House Price Crash Forum

Is The Sea Becoming More Dangerous Or Are People Becoming More Stupid

One-percent

HOLA441

But the tide was comimg in.

Rule of thumb its safer to swim in the sea when theres an incoming sand. Go on your back, stay still and youll be washed ashoreeventually. Or at least easily seen by beach patrol - lie on you back and wave one arm.

I can see that you are very knowledgeable and experienced and must practice this, fully clothed, regularly.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't think the grouping is that significant, you'd expect a surge in drownings at this time of year due to an increase in the number of people going into the sea.

It also probably doesn't help that these are likely to be day-trips taken at short notice, on a planned holiday it's possibly likely that people would take things a bit more slowly and think about the risks a bit more.

The five may not have been as stupid as we like to think. These freak accidents have always occurred due to freak currents or unusually rapid tides. Six choir boys between 9 and 11 years old killed in 1868 by freak currents off Prestatyn comes to mind. A mass drowning tends to suggest bad luck as opposed to mass stupidity.

HOLA446

Accidents can happen to anyone... touch wood,

26th Aug 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/26/richard-branson-survives-high-speed-bicycle-crash

He was with his two children, Holly and Sam, when he hit a road hump as they headed down a hill in the dark.

“The next thing I knew, I was being hurled over the handlebars and my life was literally flashing before my eyes,” he said. “I really thought I was going to die...

his bike disappeared over the side of a cliff and he was left counting his blessings that he was alive and not more seriously injured.

richardbransoncrash.jpg

HOLA447

26th Aug 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/26/richard-branson-survives-high-speed-bicycle-crash

He was with his two children, Holly and Sam, when he hit a road hump as they headed down a hill in the dark.

The next thing I knew, I was being hurled over the handlebars and my life was literally flashing before my eyes, he said. I really thought I was going to die...

his bike disappeared over the side of a cliff and he was left counting his blessings that he was alive and not more seriously injured.

richardbransoncrash.jpg

Well in his case he invites it. A typical Hooray Henry that thinks life is about bragging about your near death experiences.

HOLA448

26th Aug 2016

“The next thing I knew, I was being hurled over the handlebars and my life was literally flashing before my eyes,” he said. “I really thought I was going to die...

richardbransoncrash.jpg

That's what happens if you cross Corbyn.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It's probably worth doing, people do tend to just pile in thinking the sea has the same characteristics everywhere because it looks the same.

There's one beach in Cornwall, Loe Bar near Porthleven, that's absolutely lethal because of the currents. There are warning signs but not everybody's going to take the time to read them. It's not patrolled because you would be mad to swim there so it's never going to have the red and yellow flags up.

HOLA4414

To be found washing up dead at 2pm at cambersands means the 3:33am high tide must have been the cause?

Because 3 bodies were pulled from the sea before the 15:57pm high tide.

So the police are telling the public they travelled to the beach together for a day out to enjoy the hot weather?

Pretty basic investigatory work to check the high tide timetable isnt it!

The time to bodies were recovered and tide tides, to me, dont tally.

Lets say they went out for a dat trip. What time do you expect someone from London to arrive? 10am 11am?

HOLA4415

This seems very odd. Yesterday it was quicksand (which posters on this thread have shown to be very unlikely). Now, it is reported as an eyewitness account. How could this person possibly know? He also seems to think that the sea magically had a mind of its own and was very unpredictable. I was walking on the cliff top that day, another coastline, but, it was like a mill pond. When the sea is like that, it swells slowly in and recedes slowly out. There is no sudden and unpredictable movement. They might have been trapped on a sandbank, but with calm sea and not too far from the beach, and with them being reported as strong swimmers, I can't see them all been lost on n this way

Windis a big factor in how dangerous the tide us.

No wind blowing in off the sea means the tide will bubble up slowly.

HOLA4416

I can see that you are very knowledgeable and experienced and must practice this, fully clothed, regularly.

Sort of.

Falling in the open sea can be panicy. You have to stay calmish and save energy and try and be seen.

Ive practised a few times.

Ive experienced it more.

HOLA4417

It's probably worth doing, people do tend to just pile in thinking the sea has the same characteristics everywhere because it looks the same.

There's one beach in Cornwall, Loe Bar near Porthleven, that's absolutely lethal because of the currents. There are warning signs but not everybody's going to take the time to read them. It's not patrolled because you would be mad to swim there so it's never going to have the red and yellow flags up.

It probably is, but otoh, it just encourages people to take less and less responsibility for personal safety. Apparently the family are complaining, saying the beach should have been patrolled. No, actually, individual responsibility is what's needed, it ain't a fecking large swimming pool. It is the sea.

HOLA4418

You too have watched spy take part in the greasy pole completion then

At school dinner time, weused to eat our chips and pies by the harbour. Seeing Harts waste disposal expertise put we off doung anything that would involve me going in the harbour.

Come and row for us spy, youll love it.

Nah

HOLA4419

In an attempt to make people less stupid, the nanny state is alive and well on Camber Sands, explaining to people that the sea might be dangerous and needs to be treated with respect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-37194780

Imagine a meeting with a council board agenda item. They have probably two options to consider. Politically they can only do the one option. As upthread some people do some bizarre things in the sea.

HOLA4420

Im 70% tragic summer beach accident, 30% something else on this.

A group of people dont drown quitely, one by one.

If 2 were in trouble, youd expect 2 to help and 1 to get help. At least 1 to start waving a shirt or something.

HOLA4421

It probably is, but otoh, it just encourages people to take less and less responsibility for personal safety. Apparently the family are complaining, saying the beach should have been patrolled. No, actually, individual responsibility is what's needed, it ain't a fecking large swimming pool. It is the sea.

Early attempt to hit the compensation jackpot. It's a beach therefore it must be patrolled.

If there's a risk then someone must be liable. There's a couple of hundred miles of unfenced cliffs near me, how dare the council expose me to danger in such a cavalier fashion?

HOLA4422

Im 70% tragic summer beach accident, 30% something else on this.

A group of people dont drown quitely, one by one.

If 2 were in trouble, youd expect 2 to help and 1 to get help. At least 1 to start waving a shirt or something.

I got the impression from reading reports they were way, way out there? How far does the tide go out there?

HOLA4423

I got the impression from reading reports they were way, way out there? How far does the tide go out there?

I dont know the beach. From what ive read a good mile.

It was hot so there msy have been heat haze to factor in too.

Id like to know the times they arrived.

After 9am the morning its an accident.

10pm previous night then its fishy.

HOLA4424

Going by the friends TV interview, these are not UK born Tamils. The friend had a heavy accent, so in the UK for less than 10 years.

If these were 2nd gen Hindus/Indians id have said 100% accident.

The fact that they are recent Tamil migrants makes me susoicious. Tamils have form for using containers for people smuggling.

HOLA4425

People in the UK are so used to nature being tamed, coerced, regulated, corralled and concreted over that they get a bit of surprise when they meet it in its raw form. The sea is always 'wild' in the true meaning of the term even on a calm sunny day. One wrong move and you are dead.

Archived