House Price Crash Forum
Captain Kirk

Nimby of the Week Award goes to ...

Cheddleton.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/local-news/protest-local-green-space-march-2602246

They may have a perfectly valid reason for protesting against this development, but it's always the same demographic making up these protesters. Mostly a bunch of old, probably nicely retired and nicely housed grandparents protesting with their grandchildren. Where did they think their offspring were going to live anyway? Did they think they would go off into the world and create more land? And why drag the little kids into it?

Please post NIMBY articles you come across on this thread if you like.

Here in North Wales the most pathetic nimby excuse I've heard for objecting to several different new housing developments is the detrimental impact they would have on the Welsh language!

Presumably they're concerned that the English will snap them up as holiday homes... so simply impose a local occupancy clause on them, problem solved.

Edited by nome

I've never seen anyone use the word "nimby" and not automatically sympathise with those they're complaining about. It always seems to be wanting to piss in someone else's back yard, and if they say they'd be quite happy with the same to them I can only conclude that they're so used to living somewhere that smells like a multistory car park stairwell that they simply can't see the objection.

The old folk intend to stop all development if they can help it then let the young folk compete with millions of immigrants for the inadequate supply of shelter...not an issue because they can pack them all in seven to a room and extract rents from them.

I can't read the banners the children are holding but they may be calling for higher rents, higher house prices and more cramped and miserable living conditions.

And the answer to that is to stop shoving in millions of immigrants. The "build more" brigade seem to be campaigning for an ever more uninspiring, miserable, souless country to live in, but they largely couldn't care about those things because they're not materially measurable and therefore irrelevant. Anyone who takes pleasure from their surroundings is to be demonised to the utmost.

Never thought I'd see the Sentinel on here!

A friend of mine had to leave Cheddleton due to prices and starting a family. His myopic mother will no doubt be on that protest while simultaneously decrying how little she sees her grandkids.

Stoke has gone through some crazy transition of late, anything decent seems to want ridiculous money. Case in point saw a place end of last year and wanted 30% over what paid in 2014 because they added a downstairs bathroom and log burner.

Lots of Nimbys in office I work in and same people complain about relatives struggling to get a house / young need help, then when one of the 20 somethings go on holiday shout they want it all and will never get a house.

On 04/03/2019 at 13:15, Riedquat said:

And the answer to that is to stop shoving in millions of immigrants. The "build more" brigade seem to be campaigning for an ever more uninspiring, miserable, souless country to live in, but they largely couldn't care about those things because they're not materially measurable and therefore irrelevant. Anyone who takes pleasure from their surroundings is to be demonised to the utmost.

I live in a large village of about 2500 people, but I'd be perfectly happy to see it expanded sympathetically to house maybe 10% more people who actually use the amenities and are part of the community, rather than the smug rich boomer brigade living in the posh bit who treat it like a dormitory & would be amongst the loudest complainers if that happened. I only ever see them on their way in & out of the village in their 4x4s on the way to Waitrose.

We have a village school, a secondary school which serves a large group of local villages, a doctors, a post office, a chemist, a small sandwich shop, a hairdresser, a pet shop, a small off license & general store, and 3 pubs. We got a small takeaway recently too which causes no hassle to anybody but the NIMBY minority did try to stop that.

Many of the people who use these facilities live in the new estate built 10 years ago and the 2 large expansions that were made in the 60s and 80s. If those developments never happened we'd probably have no shop, no doctors, no school, no post office, no chemist, 1 pub and no bus service, which would turn it into yet another small rural collection of rich middle class twats with no sense of community and no place for young people or the elderly.

I've just stumbled across a news item stating that singer Ed Sheeran has incurred the wrath of his neighbours by building a large pond, with planning permission mind, because it has what looks like a jetty and someone might go swimming in it, which heinous act is not permitted by planners' consent.

If I thought Surrey, Sussex and Hants were mostly populated by utter w*nk*rs I failed to realise they have nothing on this, which I think may be in Suffolk.

What utterly pathetic people these must be who have nothing better to do than mind this man's business. If I were Ed I'd get out of Britain as fast as possible.

They had this in Esher in the 1960s when some local nobs tried to stop George Harrison moving into their locale, like as if he were part of an inferior species or something. His money's just as good as their's. Stockbrokers were notable by their presence in this protest, probably by virtue of Harrison having infinitely more talent than they, being much more popular and a whole lot wealthier. Another reason is, I suspect, that some of these types don't really like themselves as human beings and secretly envy footballers and rock stars whom they subconciously see as part of a higher stratum. Not that the reason for this pus filled attitude even matters.

Nimby of the millenium more like.

Nimbys near me live in houses built on green fields in the 90s and even 2000s...seems now they are comfortably housed further housing provision should stop. They don't see any irony or injustice in this.

I would like to extend the logic...development is negative they claim...okay let's return their streets to fields...send in the demolition gang and wrecking ball....

On 12/03/2019 at 22:23, Wayward said:

Nimbys near me live in houses built on green fields in the 90s and even 2000s...seems now they are comfortably housed further housing provision should stop. They don't see any irony or injustice in this.

I would like to extend the logic...development is negative they claim...okay let's return their streets to fields...send in the demolition gang and wrecking ball....

Good idea. But are they claiming that there's nothing wrong with the houses they're living in? The irresponsible fools have encouraged pushing up demand for housing leaving some people with no choice than to live in the modern crap that's fecked up so many places. Doesn't make them hypocrites to continue fighting against that and all the damage it's doing.

21 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

All that rat racing in London for nowt, because we all know houses near roads are almost unsellable.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-6827895/Familys-rural-idyll-threat-new-road-make-unsellable.html

So NIMBYs say you shouldn't build houses because the roads, power, local services etc are insufficient. And then they object to the building of roads, power, local services etc.

Be nice to get a bunch of HPCers, conduct a spoof protest. Placards could read "I'm ok jack"; "none of that nasty affordable round here", "I'm a savvy investor", "we want high house prices" etc - I'm sure the editors of the local rag won't read them  anyway