House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

"Want to compete" == "participate in race to the bottom." That's where the obsession with sacrifice everything on the altar of "economy beyond everything else" gets you. Anyway it's pretty laughable to say "we need more of what's already screwed us up in the first place."

Yes, we need to be more attractive than our competitor nations.

But competing against what for whom?

What has 'screwed us up'? More of what? UK Banks? UK Debt? UK demographic blip (boomers). End of British empire? Successive sh1te UK governments selling out nationalised assets for pennies?

I will keep saying it.

Brexit will not deter immigrants, nor with UK.gov stop them coming.

Brexit will further enrich the wealthy and politically connected.

Brexit will not rekindle UK manufacturing (outside of heavy arms).

Brexit 'may' further kindle our position as the defacto clearing house & tax shelter for the world.

Brexit will continue to bring down PM's and governments.

Brexit will accelerate the break-up this group of nations.

Is any of this what you voted for?

These 'Brexit' problems aren't uniquely UK problems either.

The entire world's population has nearly quadrupled since the end of the last great war.

Only together with partnerships with other Christian democratic nations can the west hope to get its sh1t together.

Or... turn this island into a fortress? naw.

Stop with the romantic notions.

16 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Cashinmatress - He's gone. Too far gone. Lost. He hates the British, hates working class people, hates those who disagree with him, hates, hates, hates.

?

Debate is good.

Especially when such an emotionally driven vote outcome is being met with facetious rhetoric and platitudes from our politico.

Scotland, London, Northern Ireland, Gibraltar all have a different view.

I'm arguing that we have taken the wrong first step, which should have been holding Westminster accountable and casting the finger of blame on the guilty parties versus scapegoating everybody else.

It will all come out in the wash anyhow. Perhaps in as little as a few months, more like a year or so when some decent political opposition appears.

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA445

"Stop with the romantic notions." I bloody well wish the Remainers would do that with regards to the EU.

Most of what you describe is precisely the sort of mindset that the EU exists to cater for. You keep saying it but without reason, without explaining how the EU protects us from that crap instead of adding to it. Apart from maybe the bit about bringing down PMs, good for it! That's what happens when they lose sight of the fact that they're supposed to be working for the whole country. The message is (slowly, slowly) getting in that such disregard for the country they're supposed to be serving has ceased to be acceptable. And what sh1t are you trying to get together? It sounds mostly like an acceleration of the path that's already made such a mess, accelerate the loss of value of labour in Britain, accelerate population growth, accelerate building sh1te all over the place, accelerate losing any sense of identity that remains, accelarate all those aspects of globalisation that benefit the wealthy and screw over everyone else. A post-EU government may well try even more of that but at least we can throw it out, and it's not as if it's not just the sort of thing people of that nature have been trying to push in this country anyway, there's nothing much about Brexit that'll make it easier for them.

The EU is doing nothing, absolutely nothing, to curtail the race to the bottom, to the society-destroying pressures of faster, bigger, less answerable, less accountable - an international organisation, by its very nature, pushes in the opposite direction.

Sure, perhaps it's a romantic notion that we'll ever give up all of that destructive nonsense in exchange for a quick bit of cash to the already wealthy, but being a romantic notion is why it's worth striving for. You on the other hand have nothing, absolutely nothing, worth having on offer.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA446
14 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Glad we got rid of that freedom of movement rubbish.  Oh!  Wait!

Between the USA and UK? A combination of distance and the UK not being a massively big draw to the USA (and probably reasonably close vice-versa) means that that shouldn't be a problem. It's been pointed out often enough that it was only opening up freedom of movement to nearby countries with significantly different prospects that turned it into a problem, but hey, I suppose it's much easier for you to simplify Leavers to "No immigration!" instead of looking beyond to why and where it's a problem.

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The EU is doing nothing, absolutely nothing, to curtail the race to the bottom, to the society-destroying pressures of faster, bigger, less answerable, less accountable - an international organisation, by its very nature, pushes in the opposite direction.

Really? How so?

I would argue that homogeneity in pricing mechanisms within this union is not a 'race to the bottom'.

HOLA448

This country needs more people grafting at £2 or £3/hour if it wants to compete. A lot more.

If it was me, I'd push the common man to relinquish all perks gained through the last century of post-war British social programmes, under a police baton.

Are you actually serious or are you trying to wind us up?

No, it wants to follow the USA with protectionism against undemocratic states that manipulate their currencies by government edict.  That are polluting the world on a massive scale.  That are turning frighteningly aggressive on the world stage.  They do this because the west has exported all its jobs to them.

I'm completely with Riedquat.  With Brexit and Trump, the globalists will be getting the message their behaviour is not acceptable. 

Maybe a false dawn but notice the sudden interest in industry.  Treeza is up north in a factory today.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

This country needs more people grafting at £2 or £3/hour if it wants to compete. A lot more.

You best get your ass into gear then:lol: 

Whats your view on work house`s ...do we need them at both ends of each street or just the one end ?

FFS ...what are you on 

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, kzb said:

Are you actually serious or are you trying to wind us up?

No, it wants to follow the USA with protectionism against undemocratic states that manipulate their currencies by government edict.  That are polluting the world on a massive scale.  That are turning frighteningly aggressive on the world stage.  They do this because the west has exported all its jobs to them.

I'm completely with Riedquat.  With Brexit and Trump, the globalists will be getting the message their behaviour is not acceptable. 

Maybe a false dawn but notice the sudden interest in industry.  Treeza is up north in a factory today.

Well that`s it in a nutshell ,like you say it`s not a done deal but it`s a chance ,far better than sitting on ones **** and voting for more of the same 

HOLA4412
3 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

Yes, we need to be more attractive than our competitor nations.

But competing against what for whom?

What has 'screwed us up'? More of what? UK Banks? UK Debt? UK demographic blip (boomers). End of British empire? Successive sh1te UK governments selling out nationalised assets for pennies?

Top two: Decades of UK governments & the MSM. The former for far, far worse actions than de-nationalisation.

Edited by Sheeple Splinter
Bold added

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Glad we got rid of that freedom of movement rubbish.  Oh!  Wait!

Making it easier for the British to work in the US and vice versa? Sounds eminently sensible. We should do the same with other English speaking, culturally similar, ex-colonies. It's about 100 times more likely that a Brit would want to go to the US to work as opposed to Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Romania et al.

I doubt that there would be hordes of the great unwashed of America heading in the opposite direction.

HOLA4414

ECB forward planning:

Any country leaving the eurozone would have to settle its claims or debts with the bloc’s payments system before severing ties, European Central Bank President Mario Draghi has said. ...

The threat of defaults on cross-border debts has often been credited as one element keeping the eurozone together throughout the financial crisis.

As these payments are not generally settled, weaker economies including Italy, Spain and Greece have accumulated huge liabilities towards Target 2 while Germany stands out as the biggest creditor with net claims of €754.1 billion.

http://www.euractiv.com/section/euro-finance/news/ecb-any-country-leaving-eurozone-must-settle-bill-first/

More on Target2:

TARGET2 at this particular stage is turning out to be an extraordinary large transfer from Bundesbank to essentially Italy and Spain, and most recently the European central bank. That means the Bundesbank is lending money to the European central bank and the question is – it’s big numbers. We’re talking 7, 800 billion euro.

https://www.capitalandconflict.com/geopolitics/europe-doomed-part-one/

Greenspan on euro crisis a month ago:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-12-13/greenspan-very-much-concerned-about-a-euro-crisis

HOLA4415
6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I suppose it's much easier for you to simplify Leavers to "No immigration!" instead of looking beyond to why and where it's a problem.

No immigration would be just fine for me, thanks. However I realise it's impractical and Britain needs some.

Seriously, for a moment, had David Cameron just reformed the benefits system to be like Spain or Germany, we wouldn't be having this discussion.The hordes from various quarters just wouldn't come. I doubt I'm in disagreement with you on this.

Anyway back to Theresa and Donald : per other threads on the board, Trump has canned TPP (woo-hoo, brilliant !!!!) and looks like NAFTA will be thrown under a bus too.

So it looks like Theresa will be getting a protectionist 'deal' scrawled on the back of her return flight ticket. That's one less 'free-trade' deal she's got to worry about. :lol:

Edited by ZeroSumGame

HOLA4416
7 hours ago, ZeroSumGame said:

No immigration would be just fine for me, thanks. However I realise it's impractical and Britain needs some.

Seriously, for a moment, had David Cameron just reformed the benefits system to be like Spain or Germany, we wouldn't be having this discussion.The hordes from various quarters just wouldn't come. I doubt I'm in disagreement with you on this.

Perhaps, but I'd still be stuck in traffic, and my Cubs would struggle for a school place, and my wife would still wait weeks for a referral. EE are Everywhere, there are millions of them (the official numbers are bullsh:t). It is too much. To fast, too much.

HOLA4417

With different benefit rules in place there would still be masses here. Not as many - but still too many. 

Went into Tesco yesterday to get a few things. Couldn't find a few things I usually do. Two new large Polish sections have appeared so I assume what I want to buy has been replaced by Polish sausages.

On the way there on Leith walk - a very busy road in central edinburgh- I noticed two previous 'normal' cafes have now become "Polish" cafes. One is the yellow bench cafe if anyone reading this is from the area.

This has all occurred within the two months I have been away on holiday. 

The numbers are staggering. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
57 minutes ago, ccc said:

With different benefit rules in place there would still be masses here. Not as many - but still too many. 

Went into Tesco yesterday to get a few things. Couldn't find a few things I usually do. Two new large Polish sections have appeared so I assume what I want to buy has been replaced by Polish sausages.

On the way there on Leith walk - a very busy road in central edinburgh- I noticed two previous 'normal' cafes have now become "Polish" cafes. One is the yellow bench cafe if anyone reading this is from the area.

This has all occurred within the two months I have been away on holiday. 

The numbers are staggering. 

I'm sure they have banned the Cumberland and forced us change our name to wojciech now

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Every day on the roads I see EE death trap cars barely able to move spewing absolute filth into my children's lungs. With respect - please fook off.

Funny you should say that one parked across the street from me. Will get a photo later. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
19 minutes ago, the gardener said:

8-3 against. Enemies of the people.

Time to dismantle the House of Lords etc and become a republic.

I don't have a problem with Parliament having to be responsible for these things instead of the PM being able to push them through, as far as I'm concerned that's exactly what Parliament's job is supposed to be, to run the country by doing these things, not just one person. It'll only be a problem if they don't act responsibly (uh-oh!) on behalf of the electorate by voting it through. It's a ruling on how the process should be done, not on Brexit.