House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
18 minutes ago, msi said:

This.  Br*xit was supposed to allow the UK to show off how capitalism works and let business thrive on their merits and not be beholden to 'under the table' EU deals.

How many other UK 'under the table' deals are being done?

Was it not Tories under Thatcher who started whole

no state aid level playing field hardcore capitalism mantra?

anyways no deal on services with Eu https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/01/post-brexit-talks-on-city-access-to-eu-have-stalled-rishi-sunak-reveals-mansion-house

just proclamations of trade with China while in next sentence warning China, I’m sure they are trembling in their boots, it ain’t the 19th century 

Edited by yelims

HOLA443

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57690505

Lorry driver shortage threatens Haribo sweets

German confectionery giant Haribo has said it is struggling to deliver its sweets to shops in the UK because of a shortage of lorry drivers. 

It said that like many other producers and retailers, it was "experiencing challenges" that were hitting supplies.

The haulage industry has blamed the pandemic and Brexit for thousands of unfilled HGV driver jobs.

HOLA444
2 minutes ago, yelims said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57690505

Lorry driver shortage threatens Haribo sweets

German confectionery giant Haribo has said it is struggling to deliver its sweets to shops in the UK because of a shortage of lorry drivers. 

It said that like many other producers and retailers, it was "experiencing challenges" that were hitting supplies.

The haulage industry has blamed the pandemic and Brexit for thousands of unfilled HGV driver jobs.

Are there no German lorry drivers that can help?

Reminds me of this classic though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44960293

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Good news about Batley. Another poke in the eye for BJ 👍.

A 2.9% swing to the Tories is a poke in the eye?

Labour only just scraped it, in this safe Labour seat.

Just to be clear I've never voted Tory, but let's get our facts straight.  This result repeated nationwide would mean a big Tory victory.

HOLA446
HOLA447
23 minutes ago, yelims said:

Was it not Tories under Thatcher who started whole

no state aid level playing field hardcore capitalism mantra?

anyways no deal on services with Eu https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/01/post-brexit-talks-on-city-access-to-eu-have-stalled-rishi-sunak-reveals-mansion-house

just proclamations of trade with China while in next sentence warning China, I’m sure they are trembling in their boots, it ain’t the 19th century 

That's the problem with Gunboat diplomacy - We don't have Gun Boats and the Chinese have heavily armed Islands with missile batteries.

HOLA448
HOLA449
20 minutes ago, kzb said:

Just to be clear I've never voted Tory, but let's get our facts straight.  This result repeated nationwide would mean a big Tory victory.

Votes in 2016 and 2019 were a victory for Remain apparently IIRC from posts here over the years, if you use other methods of calculating the winner 😉

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, kzb said:

Actually it is. 

The last few weeks I've heard repeatedly  the Tories were going to win it - or Labour were going to lose it. Especially after the Tories lost Amersham to the Lib Dems.

Happy for Jo Cox's sister too :)

HOLA4411
15 minutes ago, pig said:

Actually it is. 

The last few weeks I've heard repeatedly  the Tories were going to win it - or Labour were going to lose it. Especially after the Tories lost Amersham to the Lib Dems.

Happy for Jo Cox's sister too :)

They did well to scrape any majority at all. A 3,000 majority dropping to 300 should be ringing those alarm bells for Labour, again. Thankfully Sir Kneel is still in the job and looks like he will lead them into the next election :)

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Insane said:

Those that Voted Leave also want the country to prosper why would you think any different ? 

Companies and jobs have always moved in and out of the UK like any other country it is called business.  

I don't.....we all want the UK to prosper, but we need connectivity and interdependence, communication and agreement with our neighbours and friends, both give and take.;)

HOLA4413
10 hours ago, Staffsknot said:

See above bit I even highlighted for you with a citation. I guess all historians are making this horrendous faux pas or you are talking rubbish. I even went to Wikipedia to get one so it would be nice and clear - its from a text on German-Lithuanian relations in that particular bit you couldn't identify as always being a piece of Germany but trying to lecture me on what an intellect you have.

Care to revise that you know anything on this subject. Would now be a good time to reveal I've read quite a bit on Eastern European & Scandi history.

Would you like a lot more quotes and citations, I have a bookshelf I can go through. Or you know i can do the in vogue thing of spouting opinion as fact.

The Memmelanders didn't entirely ifentify as German but lookup Grand Seimas of 1905 and how the Memmelanders or East Prussians said no to having any part in joining any autonomous Lithuania. It was what was being called for of Russian Empire by former Kingdom of Lithuania reps ( not of the Germans, almost like they aren't all in Germany) after 1905 Revolution was put down and Tsar Nicholas needed to calm things.

Now its early here and having so dedicated yourself to digging that hole you must be shattered.

Enjoy Sydney and send me a postcard

Let's try a contemporaneous source (Zweck 1898), which describes the borders of Lithuania as the Deime and Ula rivers down to the Masurian Lake District in modern day Poland. Memel was considered Lithuania and the people were considered Lithuanians.

ll07zfI.png

You are misinterpreting the quote you provided because you are confused between political sovereignty and nationality. That people in Memelland were ambivalent about being part of a national state does not mean they were not Lithuanian. Your position is like saying that Venetians under Austrian sovereignty were not Italian.

The same text you are quoting from also cites the anthem of Mažlietuvis/Prussian Lithuania: "As Lithuanian we were born, and Lithuanian we remain. Our honour is our birthright, and it must stay the same." (My translation.)

HOLA4414
20 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Let's try a contemporaneous source (Zweck 1898), which describes the borders of Lithuania as the Deime and Ula rivers down to the Masurian Lake District in modern day Poland. Memel was considered Lithuania and the people were considered Lithuanians.

ll07zfI.png

You are misinterpreting the quote you provided because you are confused between political sovereignty and nationality. That people in Memelland were ambivalent about being part of a national state does not mean they were not Lithuanian. Your position is like saying that Venetians under Austrian sovereignty were not Italian.

The same text you are quoting from also cites the anthem of Mažlietuvis/Prussian Lithuania: "As Lithuanian we were born, and Lithuanian we remain. Our honour is our birthright, and it must stay the same." (My translation.)

If only there was some sort of I don’t know European Union where nationalistic silliness and resulting centuries of wars were put to rest /s

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Huggy said:

They did well to scrape any majority at all. A 3,000 majority dropping to 300 should be ringing those alarm bells for Labour, again. Thankfully Sir Kneel is still in the job and looks like he will lead them into the next election :)

Meh - just seen the MSM and I guess that’s where the  ‘2.9% swing to Conservatives’ nonsense is coming from lol

Gelloway split the Labour vote is what happened. What’s the deal with him? Really strange kettle of fish …

HOLA4416
22 minutes ago, pig said:

Gelloway split the Labour vote is what happened. What’s the deal with him? Really strange kettle of fish …

Not a fan of him at all. He is a caricature of what a comedy loony lefty would act like in my mind, but a real life person.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
30 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Live on news channels now. BJ babbling on about what's wrong with the NI / EU border rules that he signed up to. What a worthless piece of shite he is.

Entirely predictable 

here is my post from couple days ago

—-

the ball is on Boris’s court now let’s see how he ******s it up, time for Brexiteers to put their mouths where their promises were and implement that much promised technological border (in Irish Sea)

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

ll07zfI.png

Ah so you ignored the bit of that source that talked about Memmelanders identifying distinct from Germans and not identifying as Lithuanians.

You also ignore the Seimas where they effectively said we want to stay a part of Germany and not be Lithuanian citizens. So for your analogy we asked the Venetians and they told us what and who they wanted to be.

You are also confusing Lithuania Minor with Lithuania as Zweck ( take it you mean the Zweck of Stuttgart cited in Lithuanian National Congress petitions to US post WW1 for new nation). He makes the distinction of Lithuania and Lithuania Minor citing 650,000 people and 11,400km for the latter - as used in that report. The Lithuanians in that petition even cite it as East Prussia / Lithuania Minor and give Lithuania territory separate. That is Lithuanian nationalists saying what Lithuania is and asking can they have Lithuania Minor too.

Several other sources use East Prussia and Lithuania Minor interchangably which is what is tripping you up.

Moreover in late 1700s Lithuania ceased to exist as the Commonwealth reform made it one nation of Poland. But hey that's academic as you aren't talking Lithuania, Poland or any part that ever was.

Sources often described the borders of the British Empire as Canada in the West to NZ in the East, are we to believe that gave us the bits in between? Is that independent fiefdom of East Prussia that was stuck between Royal Prussia and Kingdom of Lithuania ever a fully paid up part of Kingdom of Lithuania - be honest say no.

Now I doubt you have Zweck on tap which means you ran off to Google again

Like Bob I await you answering when you became interested in Baltic History and why you are repeatedly blowing your toes off with foot shooting mocking and falling flat attempts to pull something back.

Is this why you are a sudden Brexit convert as you skip fact and like self inflicted damage and chucking out sovereignty and nationality distinctions to hide behind? Please stop or at least indicate you only have one round left as you are 5 toes down and its not fun to watch.

Seriously I am tempted to go and write a Wiki entry saying Lithuania no like german and a false citation just to give you something back

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, yelims said:

If only there was some sort of I don’t know European Union where nationalistic silliness and resulting centuries of wars were put to rest /s

We're into sovereignty and nationality now it must be near the end. 

Its actually very on trend for Brexit as he's shifting a border and trying to ignore a group who said no to where he's sticking that border

HOLA4421
10 minutes ago, yelims said:

Entirely predictable 

—-

the ball is on Boris’s court now let’s see how he ******s it up, time for Brexiteers to put their mouths where their promises were and implement that much promised technological border (in Irish Sea)

Of course, it was always his intention. The man couldn't be trusted to run a bath, the only thing he knows how to do is lie, and he's no good at that either.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, pig said:

Meh - just seen the MSM and I guess that’s where the  ‘2.9% swing to Conservatives’ nonsense is coming from lol

He is a Brexiter though, so those split Labour voters obviously not bothered about that.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
16 minutes ago, yelims said:

Entirely predictable 

—-

People in NI have to be pleased and delighted with their new border arrangement, otherwise they will vote it down in 2024.  I know I've said this before but not sure if it was to you.  I think both sides would be best spending their time on getting the technological border ready for action in the meantime.

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, kzb said:

People in NI have to be pleased and delighted with their new border arrangement, otherwise they will vote it down in 2024.  I know I've said this before but not sure if it was to you.  I think both sides would be best spending their time on getting the technological border ready for action in the meantime.

So we have to wait until 2024 for what you and other Brexiteers claimed be easy to implement?

There was an article in FT how French customs implemented and are operating a system ahead of brexit to minimise disruptions at Calais, so if the French can do it but Boris can’t what does that tell you?

anyways not related to Brexit directly but could have an influence on future is the colonial/imperial past is erm being remembered in Canada https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57693683