House Price Crash Forum

Is The Sea Becoming More Dangerous Or Are People Becoming More Stupid

One-percent

HOLA441

The land between high and low tide does not belong to the council. It is property of the crown. Even if the local authority owns the area above high water (it sometimes is in private hands) they have no real legal responsibility for what happens lower down the beach below high water. In that respect trying to bring a compensation claim to court against the council for what happens there is likely be both costly and futile.

Early attempt to hit the compensation jackpot. It's a beach therefore it must be patrolled.

If there's a risk then someone must be liable. There's a couple of hundred miles of unfenced cliffs near me, how dare the council expose me to danger in such a cavalier fashion?

The land between high and low tide does not belong to the council. It is property of the crown. Even if the local authority owns the area above high water (it sometimes is in private hands) they have no real legal responsibility for what happens lower down the beach below high water. In that respect trying to bring a compensation claim to court against the council for what happens there is likely be both costly and futile. There is no legal right to access the foreshore except on a boat at high tide for the purposes of navigation though the crown generally grants what is known as permissive access

http://naturenet.net/law/rivers.html

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4505161?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Basically if you go there you do so at your own risk.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

The land between high and low tide does not belong to the council. It is property of the crown. Even if the local authority owns the area above high water (it sometimes is in private hands) they have no real legal responsibility for what happens lower down the beach below high water. In that respect trying to bring a compensation claim to court against the council is likely be both costly and futile.

But will probably be eligible for legal aid.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The sea is always dangerous, everywhere and at all times. Some beaches are less dangerous than others but those who think any are 'safe' in the terms most laymen understand the term don't understand the sea.

True, it needs to be respected and individuals need to take responsibility for their own personal safety. But they don't and view the sea as one massive outdoor pool.

HOLA447

Didn't we have a whole thread on this topic?

That quote is 100% accurate. Not long ago, I pulled someone out of a swimming pool (!) who was done for. Her mates were within 5 feet of her and had absolutely no idea she was in trouble. Even I was stunned by how serene it looked. I almost hesitated from going in (I was just passing by) but thankfully my instincts won out and proved right. The lady was very, very, tearfully grateful. And I was pleased to know that somewhere deep in the old brain, I could still do it!

Got the CCTV footage. At 35 minutes if it won't embed correctly.

damn.

HOLA448

People in the UK are so used to nature being tamed, coerced, regulated, corralled and concreted over that they get a bit of surprise when they meet it in its raw form. The sea is always 'wild' in the true meaning of the term even on a calm sunny day. One wrong move and you are dead.

And then start bleating on about how shocking that's still the case in this day and age and that something should be done about it (which obviously doesn't include such people engaging their brains when it comes to the real world).

HOLA449

Theres a couple of incidents local to me + 1% that made we wince:

This is the most tragic and (maybe) similar to the Tamils:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1496752/Family-swept-to-deaths-as-boyfriend-acted-the-goat.html

'A wave, which witnesses said was around 30ft high, drenched the group as they stood near the seafront railings and Mr Johnson said the children had laughed at how wet they were. He admitted that he then climbed down on to the ledge but denied shouting "Come on!" at the sea.'

Mums facktard new boyfriend takes them wave dodging along Scabby front whilst there's 30 foot waves.

A 30f foot wave is like being hit by a two story house.

AFAIK one or both kids bodies have never been recovered.

Next one, two drunk bints go out to let fireworks off in the middle of the night, pissed.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/7958932.Drowning_due_partly_to__drink/?ref=arc

And a happy one to end - She fell off a ferry a few miles off Ravenscar.

Shes one lucky lady.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034741/Jeni-Anderson-tells-story-survival-plunging-ferry-North-Sea.html

HOLA4410

Theres a couple of incidents local to me + 1% that made we wince:

This is the most tragic and (maybe) similar to the Tamils:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1496752/Family-swept-to-deaths-as-boyfriend-acted-the-goat.html

'A wave, which witnesses said was around 30ft high, drenched the group as they stood near the seafront railings and Mr Johnson said the children had laughed at how wet they were. He admitted that he then climbed down on to the ledge but denied shouting "Come on!" at the sea.'

Mums facktard new boyfriend takes them wave dodging along Scabby front whilst there's 30 foot waves.

A 30f foot wave is like being hit by a two story house.

AFAIK one or both kids bodies have never been recovered.

Next one, two drunk bints go out to let fireworks off in the middle of the night, pissed.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/7958932.Drowning_due_partly_to__drink/?ref=arc

And a happy one to end - She fell off a ferry a few miles off Ravenscar.

Shes one lucky lady.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034741/Jeni-Anderson-tells-story-survival-plunging-ferry-North-Sea.html

Remember those.

This is one that I mentioned upthread. Even told by experienced fishermen to turn round, they carried on, with disastrous results.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7110705.stm

HOLA4411

Remember those.

This is one that I mentioned upthread. Even told by experienced fishermen to turn round, they carried on, with disastrous results.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7110705.stm

You have to be a serious nutter to take a 24ft cabin cruiser out into a sea with 20-30ft swell.

As a general rule a breaking wave hitting a sailing yacht side on will likely capsize it if the wave height is 1/3rd or more the waterline length of the yacht.

A Yacht has a deep ballasted keel which a motor boat won't possess.

HOLA4412

You have to be a serious nutter to take a 24ft cabin cruiser out into a sea with 20-30ft swell.As a general rule a breaking wave hitting a sailing yacht side on will likely capsize it if the wave height is 1/3rd or more the waterline length of the yacht.A Yacht has a deep ballasted keel which a motor boat won't possess.

Quite. They were from Middlesbrough so a bit 'special'. Not only did they kill themselves but they put others at risk how had to go out to attempt a rescue. Spokesman said people should be wary of going out in heavy seas. No sh!t Sherlock.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Quite. They were from Middlesbrough so a bit 'special'. Not only did they kill themselves but they put others at risk how had to go out to attempt a rescue. Spokesman said people should be wary of going out in heavy seas. No sh!t Sherlock.

They had most of the hstbour running down the peir waving at them.Even Siggy left his chippy.

They did not last a minute outside the piers.

HOLA4415

You have to be a serious nutter to take a 24ft cabin cruiser out into a sea with 20-30ft swell.As a general rule a breaking wave hitting a sailing yacht side on will likely capsize it if the wave height is 1/3rd or more the waterline length of the yacht.A Yacht has a deep ballasted keel which a motor boat won't possess.

I think they were coked and p1ssed up.

HOLA4416

It probably is, but otoh, it just encourages people to take less and less responsibility for personal safety. Apparently the family are complaining, saying the beach should have been patrolled. No, actually, individual responsibility is what's needed, it ain't a fecking large swimming pool. It is the sea.

It's not that long ago that there weren't any lifeguards at all (not specifically referring to Camber) like say the US and Australian Baywatch type. In the UK they started fairly recently on some popular beaches - before you had to rely on what few signs there were and knowledge of the dangers through anecdote and some stuff in the media - and common sense. I don't think that the deaths then were any higher - they're only there for a few hours during the day.

Now the bereaved are saying the beach should be closed and fenced off. I don't agree with that. Apart from anything else lots of people use them without going for a swim.

HOLA4417

They had most of the hstbour running down the peir waving at them.Even Siggy left his chippy.

They did not last a minute outside the piers.

I heard that they did not get out of harbour mouth, but the article suggests they did. The bar across between the piers makes things v difficult

Btw, siggy's chipshop is up for sale isn't it?

HOLA4418

It's not that long ago that there weren't any lifeguards at all (not specifically referring to Camber) like say the US and Australian Baywatch type. In the UK they started fairly recently on some popular beaches - before you had to rely on what few signs there were and knowledge of the dangers through anecdote and some stuff in the media - and common sense. I don't think that the deaths then were any higher - they're only there for a few hours during the day.

Now the bereaved are saying the beaches should be closed and fenced off. I don't agree with that. Apart from anything else lots of people use them without going for a swim.

Put lifeguards on the beach and people will automatically think, oh it must be safe and then not as you say folk used to do, use common sense. I'm surprised it's not gone up to be honest

HOLA4419

Now the bereaved are saying the beaches should be closed and fenced off. I don't agree with that. Apart from anything else lots of people use them without going for a swim.

London types, queer sorts.

It's like having lost somebody in a car crash and then demanding cars are banned.

HOLA4420

I heard that they did not get out of harbour mouth, but the article suggests they did. The bar across between the piers makes things v difficult

Btw, siggy's chipshop is up for sale isn't it?

It has been for years. I think hes trying to rent it in the meantime.

My mum rckons hes got a jib in Sainsburys.

HOLA4421

It's natural for the parents to seek to blame somebody else.

If I was in their position I'd think that it was my fault for not teaching my boy how to handle himself, and it would tear me apart. Rejecting that by projecting the blame is understandable, buy we shouldn't pander to it.

HOLA4422

London types, queer sorts.

It's like having lost somebody in a car crash and then demanding cars are banned.

Not quite ban cars but how often does someone wipe themselves out to be followed by calls about how dangerous the road is and that something must be done, smother it in crash barriers and put a 5mph on it. I really don't know just what sort of world these people want but it sounds like an awful place to live in (so please stop turning this one into that).

HOLA4423

Put lifeguards on the beach and people will automatically think, oh it must be safe and then not as you say folk used to do, use common sense. I'm surprised it's not gone up to be honest

Maybe we should simply mine the beaches just like in 1940. That should keep people off them.

Indeed one of the perils recently discovered during the building of an offshore wind farm near where I live on the south coast is unexploded ordnance from the Second World War. Mind how you step when you go paddling.

HOLA4424

Maybe we should simply mine the beaches just like in 1940. That should keep people off them.

Indeed one of the perils recently discovered during the building of an offshore wind farm near where I live on the south coast is unexploded ordnance from the Second World War. Mind how you step when you go paddling.

And here I was thinking that the only thing I needed to,worry about stepping on were weever fish

HOLA4425

1939-45? Pfft. Our coast is riddled with fortifications built to defend against the threat from Napoleon.

Archived