House Price Crash Forum

Landlords

a j

HOLA441

Anyone else getting annoyed with squealing landlords? I've engaged with some online - none seem to realise that they run a business with business risks, and that legislative changes and disease outbreaks are the kind of risks one may take into account when investing. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
10 minutes ago, a j said:

Anyone else getting annoyed with squealing landlords? I've engaged with some online - none seem to realise that they run a business with business risks, and that legislative changes and disease outbreaks are the kind of risks one may take into account when investing. 

Naturally they'll be diversified and not just debt junkies...?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Landlords are doing themselves no favours in this crisis, everybody knows that a decent chunk of the workers keeping the country going have a parasite landlord on their back demanding they make the rent no matter what while the landlord sits at home eating food paid for out of their wages. "But I have a mortgage to pay!" Great, so the bank owns the house, and your contribution is what exactly?

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think an immediate period of 3 month where no rent - commercial or residential - is required to be paid is required. Universal - no bureaucracy. If anyone has time while 'working' from home its worth making sure that these who are struggling and deeply scared at the moment are aware of the no evictions rule, and that no courts will be hearing cases for ages.

HOLA447
HOLA448
3 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I’ve been in touch with my tenants to assure them if they need help to let me know. My leverage is tiny, I don’t rely on tax breaks. Any decent landlord should have a contingency fund for emergencies. 

The market needs to be cleaned up and tightened. 

Brilliant. Many thanks.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

You’d hope that the consequences of 40 years of selling off council housing and outsourcing the responsibility of housing the nation to private landlords and enterprises might make the current government think twice about embarking on a new council building program.... but I don’t think they will

I'm not anti private landlords, because there is definitely a market for it (where renters want more luxurious places/houses to live in than basic council housing) but we need more council properties. All IMHO.  

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, Locke said:

Don't pretend that you don't know that this is totally illegal and that she has zero power to get him out in this manner.

Of course it's illegal, but a high proportion of private sector tenants are not aware of their statutory rights and/or don't want to get a negative reference which could make it harder to find housing in the future. Plus with S21 coming back as soon as the temporary eviction ban is lifted it's not like the tenant would feel particularly secure building a life in the property anyway even if legally they can stay for now.

HOLA4412

Well, Tony Blair the millionnaire landlord, did try and overturn a democratic vote that would have left him with fewer customers from abroad.

Of course they're going to squeal about this!

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Locke said:

Don't pretend that you don't know that this is totally illegal and that she has zero power to get him out in this manner.

I guess he is a lodger - not sure how the legalities work at the moment.

HOLA4414
21 minutes ago, a j said:

I guess he is a lodger - not sure how the legalities work at the moment.

Legalities not generally in favour of lodgers going by this

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_of_lodgers_and_other_excluded_occupiers

But there again, there has to be a balance I guess as it will be the landlords primary residence.  

HOLA4415
3 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

I’ve been in touch with my tenants to assure them if they need help to let me know. My leverage is tiny, I don’t rely on tax breaks. Any decent landlord should have a contingency fund for emergencies. 

The market needs to be cleaned up and tightened. 

We have done the same. Our costs are higher as we do have a mortgage but we will absorb these as our tenants are decent people, they always pay scrupulously on time and in order that the bank doesn't see a "drop" in rental income,  we'll give them a cash rebate if necessary......and tbh, the very idea of turfing someone out without a VERY good reason, none of which we can envisage turns my stomach. They need a roof over their heads, we agreed to take the risk of providing said roof and have to take the good (income) with the bad ( a temporary or medium term income void). We knew this from the start, can hardly bitch about it now.

HOLA4416
37 minutes ago, solentmuppet said:

We have done the same. Our costs are higher as we do have a mortgage but we will absorb these as our tenants are decent people, they always pay scrupulously on time and in order that the bank doesn't see a "drop" in rental income,  we'll give them a cash rebate if necessary......and tbh, the very idea of turfing someone out without a VERY good reason, none of which we can envisage turns my stomach. They need a roof over their heads, we agreed to take the risk of providing said roof and have to take the good (income) with the bad ( a temporary or medium term income void). We knew this from the start, can hardly bitch about it now.

Good for you! Great to read this.

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Of course it's illegal, but a high proportion of private sector tenants are not aware of their statutory rights and/or don't want to get a negative reference which could make it harder to find housing in the future. Plus with S21 coming back as soon as the temporary eviction ban is lifted it's not like the tenant would feel particularly secure building a life in the property anyway even if legally they can stay for now.

It doesn't look like they are going to ban evictions. 

Ministers previously claimed they were introducing a “complete ban on evictions” and promised that landlords would not be able to “start proceedings to evict tenants for at least a three-month period”.

But Healey says the bill still allows landlords to give renters notice of eviction, as long as the notice period is at least three months.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
14 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Just had an email out of the blue from our landlord asking us to please pay rent as usual this month to prevent arrears building up. ****.

The two proactive landlords on here letting tenants know if they need help, to contact them are possibly the better 10%. 

There will be some bandwidth  

I would understand if some ‘fairish’ landlords might be preparing for forgo rent but not ‘advertising’ the fact at this stage because of the 80% wage rule....ie it might invite some tenants to take an easier route than following what I imagine will be a claims process with employers or the government. So waiting to see the impact then making contacts. 

Then others will passively do nothing until tenants contact them. Those with morals (or common sense because options are limited) will sort something out to help tenants. 

The remaining entitled LLs will do nothing then refuse tenants to option of forgoing rent....they will go into arrears anyway and once this is over hopefully the tenant moves to a better LL. 

The remaining 1% will be kn8bheads and write to tenants now asking for rent. Your LL deserves to go bankrupt for such an insensitive and selfish request. For all they know you could have had a mother in ICU etc and then you get this letter. Hope this situation breaks them financially. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Ridiculous unless you have previous of late payments. Are they usually like this?

In 5 years of renting from this guy we have paid rent on time every month and our references are similarly impeccable. We're not scrabbling around on the edge of society, we're full time permie wage slaves for a FTSE 100 company (me) and the civil service (her) who have been in our current jobs for 5+ years and have a comfortable 6 figure income. He has met and referenced us and knows this. We hardly hear from him normally, just the occasional short email about arranging a gas inspection.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
19 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

In 5 years of renting from this guy we have paid rent on time every month and our references are similarly impeccable. We're not scrabbling around on the edge of society, we're full time permie wage slaves for a FTSE 100 company (me) and the civil service (her) who have been in our current jobs for 5+ years and are well into 6 figures between us. He has met and referenced us and knows this. We hardly hear from him normally, just the occasional short email about arranging a gas inspection.

They're not cheap, those emails. 

HOLA4425