

Yes

The only points in the article which is sensible is the fact that there are to many people chasing to few jobs and that young people should be in work rather than older people ,the majority of over 50s would finish tomorrow if they could afford to ME INCLUDED, but with pension schemes becoming virtually worthless for the amount you can afford to put in and the retirement age for Old Age pension being increased this situation is not going to get any better,and the fact that overseas workers coming into country flooding the market with workers ( some over 65 i assure you i know of them) is also not going to ease the problem.

Even when the economy does improve this situation is not going to get much better as because of large percentage of manufacturing has gone abroad and that is not going to change for a long while.

HOLA448

Ive a better idea. stop the need for a second income...One member of the "team" should work for "pin money", and the breadwinner should get the main job.

controversial, but while we need to find work for TWO breadwinners, just to afford rent/mortgage, and then the MEW on top, then the situation is never going to improve.

Unless of course the rest of the entire World is beating a path to our ports demanding all the produce we can make.

Look at the standard of the average feckwit who applies for the Sugar-show

- the unbelievable mistakes made with their so-called backgrounds and learned-expertise

How many stay on in his companies - after the first years winning prize-money?

Edited by erranta

HOLA449

Yes

The only points in the article which is sensible is the fact that there are to many people chasing to few jobs and that young people should be in work rather than older people ,the majority of over 50s would finish tomorrow if they could afford to ME INCLUDED, but with pension schemes becoming virtually worthless for the amount you can afford to put in and the retirement age for Old Age pension being increased this situation is not going to get any better,and the fact that overseas workers coming into country flooding the market with workers ( some over 65 i assure you i know of them) is also not going to ease the problem.

Even when the economy does improve this situation is not going to get much better as because of large percentage of manufacturing has gone abroad and that is not going to change for a long while.

It would be better to job/salary share with 50's bod passing on experience to younger colleague

You are right about pensions The City takes too much out of people's pots in fees and transaction charges - then their insurance arms offer rip-off rates for the final pension.

The City should be regulated like the dutch - whose citizens receive 40% higher pensions than UK ones!

Edited by erranta

HOLA4410

Yes

Absolutely! I'd pack up work at 55, and indulge in many hobbies, like my dad, but this won't happen to me! :huh:

Am I bitter? No more of a strong mild really! :lol::huh:

Edited by MrPin

HOLA4411

Absolutely! I'd pack up work at 55, and indulge in many hobbies, like my dad, but this won't happen to me! :huh:

Am I bitter? No more of a strong mild really! :lol::huh:

Well, maybe you could retire at 55 if your hobbies were....rabbitinggardeningcarbootingbeingpropertightfoodbankingebaying(buggerI'verunout)?

edit...missed beer making for one.

Edited by council dweller

HOLA4412

And the elephant in the room remains Immigration. Why, when we can't support our existing population or provide them with jobs and homes, do we keep our doors flung wide to the world?

Well, This is the question, isn't it.

There are countries in the world whose governments work in the interests of their nations, if something will bring harm to their people, they don't want any part. Likewise policy decisions will be made on the basis of giving them a competitive advantage. Countries in this group include China, Japan, Germany and Russia. Then there are governments whose aim seems to be to cannibalise its own population as much as possible, and decisions on international trade, immigration, foreign policy, social policy and finance seem to just bring more and more harm to their own peoples. This happens especially in Britain and USA.

The question is, who has so much influence over governments of USA and Uk to cause them to bring harm to their own people, but doesn't, historically or currently, have anywhere near the same sort of influence or lobbying power over say, the Chinese or German governments.

Edited by Britney's Piers

• 7 years later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
16 hours ago, winkie said:

Bump......for old times sake, just as relevant today, if not more so.;)

Yeah good to have our Daily Hate against "boomers" "pensioners" et al.

Question:  if there are not enough jobs to go round, why do we so desperately need immigrant workers?

HOLA4415
8 minutes ago, kzb said:

Question:  if there are not enough jobs to go round, why do we so desperately need immigrant workers?

Question: if there aren't enough jobs to go round then what the hell is everyone actually doing when so many jobs have vanished over the last few decades? Pointless busywork sustained by ever increasing debt?

HOLA4416
On 4/27/2012 at 11:43 PM, KingBingo said:

Dude KingBingo if we hadnt fought the germans in the first world war...there would have been no Nazis to fight in the second...the first caused the second......

HOLA4417
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2012 at 19:38, Britney's Piers said:

Well, This is the question, isn't it.

There are countries in the world whose governments work in the interests of their nations, if something will bring harm to their people, they don't want any part. Likewise policy decisions will be made on the basis of giving them a competitive advantage. Countries in this group include China, Japan, Germany and Russia. Then there are governments whose aim seems to be to cannibalise its own population as much as possible, and decisions on international trade, immigration, foreign policy, social policy and finance seem to just bring more and more harm to their own peoples. This happens especially in Britain and USA.

The question is, who has so much influence over governments of USA and Uk to cause them to bring harm to their own people, but doesn't, historically or currently, have anywhere near the same sort of influence or lobbying power over say, the Chinese or German governments.

Good question, this is something I constantly wonder about.   It's clear that governments are middle management at best.  Population-management department of the reptilian world order.

HOLA4418
On 4/27/2012 at 1:30 PM, stormymonday_2011 said:

Been saying this for years.

The idea that people can stay in full time education until their early 20s running up student debts then work for 30 years in which time they buy a house and accrue enough savings for retirement is laughable. As you rightly say the incoherence of most of the economic mantras spouted over the last 20 years has only been covered up by a mouintain of debt. Its logical incoherence is now plain for all to see yet we still see the same old crap being spouted in the media.Most people over 55 dont work because they love their jobs. They do it simply to pay their bills

i agree with that and the other ones are eating trifle at the end of a long sucession of pub lunches..putting the world to rights

HOLA4419
11 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Question: if there aren't enough jobs to go round then what the hell is everyone actually doing when so many jobs have vanished over the last few decades? Pointless busywork sustained by ever increasing debt?

Yes I think that is largely the case.  Also think how many are employed by so-called charities.

HOLA4420

I doubt much point quoting the folks that posted in 2012...many lost hope, bought houses and have seen them double in value thanks to the Herculean efforts of UKGov to inflate prices.

HOLA4421

I understand from my friend who is married to a Chinese lady that in China they typically retire people off early (50s) from good gov jobs.  Their first priority is social cohesion and they need to find employment for the young.

HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I understand from my friend who is married to a Chinese lady that in China they typically retire people off early (50s) from good gov jobs.  Their first priority is social cohesion and they need to find employment for the young.

What everyone needs to do is to earn enough during their working lives to support them for the entire lives. Simple as that. But you'll never stop most wanting to get as much as they can while they can.

Better would be to reverse the addiction to automation; it mostly exists to make it easier for those at the top to rake it all in for themselves.

HOLA4423
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2012 at 11:41, porca misèria said:

Kellaway, born 1959. The right side of that April 1960 catastrophic cutoff. Yeah, it's OK for some :unsure:

I note she refers do "desk-hogging" older folks. By that criterion I did my duty when I quit my last regular job and went self-employed in my thirties :PBut then, in UK IT you're on the scrapheap by that age :o

Not sure what part you are working in but where I am UK IT is beginning to look like an OAPs club. All the youngsters are recent immigrants.  

HOLA4424
3 hours ago, kzb said:

Nothing to do with hate against anyone including immigrants ...... More to do with those that can retire, are able to retire but are fearful of retirement......keep doing what they have always done...... enough knowledge and experience to help train those beneath them, give them a step up instead of blocking progress, nobody is indespensable, always a replacement, very often a better replacement.....just saying.;)

HOLA4425

I was pushed from my  job  year ago. Not a single interview in spite of applying for hundreds of jobs. Nobody wants a 61 year old IT manager so its charity work and truck driving at minimum wage for the next 6 years. Companies don't want experience because they don't want someone who will tell them they are wrong. Young staff put up with outrageous treatment in the workplace. What kind of a***hole tells staff at the Christmas staff meeting that reducing a hard working young married mum to tears in front of the entire office isn't bullying? Cognitive dissonance anyone?