House Price Crash Forum

Will Russia invade Ukraine and what happens if it escalates with NATO/US getting involved

coypondboy

HOLA441
32 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Recovery teams exist and that it wasn't DF'd by the Russians mean that was the plan.

Plan? You make it sound like the Russians are in control of the situation. There are quite a lot of abandoned vehicles being recovered by Ukrainians.

A full functioning tank (T72, $4m on Ebay).

A BMP with a couple of Chechens who's plan probably didn't included being dead in the back of it.

Russian s have occasionally mined these abandoned vehicles.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staffsknot

• Si1

• rollover

• pig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
28 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Plan? You make it sound like the Russians are in control of the situation. There are quite a lot of abandoned vehicles being recovered by Ukrainians.

A full functioning tank (T72, $4m on Ebay).

A BMP with a couple of Chechens who's plan probably didn't included being dead in the back of it.

Russian s have occasionally mined these abandoned vehicles.

You realise Peter that the Ukranian army has the exact same kit and that the production of videos and Ebay without independent verification should actually be treated with skepticism.

Planned recovery of damaged or disabled vehicles is part of any operation. Things break in war - its why we have ARRVs to recover things even under fire.

In Afghanistan a Bulldog breakdown had to be either repaired in situ, recovered or DF'd. That is how things work.

In a high tempo operation you can't delay sitting about waiting on one piece of kit. So you ditch it and move on, marked for follow on groups or trash it.

You seem to not understand these simple facts and think this doesn't happen. Its part and parcel of an operation.

Vehicles also get destroyed or damaged in combat you know.

Now if the recovery was not going to happen why did the Ukranians frag the cab and burn the vehicle when they couldn't recover it?

Doesn't take the brains of an archbishop

Edited by Staffsknot

HOLA443
3 hours ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

I hope you can all understand these observations and learn from them.
I'd definately vote for this:

We have no values is correct.

The EU economies will buy over $300M worth of oil and gas today from Russia.

We can call Putin what we like and be horrified at the images we see but it is meaningless outrage if we keep doing business with him.

We tear down statues of historic slave traders and yet collectively enjoy the cheap products on our shelves made by slaves. If you think slavery is abhorrent which it is, then those making a profit from it today should be the target of our outrage but I see there is little appetite amongst the noisy and outraged.

We don't really give a dam, but it makes us feel better of we pretend we do.

HOLA444
HOLA445
2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

She's a very accomplished young woman. A published author whose won numerous awards internationally while still in her teens. No-one has done more to raise the profile of climate change as a political issue.

If we put her in charge she would take us back to the 19th Century in about six months. Her timelines and demands would have enormous implications on living standards and global poverty and reverse many of the spectacular advances we made using highly dense fossil fuel energy..

She is an alarmist, but to give her credit she has galvanised an awful lot of support amongst western liberals, but I'm not sure in the long run she will cut through when they realise the true implications of her demands.

I find her both impressive and a bit scary.

HOLA446
17 minutes ago, always about entropy said:

If we put her in charge she would take us back to the 19th Century in about six months. Her timelines and demands would have enormous implications on living standards and global poverty and reverse many of the spectacular advances we made using highly dense fossil fuel energy..

She is an alarmist, but to give her credit she has galvanised an awful lot of support amongst western liberals, but I'm not sure in the long run she will cut through when they realise the true implications of her demands.

I find her both impressive and a bit scary.

She isn't an alarmist. Her timelines and demands for climate justice and equality are essentially the same as those made by the IPCC.

Your assertion re. the 19th Century is fantastic nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/28/ipcc-issues-bleakest-warning-yet-impacts-climate-breakdown

HOLA447
1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

She isn't an alarmist. Her timelines and demands for climate justice and equality are essentially the same as those made by the IPCC.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/28/ipcc-issues-bleakest-warning-yet-impacts-climate-breakdown

Why don't you actually read what people actually say?!  Instead you always go off at half c*ck.

He said IF she was put in charge......

Edited by anonguest

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The IPPC is also alarmist

HOLA449

At this point I guess in our field we have two different point of views: 

The sensible one which is the idea we can continue to help the Ukrainians fighting the Russians until they can in order to sit down around a table with something we can use to negotiate and maybe have a West Ukraine along with an Eastern one. Maybe this is what the PM is thinking 

The crazy one, probably from the Foreign Secretary and some EE countries happy to see this conflict to escalate further with NATO troops or at least Europeans on the fields directly fighting the Russians. Total madness. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
14 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

The crazy one, probably from the Foreign Secretary and some EE countries happy to see this conflict to escalate further with NATO troops or at least Europeans on the fields directly fighting the Russians. Total madness. 

Boris Brexit revenge? Escalate the conflict narrative force Europe to stop buying Russian hydrocarbons watch EU economy implode.

Blame Vlad and EU energy strategy for global fallout.

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, always about entropy said:

Boris Brexit revenge? Escalate the conflict narrative force Europe to stop buying Russian hydrocarbons watch EU economy implode.

A good strategy you have to admit 

HOLA4420
14 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

At this point I guess in our field we have two different point of views: 

The sensible one which is the idea we can continue to help the Ukrainians fighting the Russians until they can in order to sit down around a table with something we can use to negotiate and maybe have a West Ukraine along with an Eastern one. Maybe this is what the PM is thinking 

Putin will never be allowed to walk this back.

No Western politician is to going to propose his assassination, of course. Privately, that's exactly what we intend to do.

HOLA4421
7 minutes ago, always about entropy said:

Blame Vlad and EU energy strategy for global fallout.

I am not sure they will to be honest. 
The Europeans are still buying Russian gas right now (no choice for them I guess) and the narrative can change very quickly once they start seeing the price of fuel at the pump and the figure on their bills. I read the bank through which payments for gas are processed isn’t included in the sanction list. 
Like it or not Putin ain’t no Hitler and he’s not dropping bombs all over the place trying to conquer the world.

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
10 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

I am not sure they will to be honest. 
The Europeans are still buying Russian gas right now (no choice for them I guess) and the narrative can change very quickly once they start seeing the price of fuel at the pump and the figure on their bills. I read the bank through which payments for gas are processed isn’t included in the sanction list. 
Like it or not Putin ain’t no Hitler and he’s not dropping bombs all over the place trying to conquer the world.

I agree they don't want to for very sound economic reasons.

But I think boris would like them too, because its actually the right thing to do.

Ding business with a war criminal to save your own skins, not a good look.

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Do you guys think that if the fuel price goes above £2 and bills skyrocket people will still interested in the resistance in Ukraine, NATO and Putin the mad guy? 

This is a genuine question, I’m not trying to join any team here. 

No EU countries will ditch Ukraine to save their economies and the banksters.