House Price Crash Forum

Covid - is there trouble ahead? New mutation and travel bans.

HOLA441
9 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

There is a whole thread on the digital spy forum dedicated to multiple posters who claim to hate GB News but seem to watch it constantly so they can post about how terrible it is. Its quite bizarre?! Why watch something which upsets you so - they probably also think the unvaxxed should be under house arrest, put in camps and have their kids taken away!

PS Do you agree with the statement made on GBN?

I'm not sure what I think about GB News but I do sometimes watch it. They seem to have a variety of presenters with different views. Some I like, others I don't.

The presenter that made the above statement, which l would like to be true, was Mark Dolan. This is something I found from a week ago...

Mark Dolan: The cosy Covid consensus is crumbling (gbnews.uk)

Edited by Bruce Banner

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

I'm not sure what I think about GB News but I do sometimes watch it. They seem to have a variety of presenters with different views. 

The presenter that made the above statement, which would like to be true, was Mark Dolan. This is something I found from a week ago...

Mark Dolan: The cosy Covid consensus is crumbling (gbnews.uk)

Dolan is a bit provocative  but his 'its only a mask' piece from a while back was very powerful

HOLA443
12 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Dolan is a bit provocative  but his 'its only a mask' piece from a while back was very powerful

He was spot on about the Djokovic debacle...

Mark Dolan: Novak Djokovic has won the argument, game set and match (gbnews.uk)

So Novak’s bought a lot of opprobrium on himself and he didn't have to do this. He will lose prize money and sponsorship and won't be able to achieve a record-breaking run of wins at the Australian Open.

It will ultimately have implications for his career tally, when he retires. Which is why his actions have been so admirable.

He has willingly relinquished trophies as a matter of principle.

For him it's been a Henman Hill to die on and I think the behavouru of the authorities down under has been a grand sham.

HOLA444
HOLA445
44 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

As an aside there is a whole thread on the digital spy forum dedicated to multiple posters who claim to hate GB News but seem to watch it constantly so they can post about how terrible it is. Its quite bizarre?! Why watch something which upsets you so - they probably also the same sort of people who think the unvaxxed should be under house arrest, put in camps and have their kids taken away!

Do you agree with the statement made on GBN?

I think the odd thing about partygate is whether people might soon start to wake up and see how they were conned. Prevented from seeing love ones dying in hospital and care homes for no decent humane reason, not going round to see elderly relatives for months and let alone meeting friends outside or having their own parties. Or indeed recognising the reality that the average age of death from Covid was 82 and it that it a 99.9% survival rate for under 60s - when the media implied your average fit and healthy non obese 25 year old was at serious risk.

Yes I do and there will be a number of posters on this thread that need an equally long ladder.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Its quite interesting seeing the different views of voters by party in the US - and frankly how scarily fascist the views of many supposed liberals/Democrats are compared to the supposedly 'far right/fascist Republicans'.  Not sure if there is a similar split by party here - albeit hopefully Brits don't display the same frankly fascistic views on how we treat the unvaxxed as most Democrats in the US?

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/partner_surveys/jan_2022/covid_19_democratic_voters_support_harsh_measures_against_unvaccinated

On the above poll

59 per cent of Democrats believe the unvaccinated should be confined to their homes at all times except in emergencies - but this is opposed by 79% of Republicans

55% of Democrats think the unvaccinated should be subject to fines or even imprisonment compared to only 19 per cent of Republicans

45% of Democrats think the unvaccinated should be placed in detention centres/camps - 78% of Republicans would strongly oppose this

29% of Democrats support removing unvaccinated parents from having custody of their children - i.e. their kids would be taken into care compared to only 7% of Republican voters

47% of Democrats think the unvaccinated should be constantly tracked using government tracking IDs so their whereabouts are known 24 hours a day 

and - why?

most Democrats also believe that 50% of the unvaccinated end up in ICU if they get Covid - when its actually well below 1%!  Republicans position is much closer to the actual reality.

I am always reminded of that quote which Churchill never said that in the future the fascists would be the people who call themselves supposed liberals and anti fascists!

I think it can safely be said that never, even with the very latest woke fads and ways of thinking, have the so called Loony Left here in the UK ever got as nutty as the U.S Democratic party seems to have become in recent times?

There seems to be a sizeable percentage of Democratic voters that have, quite frankly, just simply lost their marbles.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA447
HOLA448
11 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Good for him, he stood up for what he believes in, the freedom to refuse Covid vaccination if he doesn't want it.

😁 Would that be

Lying to get his entry visa.

Carrying on meeting people while positive, something that could have landed ordinary mortals in jail

Breaking the Covid rules of just about every country he visits. 

He was and still is free to refuse the vaccine but not to ignore other countries rules. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

😁 Would that be

Lying to get his entry visa.

Carrying on meeting people while positive, something that could have landed ordinary mortals in jail

Breaking the Covid rules of just about every country he visits. 

He was and still is free to refuse the vaccine but not to ignore other countries rules. 

No, according to pretty much everything I've read his visa was revoked not because he was considered a health risk, he met their Covid requirements, but because he was considered to be a bad example to the downtrodden inhabitants of a police state, where wearing a helmet is mandatory if you want to ride a pushbike.

Here's an example from a MSM news channel..

Mark Dolan: Novak Djokovic has won the argument, game set and match (gbnews.uk)

As we discovered last night, large parts of Australia have effectively become a police state and Down Under and across the world, those who have chosen not to be jabbed are treated at best as second class citizens and at worst as inferior human beings worthy of scorn and indeed punishment.

That pint sized dictator, French president Emmanuel Macron actually said unvaccinated French people aren't really citizens at all.

If left unchecked, history will tell you that dividing up members of society and treating them differently for any reason at all, can go to a very dark place indeed.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4411
17 minutes ago, Timm said:

Putting sports and celebs to one side for a moment:

It's over.

Sadly, not where leaders have made it a major political issue. France, for example where Macron is up for re-election in May, and here where BJ is using his jabs record as a tool to cling to power. They need to keep jabbing regardless.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4412
8 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

I accept polls can be wrong - but even Rasmussen cannot be that wrong!

I am taking it with a big pinch of salt because it is Rasmussen. If there is a second one and it does not seem to have leading questions, then I will take it seriously.

A small shift it wording on how many people in ICU are unvaccinated, i.e. over 50% can have a clarifying question, "So, the figure to unvaccinated people in ICU is...", which is of course a very different matter.

That said, if the same results come up again, it would be interesting.

HOLA4413
5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

That pint sized dictator, French president Emmanuel Macron actually said unvaccinated French people aren't really citizens at all.

If left unchecked, history will tell you that dividing up members of society and treating them differently for any reason at all, can go to a very dark place indeed.

I am unclear whether you are in favour or against such a policy?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
7 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Sadly, not where leaders have made it a major political issue. France, for example where Macron is up for re-election in May, and here where BJ is using his jabs record as a tool to cling to power. They need to keep jabbing regardless.

Only for as long as it's a practical solution to a problem. Which was the case last year, but we've moved on past that. The momentum can carry on a bit (particularly with the large number of simple-minded people who latch on to an idea and then obsess about it in simple black and white terms) but things look like getting to the point where large numbers of jabs won't be a winner. That momentum will possibly carry on for Macron because May's not far off but Johnson needs something else.

HOLA4416
8 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Anyone is free to ignore any rules IF they wish - IF they choose to/decide the risk to their liberty/wallet/etc is worth the reward/return of breaking the rules.

I for one, for example, stopped wearing a mask in ANY public setting from early autumn 2020.  Anyone with three brain cells to rub together could see, by summer of 2020, that this was not the existential threat to society that had, reasonably, been originally assumed in very early 2020.  Once that became clear then it became clear that the real pandemic was in irrational hysteria.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4417
9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What's the point of paying much attention to the rules if they're just going to twist them to throw you out for politically-motivated reasons anyway? AFAICT the rules were vaccination or suitable medical reason, and a recent infection counts for the latter. The political motivation is all too clear because there's no reason to believe having been infected is less effective than vaccination, so nothing adds up on public health grounds for twisting their rules.

Australia's come out of this looking very childish, whatever you think of Djokovich.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
34 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Agree 100%.  In fact I'd say looking and behaving like a petulant child.

That's pretty much normal behaviour for their government.

However, thinking you are above the rules is not a good look, as an Australian colleague said yesterday he is an arrogant to55er and we have enough of those already.  

HOLA4421
4 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

That's pretty much normal behaviour for their government.

However, thinking you are above the rules is not a good look, as an Australian colleague said yesterday he is an arrogant to55er and we have enough of those already.  

Sounds a bit rich coming from a country whose government leads the way in behaving like arrogant tossers.

That aside, as others have asked....

What rule(s) did he break?

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, anonguest said:

Anyone is free to ignore any rules IF they wish - IF they choose to/decide the risk to their liberty/wallet/etc is worth the reward/return of breaking the rules.

I for one, for example, stopped wearing a mask in ANY public setting from early autumn 2020.  Anyone with three brain cells to rub together could see, by summer of 2020, that this was not the existential threat to society that had, reasonably, been originally assumed in very early 2020.  Once that became clear then it became clear that the real pandemic was in irrational hysteria.

Yes, as myself and @Grayphil said at the time and just before, once it had been downgrade from a high consequence disease the whole effort should have ceased.

I am now pondering whether the Chinese did notify the West of a Lab Leak from Wuhan Institute of Virology and for what ever reason it was agreed that they'd all keep schtum. Once it was worked out it wasn't a deadly bioweapon or some highly lethal natural strain it was too late as the wheels had started on the money making opportunity.

This is the only reason I can believe for all these national Governments going into panic stations.

In 5 years from now, 95% of the people "saved" will be dead anyway due to their egg shell thin skulls (legal analogy) and millions of children will have been harmed and straddled with debt for the rest of their lives.

HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Sounds a bit rich coming from a country whose government leads the way in behaving like arrogant tossers.

That aside, as others have asked....

What rule(s) did he break?

He (or whoever filled his form) lied about visiting other countries in the 14 days before arriving in Australia. Implications aren't that big apart from if you are caught telling a lie, what else might you lie about?

He either went about seeing people while COVID positive or (more likely) faked a positive COVID test retrospectively to get round rules in place re: vaccination status to enter Australia.

I personally think people should get vaccinated, I also think people who decide not to get vaccinated should hang their heads in shame, however I don't think people should be forced to get vaccinated. I also think entry rules should just be proof of a negative test nothing about vaccination. However, if someone is caught lying to break the rules, then there should be serious consequences (Hello Djokovic, hello Boris)

HOLA4424
6 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, as myself and @Grayphil said at the time and just before, once it had been downgrade from a high consequence disease the whole effort should have ceased.

I am now pondering whether the Chinese did notify the West of a Lab Leak from Wuhan Institute of Virology and for what ever reason it was agreed that they'd all keep schtum. Once it was worked out it wasn't a deadly bioweapon or some highly lethal natural strain it was too late as the wheels had started on the money making opportunity.

This is the only reason I can believe for all these national Governments going into panic stations.

In 5 years from now, 95% of the people "saved" will be dead anyway due to their egg shell thin skulls (legal analogy) and millions of children will have been harmed and straddled with debt for the rest of their lives.

In the meantime there are those who ridiculously fuss more over the style of language used in critical posts, such as this one from you here, and openly admit they tend to ignore posts that make use of emotive terms - for example me yesterday referring to children being 'muzzled' instead of 'masked'.

My view is that the sheer magnitude of all the idiocy and outright wickedness of all that has occurred is such that IF you are not shocked by it all then you simply haven't understood it!

HOLA4425
Just now, Drat said:

He (or whoever filled his form) lied about visiting other countries in the 14 days before arriving in Australia. Implications aren't that big apart from if you are caught telling a lie, what else might you lie about?

For the sake of convenience of this exchange here I'll accept your word that this is what actually happened, i.e. it is documented that he HAD visited other countries in the 14 days before etc.

Just now, Drat said:

He either went about seeing people while COVID positive or (more likely) faked a positive COVID test retrospectively to get round rules in place re: vaccination status to enter Australia.

So this bit is pure speculation on your part.  You have no evidence.

Just now, Drat said:

I personally think people should get vaccinated, I also think people who decide not to get vaccinated should hang their heads in shame, however I don't think people should be forced to get vaccinated.

Why?

Just now, Drat said:

I also think entry rules should just be proof of a negative test nothing about vaccination.

Agreed. Pure commonsense.

Just now, Drat said:

Edited by anonguest