House Price Crash Forum

Will Russia invade Ukraine and what happens if it escalates with NATO/US getting involved

coypondboy

HOLA441
27 minutes ago, FallingAwake said:

The big question is, WHY do they have no alternative?

If the Germans have tied themselves to dependency on Russian gas, and Germany is at the heart of the EU, this is another great reason not to be part of that monolith.

Not that we're doing much better, but we're not dependent on Russia. (I'll accept that's probably more down to geography than any great strategic thinking on the part of our leaders.)

Are we not more dependent on Russia?

I'm fairly sure the EU has trade deals for Norwegian oil and gas that trump ours.

UK also binned off all gas storage a while back (so totally at the mercy of market prices at the moment).

• Replies 41.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staffsknot

• Si1

• rollover

• pig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Care to be a bit more specific, because posts like that are just plain worrying.

Most likely Putin telling Macron he means to take the Ukraine completely by force if necessary.

And let's face it. Their people will not have that.

Vladolf Putler needs taking out pronto now tbh.

Edited by byron78

HOLA444
1 minute ago, byron78 said:

Most likely Putin telling Macron he means to take the Ukraine completely by force if necessary.

Yes making big threats.....what should we collectively do in solidarity?;)

HOLA445
3 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I'm fairly sure the EU has trade deals for Norwegian oil and gas that trump ours.

UK also binned off all gas storage a while back (so totally at the mercy of market prices at the moment).

Most comes form Norway a little bit maybe 5% from Russia via EU

We have an LNG terminal and contracts with Qatar.

We are by no means shielded just not as dependent as say Germany for example who I believe has no LNG facilities

HOLA446
5 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Thought that's what he had been doing.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
3 minutes ago, always about entropy said:

We could have a demonstration with some badly written placards.  I'm sure Putin would listen as much as Blair did.

No longer allowed to protest here anymore, anti protest bill......so that won't work.;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
17 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Britain is set to buy £2BILLION of gas from Putin

Two ships carrying liquid natural gas from Russia is due to land in Kent this weekend, according to Unison.

Britain is still on course to bolster the Kremlin's coffers with £2billion-a-year for imported Russian liquefied natural gas as Brent crude oil today topped $119 per barrel, is now up almost 20% on the week and is expected to rise even higher.

UK imports of Russian gas have doubled since 2018 and despite a ban on Russian-owned ships docking in British ports two carrying it are due to arrive at the Isle of Grain in Kent this weekend, according to Unison.

Daily Mail

HOLA4413
1 minute ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

The price of 1 oil barrel went from £68 prior the invasion to £83 today. 
I would like to share your optimism folks. 

Energy dense fossil fuels are a finite resource that can bring immense benefit to mankind and at the same time immense destruction to our environment.

The only way to conserve it and not just p**s it away on jollies to Tenerife for the weekend is if people can no longer afford to waste it.

Price is the best way to change behaviour.

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, always about entropy said:

We could have a demonstration with some badly written placards.  I'm sure Putin would listen as much as Blair did.

I think Putin has enough on his plate already.

Maybe we could offer him a top psychiatrist ? Also a French polisher  with a belt sander - to slowly and gently sand down the length of his tables until he's back to normality ?

But we could start in our own backyard with the London laundromat, and completion of the Russia report.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 minutes ago, rollover said:

Britain is set to buy £2BILLION of gas from Putin

Two ships carrying liquid natural gas from Russia is due to land in Kent this weekend, according to Unison.

Britain is still on course to bolster the Kremlin's coffers with £2billion-a-year for imported Russian liquefied natural gas as Brent crude oil today topped $119 per barrel, is now up almost 20% on the week and is expected to rise even higher.

UK imports of Russian gas have doubled since 2018 and despite a ban on Russian-owned ships docking in British ports two carrying it are due to arrive at the Isle of Grain in Kent this weekend, according to Unison.

Daily Mail

£2billion a year  the EU spend that much in a week on Russian oil and gas

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, always about entropy said:

Energy dense fossil fuels are a finite resource that can bring immense benefit to mankind and at the same time immense destruction to our environment.

The only way to conserve it and not just p**s it away on jollies to Tenerife for the weekend is if people can no longer afford to waste it.

Price is the best way to change behaviour.

There’s enough oil and gas to sustain our civilisation. The oil price before Covid and this invasion wasn’t at $300. That means supply was adequate. 
Proce is only rising because we have CO2 taxes lockdowns and wars. 
Let the ******ing market do the job. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 minute ago, always about entropy said:

Hopefully just a maintenance issue if its more than that then its all about to kick off. 

What makes you say that? It being cut off sooner or later will have been an expected Russian tit-for-tat sanctions response.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Tory party chairman’s company deletes webpage about Russia ‘elite’ connections

The luxury business run by the chairman of the Conservative party has deleted a webpage spelling out its Russian "elite" connections.

"Quintessentially Russia has nearly 15 years' experience providing luxury lifestyle management services to Russia's elite and corporate members," the website explained, spelling out the services available.

The Conservative party has raised over £70m since Mr Elliot took over as chair, in part by targeting the world's ultra wealthy for contributions.

Independent

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Hectors House said:

The Youtube algorithm has struck again, a lot of people are seeing suggestions for the 80's BBC film "Threads", if you have never seen it be warned it is grim! I can remember back in the 80s' that secodndary schools thought it woas a good idea to show to the kids! Traumatised a generation!

Pretty sure that Trauma held us back from the brink.  One of the kids in my school did p*ss themselves watching it, but it was so scary no one else criticised them for it