House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
8 minutes ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

This has brought home to me exactly what we did when we joined the EU. Parliament signed away its powers - which are derived from the electorate - to a foreign power.

I regard this as an act of treason.

?????:huh:

Are you talking about something else.

Back on planet earth our Supreme Court has just confirmed the sovereignty of Parliament

HOLA442
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

?????:huh:

Are you talking about something else.

Back on planet earth our Supreme Court has just confirmed the sovereignty of Parliament

Sophistry and weasel words.

The people have spoken. Reminders are playing with fire. They really can't conceive of the level of unrest they are going to see if Brexit is frustrated.

How would the UK function if 17 million+ go on a general strike?

HOLA443
1 minute ago, the gardener said:

The people have spoken. Reminders are playing with fire. They really can't conceive of the level of unrest they are going to see if Brexit is frustrated.

That's only an issue if Parliament doesn't vote it through. I don't like the idea of a PM being able to sidestep Parliament if she can claim enough public support, and if there's a conflict between public support for an idea and Parliament then that's a problem that needs fixing, not sidestepping. I don't usually go for "slippery slope" arguments but it's not a good idea to set such precedents IMO.

HOLA444

It would've been better tactically to not have this finding at this point.

Far better to have it further down the line when negotiations coming to an end.

If we don't like the deal, we could've said, oh hang on the presentation of A50 was not consititutional, it's all null and void.  We're not leaving after all.

HOLA445

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-battle-eu-theresa-may-single-market-free-trade-deal-negotiations-sir-andrew-cahn-uk-economy-a7532791.ht

6 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I think you rally are away with the fairies on this one. This is about following the rule of law nothing to do with frustrating Brexit.

First why would they, A50 will be quickly voted through and anyway given the demographic of the Brexit voters, would we notice. Mass refusal to draw pensions, benefits and unemployment pay doesn't sound that scary.   

HOLA446

The PM delayed by 82 days to wait for this appeal that was throughly lost by 8-3 (they would have known the likely outcome) 

As i have said all along the Government are just stalling at every chance they get, now it will be blame the judicary, Corbyn, SNP etc etc 

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

That's only an issue if Parliament doesn't vote it through. I don't like the idea of a PM being able to sidestep Parliament if she can claim enough public support, and if there's a conflict between public support for an idea and Parliament then that's a problem that needs fixing, not sidestepping. I don't usually go for "slippery slope" arguments but it's not a good idea to set such precedents IMO.

The unions are Remainers.  There won't be 17 million going on strike over this.. 

BTW, everyone says the BBC C4 et al have a left wing bias.  Have you noticed when it is industrial action by (largely) white males, that left wing bias evaporates? 

Believe me, if there were strikes for Brexit, the full force of the MSM propaganda machine will be directed against them.  Just look what they're doing with Trump.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
8 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Any PM / Party with or without Parliament's backing (though now we know we need it) that triggers exit from the single market without a ready made set of deals to step into is

a ) Mad

b.) will go down in history as the biggest idiot ever

c) will destroy the prosperity of the UK

I don't hold out hope for a sensible deal with the US, as it will mean mandatory high fructose corn syrup for breakfast, lunch and dinner.   And we'll all be driven Chryslers.

HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, ccc said:

Expected and if parliament do what the public have told them to do not an issue. 

Time will tell if they start to faff about.

I am sure they'll faff plenty.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
17 minutes ago, kzb said:

The unions are Remainers.  There won't be 17 million going on strike over this.. 

BTW, everyone says the BBC C4 et al have a left wing bias.  Have you noticed when it is industrial action by (largely) white males, that left wing bias evaporates? 

Believe me, if there were strikes for Brexit, the full force of the MSM propaganda machine will be directed against them.  Just look what they're doing with Trump.

Just look at what Trump is doing with Trump.

I feel sorry for Spicer how long can he face having to stand up in front of the worlds press arguing that black is white.   

HOLA4414
12 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Any PM / Party with or without Parliament's backing (though now we know we need it) that triggers exit from the single market without a ready made set of deals to step into is

a ) Mad

b.) will go down in history as the biggest idiot ever

c) will destroy the prosperity of the UK

I don't hold out hope for a sensible deal with the US, as it will mean mandatory high fructose corn syrup for breakfast, lunch and dinner.   And we'll all be driven Chryslers.

We're going to drive mustangs mate - it's going to be great!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 07/11/2016 at 3:36 PM, rollover said:

Odd things happening on this thread. Can't figure out why quoting rollover has appeared..._

Anyway, to my reply. What is it about the Supreme Court decision that the Attorney General doesn't understand. If you listen to his comments on the court steps, he seems to believe that at the end of the two year parliamentary debate, the executive can simply take us out without an agreement, if MP's haven't concluded how it will be done.

If that is what parliament  decides, then fine, but it is only Parliament who decides what to do if discussions are not complete.

I don't, nor have I ever, given a rats **** if we are in or out. But allowing a cabal called the 'executive' to decide, and ignore parliament, is the gravest danger to all our liberties and freedoms..._

HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, DiggerUK said:

Odd things happening on this thread. Can't figure out why quoting rollover has appeared..._

Anyway, to my reply. What is it about the Supreme Court decision that the Attorney General doesn't understand. If you listen to his comments on the court steps, he seems to believe that at the end of the two year parliamentary debate, the executive can simply take us out without an agreement, if MP's haven't concluded how it will be done.

If that is what parliament  decides, then fine, but it is only Parliament who decides what to do if discussions are not complete.

I don't, nor have I ever, given a rats **** if we are in or out. But allowing a cabal called the 'executive' to decide, and ignore parliament, is the gravest danger to all our liberties and freedoms..._

The people decided.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
32 minutes ago, DiggerUK said:

No. Theresa May is not the head of state, nor is she in her position through the virtue of a GE running as prime minister, nor is she above the constitutional processes of our parliament.

The terms & conditions shall be discussed in parliament and follow parliamentary process to ascension.

And not in Theresa May's kitchen in No.10 like Blair did with his scummy pals.

What part of that is a 'grave danger' to you?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Just now, ****-eyed octopus said:

Parliament made itself subservient to a foreign power. It had no right to do so. It was an act of treason.

At least Trumpski failed to get Farage installed. And anyway, it hasn't quite happened yet.

HOLA4424
7 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

What part of that is a 'grave danger' to you?

The grave danger is the kitchen at No.10.  The 'royal prerogative' of that room needs ending for good. Hopefully today's decision will speed up the burial process.

It's not Room 101 we should fear, it's the No.10 kitchen..._

HOLA4425