House Price Crash Forum

Shoplifting is out of control. Forget the police – stores need to up their game

HOLA441
On 27/08/2023 at 09:40, Armus said:

It should also be legal to beat the **** out of someone who is in the process of committing a crime.  The criminal should forfeit any rights to compo for injury / loss of life while committing a crime.  I'd imagine this type of crime would drop quite sharply as a result.

This often gets trotted out and is completely ridiculous- you're literally saying a shopkeeper can KILL someone because they THINK they're about to shoplift a packet of biscuits?!

Sure shoplifting would drop.  Murders would explode.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
22 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

This often gets trotted out and is completely ridiculous- you're literally saying a shopkeeper can KILL someone because they THINK they're about to shoplift a packet of biscuits?!

It wouldn’t be murder, it would be a legal act.

HOLA444
HOLA445
On 27/08/2023 at 09:32, winkie said:

No just general crime costs, if people have no money what use is there fining them?....if they have a drug habit what is the answer?....if they know it has become easier to shoplift to sell on for gain, how can that be corrected?......if they just don't care if they get caught or not, they will carry on doing what have always done.....lots of growing social problems require fixing......what is the answer? Got nothing got nothing to lose?;)

Its got noticeably worse in London. I've seen people trying to run out of the store with relatively low value items. Some look like they are feeding a habit, but not all.

HOLA446

In aldi last week bags now have to be inspected at the checkout  lady on checkout said that its now policy, she told me of many cases of beer are not being paid for they are put underneath the trolley with a bag covering them from the operators  sight, also they were selling  metal clothes dryers they were being taped to the side of the trolley and then against the checkout shelf she said out of around 50 in stock last week only a third had been paid for 

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

Why stop at shoplifting when there are Bolsheviks, Homosexuals and Jews to exterminate?

I’d vote for fly tippers, in fact I am fundamentally morally opposed to capital punishment, but I’d make an exception for fly tippers. 

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA449
3 hours ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Hard work doesn't pay (you), but it will buy the business owners wife another £4000 bag.

When work pays well again, we'll see a return to working hard. Effort vs reward. Until then, stealing gear will be on the rise.

I get the sympathy, but a lot of local stores in poor areas are not owned by billionaires and they will put their prices up to make a living.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

I’d vote for fly tippers, in fact I am fundamentally morally opposed to capital punishment, but I’d make an exception for fly tippers. 

Agree. But the councils don't help themselves. I tried to take a small ride on mower tyre to the tip last week. Turns out tyres are one of the things they charge for and wanted me to pay £5. I took it back home again. I'll chop the bloody thing up and dispose of it in my household bins.

If they dropped some of those charges surely it will save them money in the long run as people will be less likely to dump stuff illegally if they know they can dispose of it at the tip for free. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
2 hours ago, pig said:

Its got noticeably worse in London. I've seen people trying to run out of the store with relatively low value items. Some look like they are feeding a habit, but not all.

Who knows, all do know thieving from shops on the increase, different reasons, or now just easier to do it.......fewer workers everywhere to keep an check on it....people don't want to get involved.;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
28 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

These videos of young thugs performing high street smash and grabs, or stealing bikes in broad daylight are a relatively recent phenomena. 

Yes.  Although perhaps mostly because the ubiquitous CCTV and smart phones that capture the videos are a recent phenomenon?   Not the same video coverage in years gone by....

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, scottbeard said:

Yes.  Although perhaps mostly because the ubiquitous CCTV and smart phones that capture the videos are a recent phenomenon?   Not the same video coverage in years gone by....

Yes, if you grew up in the 60's, 70's 80's you were taught that mass surveillance was the enemy of democracy, and the former east german stasi, the commies were always held up as an example.

But apparently if the surveillance is conducted by a society ruled by globalist billionaires, then its completely fine... 

Another twisted New Labour introduction, based upon an innacurate view of liberty.

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

Yes, if you grew up in the 60's, 70's 80's you were taught that mass surveillance was the enemy of democracy, and the former east german stasi, the commies were always held up as an example.

But apparently if the surveillance is conducted by a society ruled by globalist billionaires, then its completely fine... 

Another twisted New Labour introduction, based upon an innacurate view of liberty.

The difference though is that Elon Musk doesn't send a death squad to hoick you out of your bed and execute you in the night if you post that twitter...sorry X...is crap.

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

The difference though is that Elon Musk doesn't send a death squad to hoick you out of your bed and execute you in the night if you post that twitter...sorry X...is crap.

Well that didnt work, the wall fell, instead we have a sort of Neo Feudalistic, mass media directed, soft fascism, with the occasional, woops a daisy mistake, which 'accidentally' pushes over 100 million people over the poverty line.

HOLA4419
8 hours ago, Armus said:

What's the upside or downside of productivity falling for Mr. or Mrs. Bloggs?

Productivity has an impact on how competitive the UK is compared to the rest of the world and our trading partners. To compete effectively with in a slower productivity growth environment, may require lower wages to maintain profit margins, achieved by cutting such labour input costs (potentially with less workers, lower pay, longer hours, less investment in automation etc.).

Producing more with less should help to enable rising living standards, particularly if profits are invested and redistributed into the economy, more taxes collected, greater spend on country infrastructure projects, welfare, education, health (to contribute to further increase productivity) and benefit all of society. I think that is a preferable outcome than the trap of negative/flat lined productivity growth that the UK has fallen into. Gov't can help induce productivity gains with targeted investment programs and regeneration projects but that requires vision and planning with a sense of social responsibility for the many, sadly something that we haven't seen in the UK's political leadership for nearly 50 years! Unless you think forever HPI is a sound long term economic strategy, whilst savagely asset stripping everything in the country to enrich a select minority and quietly redirecting taxation into private sector corporate maggots, guaranteeing that society will get even less value for more of a percentage of our hourly labour.

As Chunky Dave often says "them Torys ain't cheap ya know!"

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, Armus said:

That's the spirit 😂

Where I lived with my ex wife at the end of the road was a main road and a steep drop next to it. People started dumping stuff there. The guy at the end of the road thought it was a good idea to put up a sign saying “no fly tipping” idiot gave passers by the idea, dumping increased exponentially. I would have picked them off with a rifle tbh.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4421
On 27/08/2023 at 17:58, Nick Cash said:

Stores already allow self scanning either as you pay or as you walk around. 

I use 2 different Sainsburys supermarkets. One is in a less desirable area. Different ranges etc etc. In that one I arrive to conclude my self scanned trolley purchases into a secure area. Can’t leave without scanning the receipt. They occasionally do random searches to check you’ve scanned corrrectly (twice in 18 months for me).

Perhaps they’ll introduce scanning at entrance to get in and ensure the only way out is via controlled barriers.

Random checks is why I don’t do it. Lnackered after looking after a toddler I left my potatoes in the trolley and didn’t notice. Luckily the toll staff did and picked them up and scanned them. Else could have been accused of stealing.

HOLA4422
12 minutes ago, MancTom said:

Random checks is why I don’t do it. Lnackered after looking after a toddler I left my potatoes in the trolley and didn’t notice. Luckily the toll staff did and picked them up and scanned them. Else could have been accused of stealing.

Exactly.  Easily done.  And some idiot on this thread wants it to be legal to kill shoplifters 🙄

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

Where I lived with my ex wife at the end of the road was a main road and a steep drop next to it. People started dumping stuff there. The guy at the end of the road thought it was a good idea to put up a sign saying “no fly tipping” idiot gave passers by the idea, dumping increased exponentially. I would have picked them off with a rifle tbh.

HOLA4424
7 hours ago, scottbeard said:

That happens today in many countries. My wife lived in Tanzania for a year and just missed a stoning at the local market - someone had been caught stealing from a stall and the whole community stoned them to death. 

Murder is higher there than it is in the UK by around 3x but they are fairly middle of the pack by global standards  They definitely have a better community spirit than the UK. Thats a country where your neighbours wont look the other way when you are in trouble.

HOLA4425

In a few shops there is this tech I don't understand where you just dump your clothes into an area on the counter and they're picked up by a sort of scanner automatically. You pay, put them into your bags and go. 

Not sure how it would work with groceries but is it that tech a leap to apply to a shopping trolley?