House Price Crash Forum

How safe is your money in the Bank?

HOLA441
3 hours ago, longgone said:

i have never had a decent loaf from waitrose, even paid £4 for this massive grande  loaf or what every they call it, its always hard as a rock and very poor quality the french sticks and laughable , in fact they are the worse bread of all the supermarkets even the budget ones. 

some sainsburys have a onsite baker, the one i go to sometimes has a multi-seed loaf which is great very firm bread but not hard or dry full of seeds. 

similar to this 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/taste-the-difference-artisan-seeded-sourdough-pave-400g 

None of these though are anywhere near a good as a good greek koulouri bread with aniseed.  very difficult to find though anyone in north london should find a deli and get one fresh in the morning with warm butter. 

Most of the supermarkets have trouble with French sticks.  I don't buy them anymore from anywhere now.

I do think there is some ok bread in Waitrose, it's all about personal taste.

Last year I stopped eating bread almost totally, one of the best ways of shedding weight imo.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
3 hours ago, longgone said:

i have never had a decent loaf from waitrose, even paid £4 for this massive grande  loaf or what every they call it, its always hard as a rock and very poor quality the french sticks and laughable , in fact they are the worse bread of all the supermarkets even the budget ones. 

some sainsburys have a onsite baker, the one i go to sometimes has a multi-seed loaf which is great very firm bread but not hard or dry full of seeds. 

similar to this 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/taste-the-difference-artisan-seeded-sourdough-pave-400g 

None of these though are anywhere near a good as a good greek koulouri bread with aniseed.  very difficult to find though anyone in north london should find a deli and get one fresh in the morning with warm butter. 

That aniseed taste is from caraway seeds.....you should think about making your own bread.....if you can find the strong bread flour.;)

HOLA443
12 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Most of the supermarkets have trouble with French sticks.  I don't buy them anymore from anywhere now.

I do think there is some ok bread in Waitrose, it's all about personal taste.

Last year I stopped eating bread almost totally, one of the best ways of shedding weight imo.

i`ve done the keto thing twice over the last year, yes you lose weight initially but as soon as the carbs go back you have lost no more than calorie counting. 

couple of slices of wholemeal bread is ok a day with a balanced diet.  a diet is hard now on this lock down too boring. 

HOLA444
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

That aniseed taste is from caraway seeds.....you should think about making your own bread.....if you can find the strong bread flour.;)

and the fennel seeds, there is another ingredient some bakers use though mahlepi  slightly sweet like almond marzipan. 

HOLA445
3 minutes ago, longgone said:

i`ve done the keto thing twice over the last year, yes you lose weight initially but as soon as the carbs go back you have lost no more than calorie counting. 

couple of slices of wholemeal bread is ok a day with a balanced diet.  a diet is hard now on this lock down too boring. 

Yes I know, I'm on a booze diet. I drink as much as my system will allow.  As luck would have it that's not a great deal.

I lost more than a stone at one stage but the numbing dark grey skies and endless rain overcame my defences in the end,  I've given up 6lb and I can feel it.

HOLA446
20 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Yes I know, I'm on a booze diet. I drink as much as my system will allow.  As luck would have it that's not a great deal.

I lost more than a stone at one stage but the numbing dark grey skies and endless rain overcame my defences in the end,  I've given up 6lb and I can feel it.

Sadly weight loss is mind over matter, i lost 95lbs over 18 months. 

i`m about 10lbs up again now, but started the weights again this week luckily there is a gym in the garage to use over this boring period. just have to lay off the carbs, alcohol is not great but most important is to not eat after you drink.  

HOLA447
58 minutes ago, longgone said:

One of the interesting things I've found over the last few weeks (been self-isolating for longer than the general lockdown due to a vulnerable family member) is that I have lost weight.

I don't know for 100% certain why, but some of the reasons might include:

- No longer eating at work, where the work canteen portion sizes are always bigger than I would serve myself

- No longer having takeaways and restaurant meals

- Drinking much less alcohol - just 1 beer at home now, instead of 2-3 on a social evening out

- Always making sure to do my 1 exercise per day as it's nice to get out of the house, instead of drive to work - drive home - TV

From what I read these feels unusual, and most people seem to be sat at home eating snacks!

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, longgone said:

I find limiting Pizza Hut to twice a day works wonders.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
19 hours ago, scottbeard said:

One of the interesting things I've found over the last few weeks (been self-isolating for longer than the general lockdown due to a vulnerable family member) is that I have lost weight.

I don't know for 100% certain why, but some of the reasons might include:

- No longer eating at work, where the work canteen portion sizes are always bigger than I would serve myself

- No longer having takeaways and restaurant meals

- Drinking much less alcohol - just 1 beer at home now, instead of 2-3 on a social evening out

- Always making sure to do my 1 exercise per day as it's nice to get out of the house, instead of drive to work - drive home - TV

From what I read these feels unusual, and most people seem to be sat at home eating snacks!

same here 3rd week for me in lock down.  

For me i had a routine every day a 6 mile walk and 10 mile at the weekends, i tend to have a Guinness 3 or 4 times a week now. went a bit overboard and bought 60 tins  but that`s not much over 3 months  couple bottles of brandy and whisky for the boring weekend. 

i never really ate Takeaways anyway and maybe ate out now and again for a pub meal  for me its more a case of buying food online i don`t really need and too much of it bread recently crumpets hot cross buns Doritos etc.  by the weekend all that will be gone so back on the healthy stuff next week chicken brown rice veg.  

HOLA4415

Banks are drawing up plans - watch out cause it's just drawing up but they're drawing up plans to do an international haircut in response to international crisis like pandemics and the draft. It's less than 1% at the moment but it's because they need to back the QE with established funds. 

They're trying to stave off a run *up* in markets, believe it or not.

HOLA4416
On 01/04/2020 at 14:42, longgone said:

"I've done the non-smoking thing and yes you reduce your lung cancer risk initially, but as soon as the fags go back, you have the same risk as before"

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
8 hours ago, longgone said:

Hardly the same  the scales lie your lungs don't

It Is the same. Refined carbs are actual poison and are at the root of today's diseases, which are really a manifestation of metabolic syndrome (type II diabetes)

Your weight is not as relevant as 

• Blood pressure
  • waist circumference
  • visceral fat
  • HDL:trig ratio
  • GGT

All of which see dramatic improvements with well formulated low carb diets. Blood pressure falls within 2 weeks.

You can feed isocaloric low carb diets to people and their weight and body fat will decrease while muscle mass usually goes u, so it is not a result of calorie resriction.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 01/04/2020 at 15:11, longgone said:

Sadly weight loss is mind over matter, i lost 95lbs over 18 months. 

i`m about 10lbs up again now, but started the weights again this week luckily there is a gym in the garage to use over this boring period. just have to lay off the carbs, alcohol is not great but most important is to not eat after you drink.  

Amen to that.

Booze is bad for the waistline, but I tend to find the munchies you get after a skinful (2000kcal Doner anyone>?), followed by the craving for high energy foods the following day is where the real damage is done.

HOLA4421
3 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

how safe is your money in banks? extremely, how safe is the value of your money in banks? not very

It's not. That's the dumbest thing I've heard you say.

It's not safe and haircuts are incoming, don't say you weren't warned.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

Amen to that.

Booze is bad for the waistline, but I tend to find the munchies you get after a skinful (2000kcal Doner anyone>?), followed by the craving for high energy foods the following day is where the real damage is done.

?

Farmfoods was the only shop with food in last week and I've been eating microwave donner kebabs daily as that was one of the few appealing looking things they had. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
36 minutes ago, adamLancs said:

I was thinking about this when I ws out for a run this morning... You can't justify letting a 50+ yo keep their final salary pension when no one else gets them and the world is on the brink of collapse.

If we are are all in this together then surely that starts with boomers final salary pensions and unearned housing wealth? 

HOLA4425
38 minutes ago, adamLancs said:

Ive checked the NS&I website, and whilst the interest rates are lower, they still guarantee 100% of your money is safe. Which is a good job as most of my savings are there.