House Price Crash Forum

Nationwide Tightens Up On Interest-Only Mortgages

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/mar/20/nationwide-interest-only-mortgages [Tuesday 20 March 2012]

Nationwide tightens up on interest-only mortgages

Nationwide slashes LTV on its interest-only deals, raising fears it will leave thousands of borrowers as 'mortgage prisoners

Nationwide building society has slashed the maximum loan-to-value (LTV) ratio on its interest-only mortgages from 75% to 50%, leading to fears that interest-only deals will eventually disappear, and leaving thousands of "mortgage prisoners" unable to switch to new deals.

The rule change means borrowers will have to stump up a deposit of £80,773 to afford an average home in England and Wales on an interest-only basis.

The lender, which lowered the LTV for interest-only borrowers from 85% to 75% in April 2011, said the policy was a response to similar changes by other lenders.

Industry insiders said Santander's decision in February 2012 to reduce its maximum lending on an interest-only basis to 50% LTV led to borrowers flocking to Nationwide for interest-only deals.

Martyn Dyson, head of mortgages at Nationwide, said: "A number of major lenders have recently restricted their criteria for interest-only mortgages, and Nationwide needs to be able to manage application levels in a prudent and sustainable manner. The group is therefore amending its policy to a maximum of 50% LTV."

As well as slashing the LTV on interest-only products, high street lenders have also begun introducing stricter rules regarding which savings and investment vehicles can be used to repay interest-only mortgages.

In February 2012 Lloyds Banking Group announced it would no longer accept cash savings, including Isas, as an acceptable way to fund the repayment of an interest-only mortgage. Instead, Lloyds – which includes Lloyds TSB, Bank of Scotland, Halifax and Cheltenham & Gloucester – views investment products such as endowments and equity Isas as better longer-term vehicles for settling an interest-only mortgage.

Barclays also requires interest-only borrowers to use only approved investment vehicles such as endowments, mutual funds or equities, while Royal Bank of Scotland, which has a 75% LTV for interest-only mortgages, will not allow first-time buyers to take out a mortgage of this type at all.

Mark Harris, chief executive of mortgage broker SPF Private Clients, said: "It's like a pack of cards – one lender folds and the others inevitably follow. It is a shame for borrowers, but no real surprise.

"Interest-only borrowing is not necessarily reckless borrowing, as long as there is a repayment strategy in place. However, we are getting closer and closer to seeing it disappear, making mortgage prisoners of those who have an interest-only mortgage unless they can switch to repayment."

David Hollingworth of London & Country Mortgages said: "This is the latest nail in the coffin of interest-only mortgages. Those with interest-only mortgages will need to think about the ramifications of these changes. It is likely to force a rethink of how to repay the mortgage, simply because of the level of equity in the home rather than the existence of a prudent repayment strategy."

A Nationwide spokeswoman said existing customers would not be affected, even if they want to remortgage. However, if they need to take on additional borrowing the lender would "need to talk about affordability". If that additional borrowing breaks the 50% LTV ratio Nationwide would talk about switching customers to a repayment mortgage.

The news comes just days after Martin Wheatley, a director of the Financial Services Authority, told the Treasury Select Committee about the "ticking timebomb that exists today": hundreds of thousands of people in their late-50s unable to repay one of the 1.5m interest-only mortgages due to expire in the next 10 years.

------------

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/mar/20/nationwide-interest-only-mortgages [Tuesday 20 March 2012]

Nationwide tightens up on interest-only mortgages

Nationwide slashes LTV on its interest-only deals, raising fears it will leave thousands of borrowers as 'mortgage prisoners

Nationwide building society has slashed the maximum loan-to-value (LTV) ratio on its interest-only mortgages from 75% to 50%, leading to fears that interest-only deals will eventually disappear, and leaving thousands of "mortgage prisoners" unable to switch to new deals.

The rule change means borrowers will have to stump up a deposit of £80,773 to afford an average home in England and Wales on an interest-only basis.

The lender, which lowered the LTV for interest-only borrowers from 85% to 75% in April 2011, said the policy was a response to similar changes by other lenders.

Industry insiders said Santander's decision in February 2012 to reduce its maximum lending on an interest-only basis to 50% LTV led to borrowers flocking to Nationwide for interest-only deals.

Martyn Dyson, head of mortgages at Nationwide, said: "A number of major lenders have recently restricted their criteria for interest-only mortgages, and Nationwide needs to be able to manage application levels in a prudent and sustainable manner. The group is therefore amending its policy to a maximum of 50% LTV."

As well as slashing the LTV on interest-only products, high street lenders have also begun introducing stricter rules regarding which savings and investment vehicles can be used to repay interest-only mortgages.

In February 2012 Lloyds Banking Group announced it would no longer accept cash savings, including Isas, as an acceptable way to fund the repayment of an interest-only mortgage. Instead, Lloyds – which includes Lloyds TSB, Bank of Scotland, Halifax and Cheltenham & Gloucester – views investment products such as endowments and equity Isas as better longer-term vehicles for settling an interest-only mortgage.

Barclays also requires interest-only borrowers to use only approved investment vehicles such as endowments, mutual funds or equities, while Royal Bank of Scotland, which has a 75% LTV for interest-only mortgages, will not allow first-time buyers to take out a mortgage of this type at all.

Mark Harris, chief executive of mortgage broker SPF Private Clients, said: "It's like a pack of cards – one lender folds and the others inevitably follow. It is a shame for borrowers, but no real surprise.

"Interest-only borrowing is not necessarily reckless borrowing, as long as there is a repayment strategy in place. However, we are getting closer and closer to seeing it disappear, making mortgage prisoners of those who have an interest-only mortgage unless they can switch to repayment."

David Hollingworth of London & Country Mortgages said: "This is the latest nail in the coffin of interest-only mortgages. Those with interest-only mortgages will need to think about the ramifications of these changes. It is likely to force a rethink of how to repay the mortgage, simply because of the level of equity in the home rather than the existence of a prudent repayment strategy."

A Nationwide spokeswoman said existing customers would not be affected, even if they want to remortgage. However, if they need to take on additional borrowing the lender would "need to talk about affordability". If that additional borrowing breaks the 50% LTV ratio Nationwide would talk about switching customers to a repayment mortgage.

The news comes just days after Martin Wheatley, a director of the Financial Services Authority, told the Treasury Select Committee about the "ticking timebomb that exists today": hundreds of thousands of people in their late-50s unable to repay one of the 1.5m interest-only mortgages due to expire in the next 10 years.

------------

Is this a bit unclear? An existing customer who wants to remortgage an IO at over 50% LTV will be ok, but an existing customer who has an IO with current LTV of 45% who wants to remortgage and take it to 55% will be swapped to repayment? Maybe I've read it wrong.

edit wrong number used

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Is this a bit unclear? An existing customer who wants to remortgage an IO at over 50% LTV will be ok, but an existing customer who has an IO with current LTV of 45% who wants to remortgage and take it to 55% will be swapped to repayment? Maybe I've read it wrong.

edit wrong number used

that what i was reading, but i could be wrong

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Why is everyone so against IO mortgages and what is the banks problem with using isa saving to pay of the actual loan .I see nothing wrong with this so long as you are putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage ,seems easy enough to work out how much this needs to be .But the banks want us to gamble with our money .

HOLA4416

Why is everyone so against IO mortgages and what is the banks problem with using isa saving to pay of the actual loan .I see nothing wrong with this so long as you are putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage ,seems easy enough to work out how much this needs to be

Then why not have a repayment mortgage which will cost you less in the long run?

HOLA4417

Why is everyone so against IO mortgages and what is the banks problem with using isa saving to pay of the actual loan .I see nothing wrong with this so long as you are putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage ,seems easy enough to work out how much this needs to be .But the banks want us to gamble with our money .

...what is the point in doing that?.....we have today the lowest interest rates in history, pay your debt off as quickly as you can whilst you have the chance to pay it back at the cheapest price.

£200,000 mortgage if interest rate stays at say 5.5%.....a repayment mortgage over 25 years interest payable £168,452.

£200,000 mortgage if interest rate stays at say 5.5%....an Interest only mortgage over 25 years interest payable £275,000.

HOLA4418
...what is the point in doing that?.....we have today the lowest interest rates in history, pay your debt off as quickly as you can whilst you have the chance to pay it back at the cheapest price.

£200,000 mortgage if interest rate stays at say 5.5%.....a repayment mortgage over 25 years interest payable £168,452.

£200,000 mortgage if interest rate stays at say 5.5%....an Interest only mortgage over 25 years interest payable £275,000.

Beat me to it - anyone "putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage" would have to be an utter moron not to be using the money to pay down the mortgage instead. There's no investment that will pay out better than paying down your mortgage

HOLA4419

Beat me to it - anyone "putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage" would have to be an utter moron not to be using the money to pay down the mortgage instead. There's no investment that will pay out better than paying down your mortgage.

OK that all makes sense.

Why is everyone so against IO mortgages and what is the banks problem with using isa saving to pay of the actual loan .I see nothing wrong with this so long as you are putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage ,seems easy enough to work out how much this needs to be .But the banks want us to gamble with our money.

Yes; as a buyer, gamble with your own money, if you've actually got some. Many buyers have been willing to take a large interest only mortgages despite the logic above in repayment, jumping infront of someone financially better positioned as their competition, using the lenders interest only money.

Tightening up interest only means sellers have fewer well positioned buyers able to meet their asking prices, thus more likely asking prices will have to fall.

HOLA4420

I promise to put £x in my isa every month isn't the same as having £xxxx in your isa to pay off your mortgage.

Even having £££ in your isa doesn't mean you don't fritter it away before paying the mortgage

HOLA4421

Why is everyone so against IO mortgages and what is the banks problem with using isa saving to pay of the actual loan .I see nothing wrong with this so long as you are putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage

The point is most people were not putting aside enough each month, and in many cases were not putting anything aside each month.

Plus cash ISAs are so easy to dip into to fund that holiday, new car or kitchen that you deserve becoz you're worth it.

Edited by Little Professor

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Beat me to it - anyone "putting aside enough each month to cover the repayment of the mortgage" would have to be an utter moron not to be using the money to pay down the mortgage instead. There's no investment that will pay out better than paying down your mortgage

With 40% deposit you can (last time I looked anyway) get 2.5% mortgage.

I'm getting 4% on my cash, so you can effectively "buy" a more expensive house than you have in cash by using the income differential to cover the remaining 60%.

eg a simplified example:

100K house

70K savings

40K deposit

60K mortgage @ 2% = 1200/year

30K interest @ 4% a year = 1200/year

HOLA4424

(from the article in OP)

Don't panic!

It reads like they were having mountains of paperwork from massive demand!

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4425

With 40% deposit you can (last time I looked anyway) get 2.5% mortgage.

I'm getting 4% on my cash, so you can effectively "buy" a more expensive house than you have in cash by using the income differential to cover the remaining 60%.

eg a simplified example:

100K house

70K savings

40K deposit

60K mortgage @ 2% = 1200/year

30K interest @ 4% a year = 1200/year

Is the 4% tax free?

How long does the 2% last?

If mortgage rates rise when the 2% ends can you exit the 4% to try find a better rate? Any exit penalty fees?

If mortgage rates rose but saving rates lagged (like now) you would need a mortgage that allowed you to overpay using the £30k

Edited by Democorruptcy