House Price Crash Forum

Is The Sea Becoming More Dangerous Or Are People Becoming More Stupid

One-percent

HOLA441
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

1939-45? Pfft. Our coast is riddled with fortifications built to defend against the threat from Napoleon.

Grenouille! Merde alors!

The Afrikaans word is "kikker", and much more descriptive.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Ok breaking news this morning, another "swimmer" is missing off camber sands, story made the BBC news at 11am a multi agency search is underway so what time was it reported? I'd say pre 10am? a tad early isnt it? something is going on at camber sands and it aint ordinary daytrippers IMPO.

A multi-agency search is under way at Camber Sands for a person thought to be missing in the sea, the RNLI has said.

The latest search comes just four days after five men died while on the East Sussex beach on the hottest day of the year.

edit: person seen going out at 8am, bit early for a swim isnt it? Did they have a wetsuit on? What is the sea temp at 8am?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

It probably is, but otoh, it just encourages people to take less and less responsibility for personal safety. Apparently the family are complaining, saying the beach should have been patrolled. No, actually, individual responsibility is what's needed, it ain't a fecking large swimming pool. It is the sea.

That would actually be a good warning sign on roads and paths leasing to the sea: "This is NOT a large swimming pool - It is the sea! Respect it." or similar.

HOLA448

That would actually be a good warning sign on roads and paths leasing to the sea: "This is NOT a large swimming pool - It is the sea! Respect it." or similar.

You assume they can read/ would read lol. Any idiot knows (or should) that it is dangerous and unpredictable even on a good day. Someone I was at school with was with the diving club in the harbour. Forgot to turn on the air tank prior to jumping in. Then when in difficulty, could not release the weight belt so could not then surface. Not a nice way to go and bloody stupid

HOLA449

Nah, no warning signs everywhere, it just looks like wrapping the world up in cotton wool. Reserve warnings for the things that a reasonably sensible person can't expect and might encounter. I hate this "you need to be specially instructed and especially cautious just to exist outside your padded insulated-from-reality modern world" attitude.

HOLA4410

I keep thinking of the telegram from "swallows and amazons": "Better drowned than duffers. If not duffers, won't drown." Do you think there was really a time when half a dozen pre-teens would have been let out on a lake on their own for a couple of days?

In the time when it might've happened I can't see many having the time to do it, I suppose they had wealthy families. On the basis that a story musn't be too divorced from reality in certain respects (obviosly they get away with it in plenty of others) before losing readers I suppose it could've been a possibility.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

You assume they can read/ would read lol. Any idiot knows (or should) that it is dangerous and unpredictable even on a good day. Someone I was at school with was with the diving club in the harbour. Forgot to turn on the air tank prior to jumping in. Then when in difficulty, could not release the weight belt so could not then surface. Not a nice way to go and bloody stupid

They also forgot to semi inflate their BCD, have the regulator in the mouth with a hand over it and probably to do up the dive belt for right hand quick release. Family probably blamed the dive buddy. This is Darwinian self selection.

HOLA4413

Did the person survive?

HOLA4414

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-37208338

What is the tidal situation at 8am at camber?

Gone out before the lifeguards came on duty? So as not to be observed?

Something is out on the sandbars? something of value? and people are trying to retrieve it?

Tides at Camber Sands

http://magicseaweed.com/Camber-sands-Surf-Report/3940/Tide/

People get lost at sea for all sorts of reasons including suicide which is one of the most common causes of fatality at my local beach. I used to know someone who died that way. She had a life long history of depression and one morning simply walked out into the sea and did not come back until the tide washed her body ashore. She was a good swimmer, knew the beach well, the conditions were good and the area was as 'safe' as any bathing area you could find on this stretch of coast. The area also had regular beach patrols in the summer. It did not stop her dying because as the coroner concluded that is what she wanted to do.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

A local we got to know in Barbados had a good saying from his granny: (pls imagine lovely West Indian lilt) - 'The sea have no back door.'

HOLA4420

Not waving but drowning

Nobody heard him, the dead man,

But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

Stevie Smith

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I keep thinking of the telegram from "swallows and amazons": "Better drowned than duffers. If not duffers, won't drown." Do you think there was really a time when half a dozen pre-teens would have been let out on a lake on their own for a couple of days?

For those types of childrens stories, the author has to get rid of the parents so that the (parentless) adventures can begin.

HOLA4425

Archived