House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
44 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Countries like the UK remain beacons of democracy.

Sadly the EU is a zone of regression, with even countries that were thought to be success stories like Ireland showing signs of a breakdown in the political culture, with people turning towards apologists for violence.

****** a duck that is wild.

Didn't we have a few electoral commission investigations and something about a misleading the Monarch in the last few years

Edited by Staffsknot

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Back in May 6, 2017, I wrote

"I have a eurocrat staying with me at the  moment.

His view is, the EU side is slightly organized, the UK side is not at all.

Both will be playing hard ball, lest an easy hard brexit look like a good idea.  In other words, the EU are looking to make exit punitive.  This clearly reflects a lack of confidence in the EU, but that is realistic.

Most Leave people argued that this would not be the case last year, I imagine many will argue it was always going to be the case now.

I would imagine it will harden both sides attitude.  A bad deal will make Remainers feel vindicated, while people who think the EU is inherently evil will feel vindicated."

Four years later, it stands up to scrutiny.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Rishi Sunak should blame Brexit for ditching the pensions triple lock

The government is tying itself up in knots on how to wriggle out of the ‘triple lock’.

Not many of the dire warnings about the consequences of leaving the European Union have actually come to pass. There is, however, one group that looks likely to be hit, even if no one quite predicted it. The pensioners. It looks certain to cost them the ‘triple lock’ on their pensions: although since many of them voted for Brexit, they can hardly complain.

Although it might cause a brief storm, if the Chancellor Rishi Sunak simply explains the triple lock is collateral damage from Brexit, many pensioners will probably be quite happy with that.

spectator

HOLA449
HOLA4410
17 minutes ago, yelims said:

640px-Poem_by_Martin_Niemoeller_at_the_t

I had a go at doing this for the impending disaster on 1st January 2021 when all tariffs/inspecions commence.

They came for the fisherman and they didn't speak up as felt guilty voting for brexit.

Then they came for the farmers and they didn't speak up as felt guilty voting for brexit.

Then they came for the older people who like travelling abroad and they didn't speak up as felt guilty voting for brexit.

Then they came for the younger people who like travelling and working abroad  and they didn't speak up as they felt their vote would not make any difference voting to stay in europe.

Then they came for me and by that time it was too late as the votes had been counted and we lost. 

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Back in May 6, 2017, I wrote

"I have a eurocrat staying with me at the  moment.

His view is, the EU side is slightly organized, the UK side is not at all.

Both will be playing hard ball, lest an easy hard brexit look like a good idea.  In other words, the EU are looking to make exit punitive.  This clearly reflects a lack of confidence in the EU, but that is realistic.

Most Leave people argued that this would not be the case last year, I imagine many will argue it was always going to be the case now.

I would imagine it will harden both sides attitude.  A bad deal will make Remainers feel vindicated, while people who think the EU is inherently evil will feel vindicated."

Four years later, it stands up to scrutiny.

Having worked for the Commission that was pretty much my view re organisation but there was no desire to be punitive.

The EU side realised that the reality of becoming a third country was already so far removed from the Brexit sold to the British public that even a honest implementation would be seen as massively punitive and softened the deals we were offered. 

this is a pretty good overview Brexit: it’s all Barnier’s fault 

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4412

In August 2016, he predicted that within a year “growth in the UK will be far ahead of the rest of Europe, and even our exports to the rest of the continent will be up”. He cautioned about an unsustainable demand-led boom. In fact, we sank to the bottom of the G7 growth league. In the last five years, the UK economy on average has shrunk by 1 percent a year. The Eurozone enjoyed a small amount of growth.

HOLA4413
15 hours ago, winkie said:

Who are our friends nowadays......who do we have a special relationship with?;)

Same as ever I’d guess - they may be standing back a bit hoping for the fever to pass is all. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, yodigo said:

Any Remoaners like to explain the Lorry Driver shortages in Spain - with 4 million unemployed. You're all EU experts, so you should be able to answer easily enough.

You just don’t get it do you? Brexit is straw breaks camels back

Across developed world there are shortages of drivers and then there’s Covid

But Brexit is unique to UK adding on top of these pressures and the results are empty shelves, loss of productivity and slow down in economy and lol now no beer 😂

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/31/beer-shortages-at-wetherspoons-after-brexit-and-covid-hit-supply-chains-15184924/?ito=article.desktop.share.top.twitter

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Anyone old enough to remember the petrol strikes should be able to recall this was foretold by funnily enough the haulage industries. 

The EU and expanding our labour markets hollowed out long standing British haulage firms, it was partly why they joined the fuel protests. 

Blair and labour of course couldn't have cared less what a bunch of working class Brits told them about the future, how dare they.

It summed up arrogant remianers even then, we should only listen to Tax dependent public sector bores or lecturers in 'Lefty Toff University' rather than dare listen to the working class actually on the ground who could see the EU hollowing out swathes of British industry before their own eyes.  

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
58 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

Anyone old enough to remember the petrol strikes should be able to recall this was foretold by funnily enough the haulage industries. 

The EU and expanding our labour markets hollowed out long standing British haulage firms, it was partly why they joined the fuel protests. 

Blair and labour of course couldn't have cared less what a bunch of working class Brits told them about the future, how dare they.

It summed up arrogant remianers even then, we should only listen to Tax dependent public sector bores or lecturers in 'Lefty Toff University' rather than dare listen to the working class actually on the ground who could see the EU hollowing out swathes of British industry before their own eyes.  

That’s quite ironic seeing how it was Tories who deliberately set out to destroy whole industries under Thatcher and now doing so again under Brexit 

In meantime Germany has a great industrial system and even likes of Ireland became leaders in certain sectors like pharma and medical equipment 

Blaming EU while your own homegrown elites continue to shaft you is rather sad, some sort of Stockholm syndrome I suspect 

HOLA4420
4 hours ago, yodigo said:

Any Remoaners like to explain the Lorry Driver shortages in Spain - with 4 million unemployed. You're all EU experts, so you should be able to answer easily enough.

Good point, there is shortage of Lorry Drivers in the EU.

They can earn now good money at home, no need for them to drive or move to the UK.

And I'm sure they are not missing post Brexit hassles and bureaucracy.

Edited by rollover

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, yodigo said:

So there was no need to Brexit to give HGV drivers better pay then!!

Great..... another 'benefit' of Brexit debunked.

HOLA4422
11 minutes ago, yelims said:

That’s quite ironic seeing how it was Tories who deliberately set out to destroy whole industries under Thatcher and now doing so again under Brexit 

In meantime Germany has a great industrial system and even likes of Ireland became leaders in certain sectors like pharma and medical equipment 

Blaming EU while your own homegrown elites continue to shaft you is rather sad, some sort of Stockholm syndrome I suspect 

Not seeing the irony to be honest in your post. 

The only real irony at the time was the so called labour party ignoring a working class protest group in favour of keeping Tory capitalists in The City onside.

Again you immediately point to the only real beneficiary of the EU, Germany. I notice you don't point to Spain or the rest of club med. The EU wasn't sold on the premise it was to benefit Germany only. 

It's still enormously odd why the working class should have opted to stay in a club where our membership was only ever going to be wrapped around UK elites and their banker mates.

As remainers are seemingly keen to point out, working class haulage drivers are seeing their best pay rises in years being outside of the EU 

😄

HOLA4423
6 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

So there was no need to Brexit to give HGV drivers better pay then!!

Great..... another 'benefit' of Brexit debunked.

Well there was nothing stopping a uk government from setting minimum wages etc 

instead Tories went in opposite direction with zero hours contracts, reducing rights of workers and so on

HOLA4424
6 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

Not seeing the irony to be honest in your post. 

The only real irony at the time was the so called labour party ignoring a working class protest group in favour of keeping Tory capitalists in The City onside.

Again you immediately point to the only real beneficiary of the EU, Germany. I notice you don't point to Spain or the rest of club med. The EU wasn't sold on the premise it was to benefit Germany only. 

It's still enormously odd why the working class should have opted to stay in a club where our membership was only ever going to be wrapped around UK elites and their banker mates.

As remainers are seemingly keen to point out, working class haulage drivers are seeing their best pay rises in years being outside of the EU 

😄

They med countries ain’t doing too bad (seeing how their gdp fallen less than UKs) considering how early and hard they got walloped by Covid and tourism being suspended until recently 

UK is the sick man of Europe again but hey if blaming Labour while giving the current incompetent government in power for dozens years a free pass makes you feel good then good for you

HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, yelims said:

They med countries ain’t doing too bad (seeing how their gdp fallen less than UKs) considering how early and hard they got walloped by Covid and tourism being suspended until recently 

UK is the sick man of Europe again but hey if blaming Labour while giving the current incompetent government in power for dozens years a free pass makes you feel good then good for you

It's weird how invested you are in UK domestic politics that you make partisan arguments like that. Perhaps you should campaign for Ireland to rejoin if it matters to you that much.