House Price Crash Forum

Another raffle - We're not giving it away.

HOLA441
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
5 hours ago, GeneCernan said:

Look at the rules I posted above. If they sell fewer than 600,000 tickets then that would certainly constitute "failing to succeed" as defined in those rules.

If that happens then the prize reverts to a cash prize, of 75% of the total takings. In other words, they keep 25% of the total take if the sales of tickets do not reach 600,000 (£7.5m in ticket sales).

25% of each ticket sale is £3.00, so either they end up with £7.5m for their house (less costs which I suspect are £5k tops), or they just pocket £3.00 from every ticket sale.

I'm assuming the stamp duty and other costs need to come out of the ticket sales. On the basis of a transaction for £5.25m that would be £543,750 for those who don't own a property or £701,250 for those who do. So I can see why they would set a target of £6m ticket sales - to cover £5.25m and the stamp duty. £7.5m doesn't seem to make any sense.

HOLA443
12 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

There’s a free entry option (i understand that’s part of the legal setup). Anyway that option makes it even less likely to sell enough tickets. 

Yup, you can either pay the the £13.50, or pay £1.12, the cost of two second class stamps to enter by post, I know which I'd choose.

Could torpedo this competition by spreading the free entry option on Twitter.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
10 hours ago, Byron said:

So, it has been on the market for 22 years?

is that a record?

I’m seeing this a lot though not on that timescale. All talk of a great market but the reality seems to be not much moving at all because people cannot get ‘what it’s worth’ and EA’s closing branches, sacking staff and going out of business in the meantime.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

What a financial liability. Will need sit on mower, petrol and servicing. The walls might need repainting every few years. Hardly a modern well insulated place with cedral cladding.

Expensive looking place near me, right next to large fields with pristine all identical looking crops. God knows what they spray on them. No thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
13 hours ago, rantnrave said:

New blow to amateur smart-a55 property speculators - being a thick as mince moron doesn't change because you bought a house.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
On 11/09/2018 at 07:24, Houdini said:

One for Spyguy as it's in the middle of the Moors http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/16833481.chance-to-win-a-500000-house-in-a-national-park-for-10-a-ticket/

It uses Stripe for payments (who won't accept lotteries) so probably won't last long...

Grosmont is a banging place ... if you live in Egton.

I spent 1h there 2 weeks ago, waiting for steam trains to connect.

Bought it 40 years ago. Id guess theyd have been 30s.

Id guess the top 10 percentile of 30 y in the Esk valley dont earn more than 40k.

Adjust the price to wages. With mmr they are not going to get more than 4x.

https://wayh.co.uk

Swimming pool. Never. Ever.

Some of the decor would make a ?????? gag.

Edited by HPC Pollster
racial slur

• 3 months later...
HOLA4416

I've just got an email through from the people in North Yorkshire - the Gambling Commission agree with me that it's a lottery so they have to refund everyone...

So hopefully that will bring an end to these stupid dreams....

Edited by Houdini

HOLA4417
On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:39, GeneCernan said:

From the F.A.Q

What happens if not enough tickets are sold?
If the target value as stated in the terms and conditions is not met by the competition deadline, the competition promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize with a cash alternative which will be equal to the total amount of payments received minus reasonable administrative costs, not to exceed 25% of net payments received.

How can this possibly be legal? Run a raffle, knowing you won't sell enough tickets, and then keep up to 25% of the money.

It does seem open to abuse. Perhaps running a raffle isn't as dumb an idea as I thought.

Edit: just read Houdini's post so looks like it is.

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4418
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
21 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Nice of them to play the "Aw, you're denying Cancer Research money by stopping us!" card.

Yeah, those mean old people at the Gambling Commission stopping us lining our pockets.

Clearly don't realise that their house just isn't worth that much. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 10/08/2018 at 13:28, Ash4781 said:

They’ll struggle to sell all the tickets at £13.50 each. Wow. 

https://www.windancershillhouse.com/update/

Update 13th December 2018

Hello,

Melanie Walsh here, the owner of Dancers Hill House. Six months has passed and I am excited to share a brief update on the progress of the house competition

With your help and trust, I have had an incredible response to ticket sales, however I am still not quite there yet. I have therefore extended the competition for a further 6 months to ensure all entries are sold. I will be giving monthly updates in the New Year.

I am not a magician but I do know that the more entries you buy, the better chance of winning you may have. Will you be the lucky person to collect the keys? Click here if you want to play again and better your chances.

Wishing you good luck in the New Year.

Best,

Melanie Walsh

HOLA4424
On 21/12/2018 at 09:00, Houdini said:

I've just got an email through from the people in North Yorkshire - the Gambling Commission agree with me that it's a lottery so they have to refund everyone...

So hopefully that will bring an end to these stupid dreams....

I've complained to the Gambling Commission about similar high value lotteries in the past that didn't have a skills based component. It's worth doing, even though the GC don't provide feedback. 

If you see a house lottery without a skill component, then please contact the Gambling Commission

HOLA4425
36 minutes ago, Little Professor said:

Free Entry option

To enter for free please send a sealed envelope with a 1st class stamp to:

Dancers Hill House
Dancers Lane
Barnet
Herts
EN5 4RX

• Only one entry per envelope
  • Include your name, address, telephone and email address
  • Include your answer to the question here

Only entries with the correct answer will be valid.

£12.50 on the interweb, or the cost of a 2nd class stamp? 

Get your relatively cheap entries in, HPCers.

edit: is the mention of a (the inclusion of?) a 1st class stamp legal? I'm feeling another inquiry to the Gambling Commission coming on.....

Edited by Guest