House Price Crash Forum

Anyone seriously thinking of emigrating?

winkie

HOLA441
13 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

I think the big customers, china, malaysia, increasingly india etc think of good universities as belonging to the "anglo-saxon" model, so Australia UK , Canada, US. Also they look closely at rankings which are somewhat biased towards that model. I was waiting for someone to say "english language" but the visitor i mentioned was from Eire! He told me, quite cynically, that they had hoped for a brexit bonus and that EU students wanting to study english would go there instead. It has not materialised. I have a spanish guy in my tutorial, I presume he has paid full fees? Anyway he wants to go the US and has applied there for post graduate study which his parents will pay through the nose for. So, anecdotally, we are still getting rich kids at the best UK universities from all over...

one of the most important reasons is also networking, who are you going to network in EIRE with a Leprechaun, they also have a lot of issues with physical violence

My co worker told me his daughter is stupid, he said she went to Swansea University that is her level

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
19 minutes ago, notnow said:

Having lived as an ex pat retiree , I can say Its really hard. Those ex pats I met who were extatically happy had no clue of the issues and lived in blissfull ignorance until it went wrong for them.

Now of course we have no right to live where we want in europe, after brexit. (Sigh.)

So go live where you can, take that risk, but keep your wits about you. You will not understand the laws, the traditions, and you will be an immigrant.  If you dont have the local language you will be lonely.

Best advice is to rent, so you can walk away. Keep any uk property you have.

this all over. People buy a place in Spain without renting first, paying 10%+ stamp duty, regret it, sell and pay even more taxes. All the property shows only focus on the positives. 

edit: disagree on the last sentence. It's not tax advantageous at all to be a cross border landlord

Edited by PropertyMania

HOLA443
1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

The UK feels like a bit of a shit place at the moment if you pay attention to our politics and news. It also feels shit if you rely on the NHS, state dentists, schools, rail, police, etc. Everything just seems to be worse than it was about 20 years ago.

I'm married to a French woman. We could go to live in France and have a family network, and that was 100% our goal for the last 10 years. That was until recently when we moved area in the UK. We now love where we live. If I ignored everything else I'd have no issue staying here permanently. My wife loves it too and doesn't want to move back to France at this point. Living in France has plenty of up-sides, but also down sides. Everything is so bureaucratic it is painful. I felt isolated when we lived there for a while. I really missed the English sense of humour (the French have their own, but not being a native speaker or barely speaking at all, it doesn't translate well). I missed pubs.

I've also live in several other countries for months to a couple of years (when younger). The experience was great, but there is something that I just missed about the UK each time.

If I could make it work, I'd move to Portugal, near Lisbon. That is one of my favourite places. Unfortunately, housing in the good areas is now nearly even worse than London.

Yes, this really does relate to what I was saying about moving from a specific environ to another, rather than nation to nation being the important bit.

1 hour ago, notnow said:

Having lived as an ex pat retiree , I can say Its really hard. Those ex pats I met who were extatically happy had no clue of the issues and lived in blissfull ignorance until it went wrong for them.

Now of course we have no right to live where we want in europe, after brexit. (Sigh.)

So go live where you can, take that risk, but keep your wits about you. You will not understand the laws, the traditions, and you will be an immigrant.  If you dont have the local language you will be lonely.

Best advice is to rent, so you can walk away. Keep any uk property you have.

Yes, those retiring to Spain are the ones most likely to think that beig abroad should not affect them in anyway and get a shock.

Those more open to a foreign culture (France or Scandinavia) are more likely to settle in well.

HOLA444

I thought about it. I have an European passport too. Nowhere any good in Europe. Maybe Poland or Hungary. 

The US, just bits of Florida or Texas or mid west. 

I lived in Singapore and Dubai. The lockdowns and rules changed my mind. Switzerland, possibly.

But I married a Geordie so back here I am. 

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

I think the big customers, china, malaysia, increasingly india etc think of good universities as belonging to the "anglo-saxon" model, so Australia UK , Canada, US. Also they look closely at rankings which are somewhat biased towards that model. I was waiting for someone to say "english language" but the visitor i mentioned was from Eire! He told me, quite cynically, that they had hoped for a brexit bonus and that EU students wanting to study english would go there instead. It has not materialised. I have a spanish guy in my tutorial, I presume he has paid full fees? Anyway he wants to go the US and has applied there for post graduate study which his parents will pay through the nose for. So, anecdotally, we are still getting rich kids at the best UK universities from all over...

I came to London as an international student.  As an 18 year old, I only considered Oxbridge, Ivy League and the London universities and my dad told me he wouldn't pay for me to study anything else.If I had not gotten in, I would just have studied locally. 

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

I came to London as an international student.  As an 18 year old, I only considered Oxbridge, Ivy League and the London universities and my dad told me he wouldn't pay for me to study anything else.If I had not gotten in, I would just have studied locally. 

Which Uni did you go to?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
11 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

lol thought my post was self explanatory. there are only three options... Not Imperial as i didn't do a science/engineering degree. 

So a London University, was respect and the opinion of others a part of the decision making process?

HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, shlomo said:

So a London University, was respect and the opinion of others a part of the decision making process?

well my parents' opinion counted the most given that they were paying for it. My country has a list of universities that it recognized to qualify as a lawyer. I wasn't sure whether i definitely wanted to be a lawyer at 18 but decided to do a law degree as it doesn't tend to be something you can do at graduate level. And in my home country, you need a law degree to be a lawyer.  So it definitely had to come from that list and generally I went for a university with a good reputation in my home country (so that I could get  a job when i came back). My mum works for a global bank and they had an internal list of what universities they preferred for their graduate program. So of course my parents said that they would only pay if my university was on that list (and it was). London has 5 of those universities (including Imperial). As a rule though in my home country,people look down on anything below top Russell Group and Oxbridge; they would think  that you only went there because you couldn't get into a local university and  would therefore not be very bright. Which is generally true but not always. So if you want to study overseas, the only way to fight that perception other than getting straight As/IB score of above 40, is to get into a really good university. If you went to UCL/LSE, its rare that employers would have that perception>

https://www.sile.edu.sg/united-kingdom-approved-universities

Edited by desiringonlychild

HOLA4412
21 hours ago, MattW said:

My favourite album of all time. :) And my favourite track from it is 'The Cinema Show'. 

Back on topic. Emigrating. I wouldn't want to move anywhere that's too hot in the summer but mild in the winter. I'm thinking no such place exists. 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/29/want-to-ski-and-sunbathe-visit-spains-sierra-nevada-for-winter-sun-15680071/

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, warpig said:

The problems we have in this country are global... I've had this discussion with my neighbour and having already lived in a few countries, I think the UK is the safest place to be when SHTF.

Yeah, the challenges that the UK faces are either only somewhat better if not worse in virtually every other advanced nation.

And super racist countries like Japan and SK will pay dearly for their very weak demographics impacting their manufacturing heavy economies:

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, warpig said:

The problems we have in this country are global... I've had this discussion with my neighbour and having already lived in a few countries, I think the UK is the safest place to be when SHTF.

Not necessarily. I'll explain why.

People in many countries are generally used to hardship, and a lot of problems there can be truly fixed with money. People in the UK did not know true hardship in many decades. The current situation is relatively mild compared to how bad it can get.

So.. when shit truly hits the fan, eastern EU and Asia will "fall from the 2nd floor", while UK might "fall from the 10th floor" People here might experience such a huge drop in living standards, it will make them nuts. And the country has no sufficient police and no backbone to keep the situation under control. Army is very small as well.

If mass civil unrest erupts, there will be nothing to stop it here.

HOLA4415
On 13/12/2022 at 19:20, athom said:

Anywhere closer to the equator that will give a suitable long term visa or residency. If I had no kids I'd keep moving like a long term backpacker spending 3 months in each place. I was living in India for £100 a month some years ago which included staying in hotels each night and every meal in a restaurant. Was quite a long time ago now but I bet its still crazy cheap. We can't comprehend how cheap the exchange rates makes places. Get up in the Himalayan foothills somewhere and its not like the dusty packed India at all. Get bored of one spot, move on. 

Costa Rica supposed to be decent, although I imagine not as cheap given a fair few US citizens retire there apparently.

HOLA4416
6 hours ago, LittleK0i said:

Not necessarily. I'll explain why.

People in many countries are generally used to hardship, and a lot of problems there can be truly fixed with money. People in the UK did not know true hardship in many decades. The current situation is relatively mild compared to how bad it can get.

So.. when shit truly hits the fan, eastern EU and Asia will "fall from the 2nd floor", while UK might "fall from the 10th floor" People here might experience such a huge drop in living standards, it will make them nuts. And the country has no sufficient police and no backbone to keep the situation under control. Army is very small as well.

If mass civil unrest erupts, there will be nothing to stop it here.

There will be nothing to stop it anywhere, although I do take your point about falling from grace. I certainly wouldn't want to live in a city anywhere in the world when things really start to fall apart.

HOLA4417

Australia still has a lot going for it. 

It very expensive in the capital cities, as we all know. 

Some good points-

Federal budget tends to surprise on the upside

self sufficient food and energy

Big brother USA very chummy

Nice weather etc. 

School and universities are good

Healty system pisses all over the NHS. 

HOLA4418
On 13/12/2022 at 23:15, MattW said:

My favourite album of all time. :) And my favourite track from it is 'The Cinema Show'. 

Back on topic. Emigrating. I wouldn't want to move anywhere that's too hot in the summer but mild in the winter. I'm thinking no such place exists. 

The west coast of Morocco has the trade winds, which keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter than further inland. Essaouira is a nice spot to get your feet wet (metaphorically and literally).

HOLA4419
On 13/12/2022 at 20:53, Save me from the madness! said:

Gulf states I have a problem with the religious laws.

You mean all of them (sharia)? 😆

I don't mind the laws, so much, as you're free to flout most of the idiotic ones in private. 

It's the dust, the monoculture, the heat, the prevalence of bad and unhealthy food, and all urban areas are humourless and designed solely for cars. 

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4420
On 13/12/2022 at 21:40, reddog said:

I would say North America (Canada, US).

Maybe remote parts of Sweden, Norway

Switzerland (though it is surrounded by the neighbors from hell)

Remote parts of Sweden are pretty tough places to live.
I did 7 winters before escaping ! 

HOLA4421
On 15/12/2022 at 05:30, Up the spout said:

The west coast of Morocco has the trade winds, which keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter than further inland. Essaouira is a nice spot to get your feet wet (metaphorically and literally).

I'd think carefully about Morocco 

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/06/220750/morocco-terrorist-cell-planning-attacks-essaouira-isis

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Barcelona would be my favourite option. Italy is also good (I have ties with the country) but with the exception of Milan is simply impossible to make a living over there without a strong network. Most of the Brits who ended up there either came back or are stuck in a teaching job. 
But, oh god, if you wanna make money London is still the only place in Europe where you can get a fair shot. My plan is to save a couple of h thousands and then move somewhere cheaper anyway. 

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Italy is also good (I have ties with the country) but with the exception of Milan is simply impossible to make a living over there without a strong network.

The UK university system is full of Italian academics. I have lost count of the number of Italian academics i have talked to here who tell me that the whole italian university system is dominated by chronyism and nepotism. Their attitudes to the uk vary (after brexit) but the one i have spoken to told me that going back to italy is not an option, rather elsewhere in the anglosphere

Me - Canada, was contacted by someone over there recently. I would go but my wife has grand child here now so vetoed it.

HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

The UK university system is full of Italian academics. I have lost count of the number of Italian academics i have talked to here who tell me that the whole italian university system is dominated by chronyism and nepotism. Their attitudes to the uk vary (after brexit) but the one i have spoken to told me that going back to italy is not an option, rather elsewhere in the anglosphere

Me - Canada, was contacted by someone over there recently. I would go but my wife has grand child here now so vetoed it.

Italian in my office has told me the same thing, no chance of getting an office job unless via nepotism. 

He has very little good to say about Italy in general.