House Price Crash Forum

"Brexit has failed" - what happens next

HOLA441

Confusion of VIs

• Confusion of VIs
  • Members

he Brexit fails are coming thick and fast now and ironically impacting the groups that most believed in it the hardest. 

Before the vote Farrage claimed that Leaving would protect our steel industry, our fishing industry and our farmers.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

Still at least the birds are getting fed:

The farming minister, Mark Spencer, said he would be “pitching very hard” to Sunak to increase the farming payments budget from £2.4bn a year. ...

Tim Farron, the Lib Dem farming spokesperson, criticised the Tories’ “botched transition” and said hill farmers in his constituency had been losing 41% of their income under the new environment schemes. He said there had been “lakeland clearances”, where large landlords turf tenant farmers off the hills to join lucrative government nature schemes. Spencer promised he would take action to stop landowners moving tenants off and planting large parts of their farm as wild bird food to receive payments of £800 an acre. However, this appears to be only in the form of “issuing very strong guidance”

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'd imagine most of us, if we are being honest, would think it prudent to hold off to decide whether, in the longer term, whether Brexit was good, bad or neutral for the UK. 

One of my biggest concerns was that the EU would wrest control of our massive financial services market from us.  I think the EU (and the rest of the world for that matter) don't now see that as a likely scenario for an abundance of reasons, hence they have watered down their aspiration:

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-helped-britain-keep-euro-clearing-london-brexit/

So, this is one of the main reasons Brexit was considered financial suicide, but it turns out to be just an opportunity for the EU to agree that no-one actually does this better than London.

In due course we shall see how th Target2 scheme comes to an end as, realistically, Germany cannot continue to accept IOUs for their goods and services from the PIGS just to make their country look more competitive than it really is.

If one country does seem to be suffering from Brexit, as I accept we currently are, potentially in the short term, its the Germans.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, newgi said:

I'd imagine most of us, if we are being honest, would think it prudent to hold off to decide whether, in the longer term, whether Brexit was good, bad or neutral for the UK. 

One of my biggest concerns was that the EU would wrest control of our massive financial services market from us.  I think the EU (and the rest of the world for that matter) don't now see that as a likely scenario for an abundance of reasons, hence they have watered down their aspiration:

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-helped-britain-keep-euro-clearing-london-brexit/

So, this is one of the main reasons Brexit was considered financial suicide, but it turns out to be just an opportunity for the EU to agree that no-one actually does this better than London.

In due course we shall see how th Target2 scheme comes to an end as, realistically, Germany cannot continue to accept IOUs for their goods and services from the PIGS just to make their country look more competitive than it really is.

If one country does seem to be suffering from Brexit, as I accept we currently are, potentially in the short term, its the Germans.

Nobody in Europe should be suffering from Brexit.......how many countries in the EU now would vote to go alone like we have done? 

Russia would love it if they did......;)

HOLA444
HOLA445
On 19/02/2024 at 18:24, Huggy said:

:lol:

Breaking News by "leftfootforward" no less.

I think I have a good grasp on what happened here. If these 90% were 'far right', they'd be charged with insurrection of that poll ;)

Oh, and fake news if they had written that article...

In the true spirit of this Big Fat Remain Thread, thank you for proving our (Leave) arguments right and admitting you were wrong.

8 minutes ago, msi said:

Already taken the piss out of that, do keep up :)

HOLA446
17 hours ago, winkie said:

Nobody in Europe should be suffering from Brexit.......how many countries in the EU now would vote to go alone like we have done? 

Russia would love it if they did......;)

I think you might be a bit early in assuming no-one will follow the UK out of the EU.  There are some massive challenges facing the EU and if the UK are eventually perceived to have escaped cost neutral then that will embolden others to think similar (accepting that the jury is still out on that).  Considering the EU are joined in issues of another five years of VdM, immigration concerns and the imposition of quotas, that the powerhouse of the union is faltering, that there seems no solution to Target2 which doesn't mean the Bundesbank going bust, that it has so many basket case economies, imposition of immigration and environmental policies which greatly affect individual nations (Netherlands farming) and those awkward states who refuse to obey EU dictats, then outside might seem like a safer place for the prudent ten or so nations.  Admittedly this is a year old but this wasn't a resounding endorsement of the EU by its member constituents:

https://europa.eu/eurobarometer/surveys/detail/3052

45% of EU citizens have a positive image of the EU, 18% a negative image and 37% a neutral image. In all Member States, positive perceptions outweigh negative ones.

HOLA447
19 minutes ago, newgi said:

I think you might be a bit early in assuming no-one will follow the UK out of the EU.  There are some massive challenges facing the EU and if the UK are eventually perceived to have escaped cost neutral then that will embolden others to think similar (accepting that the jury is still out on that).  Considering the EU are joined in issues of another five years of VdM, immigration concerns and the imposition of quotas, that the powerhouse of the union is faltering, that there seems no solution to Target2 which doesn't mean the Bundesbank going bust, that it has so many basket case economies, imposition of immigration and environmental policies which greatly affect individual nations (Netherlands farming) and those awkward states who refuse to obey EU dictats, then outside might seem like a safer place for the prudent ten or so nations.  Admittedly this is a year old but this wasn't a resounding endorsement of the EU by its member constituents:

https://europa.eu/eurobarometer/surveys/detail/3052

45% of EU citizens have a positive image of the EU, 18% a negative image and 37% a neutral image. In all Member States, positive perceptions outweigh negative ones.

Actually not that different to us pre 2016.....except the 37% didn't vote not enough unbiased information to make an informed choice, many of the 45% didn't bother to vote......some of the 18% have changed their minds since.;)