House Price Crash Forum

Nimby of the Week Award goes to ...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Wayward said:

Countryside is for the view...

If you can't do something functional without making a mess you shouldn't be doing it. No reason it shouldn't be both. People would be rather less anti-development if it wasn't that virtually all modern development is f***ing miserable.

• 11 months later...

It was erected directly outside Field Road resident Sally Griffiths’ front gate recently, who said she could hardly sleep because of it, and is even considering moving.

Ms Griffiths said neither the firm nor council had even told her about it, and that it’s now affecting “so many parts of [her] life”.

She added: “It’s so tall I feel threatened by it.”

And that's why this country is in such a f'ing mess. Get a grip, woman!

To be honest I think I can understand and agree that it needs taking down. Let's be honest it looks pretty miserable. Why have they put a woolly hat on it I've no idea. I see they've put a jacket on it too, maybe that and the hat is just part of trying to make it look nicer and more acceptable for the local residents.....

9541298.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Edited by Arpeggio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/03/2019 at 22:23, Wayward said:

Nimbys near me live in houses built on green fields in the 90s and even 2000s...seems now they are comfortably housed further housing provision should stop. They don't see any irony or injustice in this.

I would like to extend the logic...development is negative they claim...okay let's return their streets to fields...send in the demolition gang and wrecking ball....

I have two anecdotes to this. I used to live in Bluebell drive. so called because they knocked down nurseries to build houses and the roads all had that sort of name. When they went to build some more on other ex nursery sites there were all sorts of protests, I used to have fun pointing out how their street got its name.

But my top dollar anecdote about nimbyism is thus. We lived on a road where the houses had long back gardens and if you can imagine a road where at a sort of 45 degree angle they met at the top and their  back gardens backed onto each other. Someone bought a few ends of gardens at the top and created at little close - Phase 1. Then a few years later another developer bought a few more Phase 2 and so on.

Phase 1 objected to Phase 2. Phase 1 and 2 objected to Phase 3. Phase 1,2 and 3 objected to Phase 4. Then for a grand finale 1,2,3 and 4 objected to phase 5.

It wasn't just the people who lived in the houses it was the people who had sold their gardens !

14 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I have two anecdotes to this. I used to live in Bluebell drive. so called because they knocked down nurseries to build houses and the roads all had that sort of name. When they went to build some more on other ex nursery sites there were all sorts of protests, I used to have fun pointing out how their street got its name.

But my top dollar anecdote about nimbyism is thus. We lived on a road where the houses had long back gardens and if you can imagine a road where at a sort of 45 degree angle they met at the top and their  back gardens backed onto each other. Someone bought a few ends of gardens at the top and created at little close - Phase 1. Then a few years later another developer bought a few more Phase 2 and so on.

Phase 1 objected to Phase 2. Phase 1 and 2 objected to Phase 3. Phase 1,2 and 3 objected to Phase 4. Then for a grand finale 1,2,3 and 4 objected to phase 5.

It wasn't just the people who lived in the houses it was the people who had sold their gardens !

About says it all.....can sell their own back yards for profit and move, but not in their own new back yard.;)

1 minute ago, Roman Roady said:

Nimby of the week:- my nomination is Benjamin Netanyahu....just saying since there doesn't seen to be a thread on what is looking like a major Black Swan swimming in our general direction.

Do you mean a huge war in the middle East sucking America back in because it's Israel?

35 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Do you mean a huge war in the middle East sucking America back in because it's Israel?

Yes...that type of stuff!

You know, US backs Israel, Russia and China at the very best remain neutral (although we all know they will take sides), Iran blocks the straits of Horouz, goading a previously conflicted KSA into a hot war in the Gulf...Oil/Gas price spikes etc.

31 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Yes...that type of stuff!

You know, US backs Israel, Russia and China at the very best remain neutral (although we all know they will take sides), Iran blocks the straits of Horouz, goading a previously conflicted KSA into a hot war in the Gulf...Oil/Gas price spikes etc.

If America are drawn into the middle East like this, is that Russia's opportunity to annex more of the Ukraine? Or China's chance to take Taiwan? Or both?

• 3 weeks later...