House Price Crash Forum

‘Far too early’ to propose UK interest rate cuts, says Bank of England governor

fellow

HOLA441

‘Far too early’ to propose UK interest rate cuts, says Bank of England governor

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/20/uk-interest-rates-inflation-bank-of-england-governor-andrew-bailey

UK interest rates will need to stay high for some time despite the sharp fall in the annual inflation rate, the governor of the Bank of England has warned.

Andrew Bailey used a speech in London on food prices to say there was more work to do to bring inflation back to its 2% target – and there remained a risk that borrowing costs might need to increase in the coming months.

“Let me be very clear: it is far too early to be thinking about rate cuts,” Bailey said.

Bailey said inflation remained well above its official 2% target and the Bank’s rate-setting monetary policy committee (MPC) had to be alert to the threat that previous increases in the cost of food and energy would have knock-on effects on prices and wages. “Food prices tend to be very salient to consumers and closely linked to inflation expectations, so the evolution of food prices will matter for wage growth looking ahead,” Bailey said.

The governor said: “Monetary policy is currently restrictive in the sense that, if we maintain this stance for long enough, we will squeeze inflation out of the system. That is what we will do. This also means being on watch for further signs of inflation persistence that may require interest rates to rise again.

“How long a restrictive stance will be needed will ultimately depend on what the incoming data tell us about the outlook for overall consumer price inflation over the medium term. The MPC’s latest projections indicate that monetary policy is likely to need to be restrictive for quite some time yet.”

The conflict in the Middle East had added upside risks to energy prices and consequently to the cost of food production, Bailey said.

Edited by fellow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The job of BOE guvner seems to be mainly talking tough and looking stern.

They should get Vinny Jones to do it.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Jerome has spoken!

I agree they are not high now. Sub-1% is not 'normal' either.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
3 hours ago, Timm said:

The job of BOE guvner seems to be mainly talking tough and looking stern.

They should get Vinny Jones to do it.

Desperation for months  not to cause a panic.

Both the media and the BOE spinning and spinning (hoping and hoping) that rate rises would be a temporary measure. I've got to say it did work although I think for the masses its really starting to wear thin now. Two colleagues in my circle are really starting to get nervous about the prospect of finding an extra £1000 a month in the next 14-18 months. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Casual-observer said:

Desperation for months  not to cause a panic.

Both the media and the BOE spinning and spinning (hoping and hoping) that rate rises would be a temporary measure. I've got to say it did work although I think for the masses its really starting to wear thin now. Two colleagues in my circle are really starting to get nervous about the prospect of finding an extra £1000 a month in the next 14-18 months. 

1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

No, you're too early.  Come back in the summer and then we might see some.

If they cut rates now inflation will just take off again.

Now is the time for a 10 year fix.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
18 minutes ago, morty said:

I got an email from my energy provider that prices are going up January.  Is that inflationary or will it be creatively hidden away lol.

Mine's dropping by 35% in December. Not sure who you're with but might want to switch?

Is it prices going up or your standing order going up being you're using more than anticipated?

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Unmoderated said:

Mine's dropping by 35% in December. Not sure who you're with but might want to switch?

Is it prices going up or your standing order going up being you're using more than anticipated?

I thought I would stay on a variable tariff (to my detriment I guess) because of all this talk about lowering rates and possibly lowering energy prices.  Now I’m starting to think a rate cut could weaken sterling and energy prices might go up.  Now I’m starting to think I’ve got no idea, flipping randomonics.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
14 minutes ago, morty said:

I thought I would stay on a variable tariff (to my detriment I guess) because of all this talk about lowering rates and possibly lowering energy prices.  Now I’m starting to think a rate cut could weaken sterling and energy prices might go up.  Now I’m starting to think I’ve got no idea, flipping randomonics.

GBP up nicely today! 

Who knows, nobody can predict the future but energy costs are lower year over year think? That's the biggest contributor to the fall in CPI last month. 

HOLA4424
8 minutes ago, Stewy said:

They're not looking ahead. Fools. 🙄

Arguably they are when they're making reference to further inflation shocks, one being the fallout to a Ukraine war not going in the wests favour. 

There's more to an economy than salvaging uneven house prices

Edited by Casual-observer

HOLA4425