House Price Crash Forum

"Brexit has failed" - what happens next

HOLA441
5 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

I voted for Brexit, on balance.

Not apologetic at all & completely accept the loss of opportunity in exchange for eliminating two low likelihood but extremely high impact threats.

The hat will be passed round when a member state collapses.  Very content with being able to say 'non' if we choose to do so.

Also war (which is a possible consequence of the above).  Much happier to be directed by Nato than Brussels in the event of conflict in Europe.

Much of this thread is people congratulating each other on their marvellous analysis of why Brexit was a terrible mistake, or rounding on anyone who presents any counter argument.  If you disagree, please quote 1 single post by an ardent remainer  acknowledging a valid point made by a Brexiter.  Such on one way street on this thread.

So, how about discussing what happens next (see title), rather than engaging in a futile multi year moan about more people voting to leave than voted to remain?

I'll give you a clue, it's not rejoining,  other than possibly as an associate with cast iron guarantees limiting liability when member states are in distress & heavily restricting FOM.

Well that is funny because our post-Brexit economic state seems much worse than if a state had collapsed in the EU, and as we are effectively experiencing Europe at war its doubly unclear what the point of your vote was.

I do remember posters getting hysterical over the idea of a European army: not sure what that was about so maybe something more psychological/cultural going on there ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
5 hours ago, winkie said:

Love Britain, the British climate and the British people, just don't like how Britain is being run, progress to improve is slow......the economy has got worse since we have left the EU, when compared to similar economies in Europe over same time span, recovery after pandemic.....it is clear to see that lower income people might have less money over there but they feel richer than those with less here.....the euro goes further, the health, energy and transport has improved vastly over the last 25 years, clear to see in many paces, and generally the people seem more contented and settled than people here.....they have their problems like everybody but the solution and the support is seen to be more easily obtainable....less uncertainty imo......l want us to do better, we deserve to do better than are doing, why the backwards trajectory?.;)

Yep

HOLA443
6 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

I voted for Brexit, on balance.

Not apologetic at all & completely accept the loss of opportunity in exchange for eliminating two low likelihood but extremely high impact threats.

The hat will be passed round when a member state collapses.  Very content with being able to say 'non' if we choose to do so.

It is our membership of the IMF that will commit us to contributing to any state bailouts, leaving the EU has not changed that.    

Also war (which is a possible consequence of the above).  Much happier to be directed by Nato than Brussels in the event of conflict in Europe.

Again leaving the EU has not changed that

So, how about discussing what happens next (see title), rather than engaging in a futile multi year moan about more people voting to leave than voted to remain?

That would be good

I'll give you a clue, it's not rejoining,  other than possibly as an associate with cast iron guarantees limiting liability when member states are in distress & heavily restricting FOM.

Us ending up as some sort of associate member, following EU rules but with no vote in setting them, was always my expectation for our likely end point.  We never had any liabliity towards members in distress and could heavily restrict FoM using the rules we declined to implement when we were a member, so neither of these are an obstacle to this.

Rejoining isn't worth talking about because we would not be trusted to not repeat the whole Brexit process 10yrs later and multiple states would veto our application. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
26 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

We're on track for the biggest ever tourism numbers this year. Presumably they're all coming to laugh at us in our isolation?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-tourism-visitors-economy-international-arrivals-summer-b1097836.html

Just goes to shows that the wider world has got richer and the tourists can get more pounds for their currency.......tax free shopping for them......maybe they might buy up some more London property, such good value at the moment.;)

HOLA446
Just now, winkie said:

Just goes to shows that the wider world has got richer and the tourists can get more pounds for their currency.......tax free shopping for them......maybe they might buy up some more London property, such good value at the moment.;)

Also millions had to put off their 'holiday of a lifetime' to Europe for a few years.

HOLA447
28 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

We're on track for the biggest ever tourism numbers this year. Presumably they're all coming to laugh at us in our isolation?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-tourism-visitors-economy-international-arrivals-summer-b1097836.html

Well surely Southern Europe is finished ?  Who is going to pay to take part in "Global Boiling" ?

Tourists will now head north in Summer.  Scandinavian countries are expensive, so Britain it is.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
15 hours ago, Up the spout said:

Also millions had to put off their 'holiday of a lifetime' to Europe for a few years.

Travelling is a good thing to do.......would be like being incarcerated if had to stay in a 15 mile radius of one place.....the pandemic did so much harm both physical and mental to so many people.....there were those who did travel the world cannot just stop.;)

HOLA4411
16 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Today: £1 =  €1.16

Ten years ago today: £1 = €1.15

Lots of different currencies.......when the EU created the euro Jan 1999 we got very many more euros to the pound than we do now.;)

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-EUR-1999

Edit to say: looking at that graph were as high as 1.60€ to the pound, it fell after the GFC and the bailout of the banks with QE.....by 2015 it had risen nicely to 1.40€ now dropped back quite a bit......very inflationary when we purchase so much from not only Europe but from other places in the world, that is partly why the BofE is keen to raise our base rate to try to not let the pound slip any further that would heighten inflation even more. 

Edited by winkie

HOLA4412
25 minutes ago, winkie said:

Travelling is a good thing to do.......would be like being incarcerated if had to stay in a 15 mile radius of one place.....the pandemic did so much harm both physical and mental to so many people.....there were those who did travel the world cannot just stop.;)

Yeah I haven't had a 'proper' holiday in 3 years, although I have moved country 3 times for work (I'm moving to Qingdao, China from England this week and probably staying a couple of years). 

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, Up the spout said:

Yeah I haven't had a 'proper' holiday in 3 years, although I have moved country 3 times for work (I'm moving to Qingdao, China from England this week and probably staying a couple of years). 

Enjoy, someone I know now lives out there teaching English as a foreign language at the moment.....since being there they can now speak mandarin fluently....let us know how it goes.;)

HOLA4414
31 minutes ago, winkie said:

Enjoy, someone I know now lives out there teaching English as a foreign language at the moment.....since being there they can now speak mandarin fluently....let us know how it goes.;)

It's an incredibly difficult language to learn, especially if your own language has Romance or Germanic roots, so I'm in awe of those who do. I've haven't lived there for over 3 years, but still have friends and an apartment with some stuff in nearby Weifang. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Someone, I can't be bothered to search for it, stated that those of us who would like to be back in the EU never admit to a single advantage of Brexit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, one advantage of Brexit is white eggs.

Since we don't export much stuff anymore, the French are no longer paying a premium for our white eggs, so they are now on our supermarket shelves.

So, the advantage of Brexit is white eggs.

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Someone, I can't be bothered to search for it, stated that those of us who would like to be back in the EU never admit to a single advantage of Brexit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, one advantage of Brexit is white eggs.

Since we don't export much stuff anymore, the French are no longer paying a premium for our white eggs, so they are now on our supermarket shelves.

So, the advantage of Brexit is white eggs.

For me I could list a few advantages of brexit.

• We may leave the UK at some point, so hopefully that will mean fewer Brits competing for houses on the continent, wherever we decide to buy.
  • Devalued GBP. Good for my global ETF investment. Good to erode my GBP debt.
  • If we do ever form another freedom of movement deal with another set of countries that brexiters prefer, then that will add to my options. We have UK and EU passports.
  • Faster EU only queues when we arrive somewhere in the EU on a flight full of Brits.

Could be others that I'm not thinking of right now.

HOLA4419

Allo allo, Dutch farmers doing well in the polls - what’s this? The EU discovers they are a bunch of fraudsters!!

not sure whether this reflects badly on the EU, the Farmers or both?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/07/dutch-farmers-eu-subsidies-land-do-not-own/

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4420
59 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Allo allo, Dutch farmers doing well in the polls - what’s this? The EU discovers they are a bunch of fraudsters!!

not sure whether this reflects badly on the EU, the Farmers or both?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/07/dutch-farmers-eu-subsidies-land-do-not-own/

"And if you thought these Tories were bad..."

HOLA4421
6 hours ago, dugsbody said:

For me I could list a few advantages of brexit.

• We may leave the UK at some point, so hopefully that will mean fewer Brits competing for houses on the continent, wherever we decide to buy.
  • Devalued GBP. Good for my global ETF investment. Good to erode my GBP debt.
  • If we do ever form another freedom of movement deal with another set of countries that brexiters prefer, then that will add to my options. We have UK and EU passports.
  • Faster EU only queues when we arrive somewhere in the EU on a flight full of Brits.

Could be others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Brits are still buying, but not just any Brit those that have the income, wealth and health.....young families always in demand.;)

HOLA4422

Sunak's cronies are putting some asylum seekers onto the barge now.

I hope they like it and tell all their friends, currently in Calais, how good it is so they all come over.

The more the merrier :D.

Edit: They had 35 people on the coach, 15 boarded the barge and 20 refused :lol:.

For those who think that small boats and Brexit are separate issues, I give you...

New report on small boat crossings launched by Professor Thom Brooks - Durham University

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4423
11 hours ago, winkie said:

Edit to say: looking at that graph were as high as 1.60€ to the pound, it fell after the GFC and the bailout of the banks with QE.....by 2015 it had risen nicely to 1.40€ now dropped back quite a bit..

Looking at a longer term plot like that, it looks to me that the 2015 peak is anomalous for the post-2008 era.   The pound seems to have settled back to a similar level to 2009-2013. 

HOLA4424
On 06/08/2023 at 13:52, Confusion of VIs said:

It is our membership of the IMF that will commit us to contributing to any state bailouts, leaving the EU has not changed that.    

Britain needs to resign it's membership of the IMF and the UN and any other giant organisation that threatens our sovereignty 

HOLA4425