House Price Crash Forum

Nimby of the Week Award goes to ...

HOLA441
7 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Thanks for that -  although I am pretty sure there would be people protesting against buildings in the middle of nowhere

Of course, even harder to not get depressed by anyone wanting to fvck up places we've not made too much of a mess of yet.

Building in general would be slightly more tolerable if it comes wth the viewpoint of a necessary evil, hand-in-hand with a long-term goal to stop the need for ever more development, but I've never seen anyone pro-building have that level of simple decency. The mess the last century of development has made (both in quality and quantity) is unforgiveable and attacking people disgusted and depressed by it really is very low.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
  • 1 month later...
HOLA443

This is spectacular:

Metro.co.uk: Northamptonshire: Gran claims BT broadband pole has wiped £30,000 from home's value.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/08/fuming-gran-claims-monstrous-bt-broadband-pole-has-wiped-30000-from-homes-value-16070888/

The mum-of-one added: ‘It’s just horrific, we can’t believe it. I’ve noticed people walking past looking up in horror.

We’ve always had a reputation for having the prettiest house in the area but now I feel embarrassed.

‘I am crushed and depressed. The pole is like a stake or a gallows outside our front door.’

HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
  • 1 month later...
HOLA446

Kent Online: 'Horror' as building work to last more than 12 hours a day.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/news/horror-as-building-work-to-last-more-than-12-hours-a-day-265597/

Old people saying all that building work will be awful for (stops to think a bit) - young people! Yes young people! Building houses would be really awful for the young so don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 1 month later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On 08/02/2022 at 20:40, Si1 said:

This is spectacular:

Metro.co.uk: Northamptonshire: Gran claims BT broadband pole has wiped £30,000 from home's value.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/08/fuming-gran-claims-monstrous-bt-broadband-pole-has-wiped-30000-from-homes-value-16070888/

The mum-of-one added: ‘It’s just horrific, we can’t believe it. I’ve noticed people walking past looking up in horror.

We’ve always had a reputation for having the prettiest house in the area but now I feel embarrassed.

‘I am crushed and depressed. The pole is like a stake or a gallows outside our front door.’

Muppet.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
34 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Objecting to skate park with zero consideration that these kids put their lives on hold for two years to protect the elderly. 

https://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/people/elderly-residents-in-brackley-alarmed-at-plans-for-a-ps150000-skateboard-park-opposite-their-homes-3730042?amp

Worth a look at google maps.

If you want a quiet retirement, perhaps you don't want to buy slap bang between a leisure centre and the local Scout hut, opposite playing fields and next to a very dodgy looking pub?

HOLA4419
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4420

So a family member (in law) has asked me to sign a petition preventing a development of 500+ houses from going ahead on the fields that their house backs on to. They live in a very affluent town next to our very affluent town. Now bear in mind that:

1. We are renters looking to buy our first family home (obviously they know this)
  2. Their rich parents bought them a house for £1.5m in London in 2015 which they sold a few years later for less than they bought in for (quite an achievement in itself), then bought another ~£1m house which they then paid builders to redevelop before they moved in
  3. They are millenials

Don't get me wrong, they are nice people but the lack of self awareness here is pretty breathtaking!! Not even 40 and already a NIMBY!

HOLA4421

Don't want hideous large-scale destructive mess of where they live? And you're having a go at them?

The attitudes towards the places we live in from some on this site are disgusting. It's as if they're blind to the world around them, because I can't grasp how anyone cannot be appalled by the loss and mess that the last century of development has caused, and yet they're pressing for more of the same sort of vandalism. Not even a bit of "we need to put up with some now as a necessary evil, but we absolutely MUST stop the demand and hence any need for continual building;" at least that would be a position coming from basic decency.

HOLA4422
7 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Don't want hideous large-scale destructive mess of where they live? And you're having a go at them?

The attitudes towards the places we live in from some on this site are disgusting. It's as if they're blind to the world around them, because I can't grasp how anyone cannot be appalled by the loss and mess that the last century of development has caused, and yet they're pressing for more of the same sort of vandalism. Not even a bit of "we need to put up with some now as a necessary evil, but we absolutely MUST stop the demand and hence any need for continual building;" at least that would be a position coming from basic decency.

Talk about disgusting attitudes. Did WW1 not reduce the peasantry enough for you?

If you didn't want your eyes offended by the sight of the lower orders and their housing you should have bought a country estate and not left it.

HOLA4423
On 01/08/2022 at 09:45, Riedquat said:

The people who created the visual construction/building/infrastructure mess as you see it, are the very same people that filled their pockets creating the mess, then buying up all the 'nice' properties with views then putting up the NIMBY sign's when they are nice and comfy, living in a sanitised version of the England they so adore. Tory, hypocrite central. 

HOLA4424
  • 5 weeks later...
HOLA4425