House Price Crash Forum

UK Phones to Receive Emergency Alert Test - Motive?

FANG

HOLA441
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

A siren-like emergency alert message will be sent to mobile phone users across the country next month - but don’t worry it is just a test.

That sounds like the sort of thing somebody who knows something worrying would say. 

EDIT: probably to alert house sellers when prices start to plunge. 

Edited by Orb

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1 minute ago, Trampa501 said:

You just know this will start with exceptional cases, like severe flooding or the such like, but will end up with alerts being sent out when there's a tail back on the ring road, or the local Tesco is out of courgettes. Almost there already.

Are you suggesting Friday afternoon tailbacks on the M6 isn't breaking news?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The modern equivalent of the 'duck and cover' booklet they used to give you in school, with a picture of children getting under their desks, bottoms stuck in the air, hand over ears, with a drawing of a mushroom cloud rising on the horizon out of the school room window?

HOLA4412

No reason to think there's anything big happening, because this sort of paranoid drivel is par for the course. We're encouraged to live in such fear - with good intentions, I believe - that in this messed up, risk-intolerant world we're stuck with it probably honestly seems like a good idea in general to various people.

Can't say I'd be comfortable with the idea of having a phone where it's even possible to over-ride it like this though.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Will! said:

I can no longer tell who is trolling the paranoiacs and who actually is one.

Lol

1 hour ago, Trampa501 said:

You just know this will start with exceptional cases, like severe flooding or the such like, but will end up with alerts being sent out when there's a tail back on the ring road, or the local Tesco is out of courgettes. Almost there already.

You can just opt out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

"People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off. "

1 hour ago, crash-and-burn said:

My mobile phone stays off the majority of the time, I'm not a fan. If they sent me an alert I'd probably get it a week later. :) What's the point of warning people? We'd all be dead or slowing dying anyway.

Quite unusual though in 2023, to be fair...

44 minutes ago, Orb said:

In all seriousness, TPTB might be anticipating the mother of all economic collapses. The timing of this does seem a little suspect. 

What timing in the middle of a war with Russia wouldn't seem suspect to you?

Also the test is on 23 April - so they clearly don't think anything is going to happen for over a month....

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Can't say I'd be comfortable with the idea of having a phone where it's even possible to over-ride it like this though.

You can opt out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

"People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off. "

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

What would you realistically do with 4 minutes of life remaining? Personally, I'd rather not know, and just (hopefully) get obliterated in the blast. 

@scottbeard how do you know we're in the middle of a war with Russia? We might be dangerously close to "the end", if you know what I mean. 

HOLA4417
3 minutes ago, Orb said:

What would you realistically do with 4 minutes of life remaining? Personally, I'd rather not know, and just (hopefully) get obliterated in the blast. 

@scottbeard how do you know we're in the middle of a war with Russia? We might be dangerously close to "the end", if you know what I mean. 

http://www.atomica.co.uk/main.htm

HOLA4418

It’s for electricity shortage shutdowns. We got briefed on it last week in the civil service. We’ve had to agree the approach with emergency planning, police and gov departments. 

So, NHS obviously a big one. We’ve had to give feedback last week on what parts of the economy have emergency back up power supplies. A lot of hosps haven’t had their UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply) systems renewed. A couple of ports don’t have UPS. And most of the highway networks don’t have UPS installed yet such as tunnels, traffic lights, railway crossings, gantry etc. if the tunnels shut we have to go to emergency plans as no fans to shift fumes and no fire suppression.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The plan is when it happens it should be very targeted, isolated, into local areas or zones. The messaging service will say, use XYZ hospital in an emergency, or don’t travel as tunnel at XYZ location closed due to power outage. It’ll be a push message forced to every registered number, with radio messages and TV bulletins as far as I know.

Nearly had a shutdown end of Feb, but averted at last minute. At that time they weren’t prepped for it. The risk is the more prepped they are the more likely they’ll allow the shutdown to occur. 

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, MerchantNavy said:

Interesting. May be slightly more optimistic of survival back in the day or hoping for as many survivors as possible for ground war?

You would hope in the unlikely event of full scale nuclear war, there is a direct hit on you 

I'd like to hope I could survive long enough to give my children an ongoing chance tbh.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
15 minutes ago, MinistryMan said:

The plan is when it happens it should be very targeted, isolated, into local areas or zones. The messaging service will say, use XYZ hospital in an emergency, or don’t travel as tunnel at XYZ location closed due to power outage. It’ll be a push message forced to every registered number, with radio messages and TV bulletins as far as I know.

Nearly had a shutdown end of Feb, but averted at last minute. At that time they weren’t prepped for it. The risk is the more prepped they are the more likely they’ll allow the shutdown to occur. 

Interesting! Thanks for that.