House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
1 minute ago, Lurkerbelow said:

No.  Honda's closure IS because of brexit.

As I posted above the UK-JPN trade deal was stalled over the refusal of JPN to open up its car market.   It didn't need to as it already had a decades long base of operations in the UK.   Then suddenly JPN did an about face because of brexit and concluded the EU-JPN trade deal on the EU's terms because it's base of operations here in the UK was under threat.   There would have been no restarting of trade talks if brexit did not happen, and Honda UK would not closing if brexit did not happen.

Without a shadow of a doubt this closure is 100% the fault of brexit.   No if's no but's no maybe's.  It simply is.

So for once in this whole miserable saga accept responsibility for what you've done instead of coming up with excuses.

Right, so the local MP who says he's spoken to Honda and the minister  is a lying scumbag whereas you have the definitive truth of the matter. Forgive me if I pause here.

Can you provide any proof of what you say? If you are 100% certain this must mean that you have intimate knowledge about the decision process in Honda and I'd be very interested to hear about this.

HOLA442
HOLA443
7 minutes ago, crouch said:

Why is this thread 3200 pages long then? Is that just Leavers having a self congratulatory chat among themselves?

This is and a few others on the web is our last stronghold. Nobody in politics or the media are interested in the fight. Feck it, 700,000 plus marched through London and were totally ignored. The original referendum was based on lies, now remain has no representation - there is no democracy here.

You own it. Get on with the programme - whatever it might be. Remainers can just sit back for the next couple of decades and say I told you so every time we hear a step towards our falling over the edge into the void of na-da. Leavers will never hear the end of it, and nor should they.

Willing foot-soldiers of the disaster capitalists.

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I've a nephew who works for Honda in Swindon. 

Voted Leave. Think most did (Swindon in general was a "Leave" town). 

It's not Brexit 100% that's caused this, rather the threat/potential for a no deal Brexit. 

Of course Honda would leave if a 10% tariff on their exports looked remotely likely in the not too distant future. 

One of the reasons anyone who backs a no-deal Brexit tends to be deluded/a bit mad. 

Big tariffs on pretty much all our imports and exports nukes so many jobs it's unthinkable really. 

WTO terms are frankly a bit pants. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese senior management asked their workforce, for the good of the company, to vote remain. The workforce, in the way that comes naturally to them and not wanting to kowtow to their bosses, voted to leave and the Japanese, being Japanese, rewarded what they saw as insubordination in the way that comes naturally to them.

Japanese management with British workforce, the end result was predictable.

HOLA445
10 minutes ago, crouch said:

But why would they announce this decision before we've left? 

Making a decision on something that may be remotely likely (an oxymoron but we'll let that pass) seems odd. Why not wait for another few weeks. It sounds to me like there are other factors at the back of this and Brexit was the final straw.

The final straw was hubris from Jeremy Hunt:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/18/japan-almost-cancelled-brexit-talks-high-handed-letter-liam-fox-jeremy-hunt

8 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

The departure of the Japanese is particularly sad as they have been entirely honourable and supportive throughout their presence here. Agree

So much effort to build things up over the years (30+), torn down easily by idiots. It reminds me of when the statue of Saddam was toppled - little did they know what was round the corner.

HOLA446
11 minutes ago, Lurkerbelow said:

As I posted above the UK-JPN trade deal was stalled over the refusal of JPN to open up its car market.   It didn't need to as it already had a decades long base of operations in the UK.   Then suddenly JPN did an about face because of brexit and concluded the EU-JPN trade deal on the EU's terms because it's base of operations here in the UK was under threat.   There would have been no restarting of trade talks if brexit did not happen, and Honda UK would not closing if brexit did not happen.

Without a shadow of a doubt this closure is 100% the fault of brexit.   No if's no but's no maybe's.  It simply is.

So for once in this whole miserable saga accept responsibility for what you've done instead of coming up with excuses.

All they ever come up with are excuses. When will they start telling about these promised unicorn uplands? 3100+ pages and still not one upside... but loads of obfuscation, denial and excuses. 

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, Lurkerbelow said:

Blimey, if I'm reading that correctly it's like Brexit precipitated the massive EU/JPN trade deal. If that's the case then UK looks like a total mug in the light of todays news about Japan's negotiators view of us.

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese senior management asked their workforce, for the good of the company, to vote remain. The workforce, in the way that comes naturally to them and not wanting to kowtow to their bosses, voted to leave and the Japanese, being Japanese, rewarded what they saw as insubordination in the way that comes naturally to them.

Japanese management with British workforce, the end result was predictable.

Since it was decided to run down our manufacturing - first by the unions and then even harder by Thatcher - the Japanese have been a great thing for this country. Of course there are cultural differences. The Japs are a bit weird, but honour is high in their culture. It was symbiotic and the workforce should be proud of what they achieved in quality output - compared to the woeful story of Leyland and other British marques.

I would not be surprised if the Japanese feel deeply betrayed. I doubt they will ever trust us again, and they won't be the only ones.

HOLA449
4 minutes ago, crouch said:

Right, so the local MP who says he's spoken to Honda and the minister  is a lying scumbag whereas you have the definitive truth of the matter. Forgive me if I pause here.

Can you provide any proof of what you say? If you are 100% certain this must mean that you have intimate knowledge about the decision process in Honda and I'd be very interested to hear about this.

Oh come off it.   We know conservative MP's lie all the time.  Especially over brexit.   It comes to them as easily as breathing.  So why do you take any of their words at face value?

And I've already posted a link on the issue.  The EU-JPN trade deal happened because of brexit, and without that Honda would NOT be leaving.  

https://www.politico.eu/article/japan-eu-trade-deal-brexit-auto-industry/

So as I've already said stop coming up with excuses for what you've brought about, and for once in this whole miserable saga accept responsibility.

HOLA4410
1 minute ago, crouch said:

Disclosure: I voted Leave, but only on balance.  There are arguments for and against.

The determination in some quarters to attach all ills to Brexit really is tragic.
My Hamster's looking a bit peaky..  I wonder if its because...?

For a long while, the media droning on about Brexit in general seemed to be the most boring thing that's ever happened, but its not.

Staunch remainers bleating on about what a stupid idea Brexit is, desperately and tenuously linking it to everything and anything negative,  whilst contributing absolutely nothing to preparations is the most tedious and irritating human behaviour exhibited since AL 288-1 walked the earth.

HOLA4411
Just now, hotblack42 said:

Disclosure: I voted Leave, but only on balance.  There are arguments for and against.

The determination in some quarters to attach all ills to Brexit really is tragic.
My Hamster's looking a bit peaky..  I wonder if its because...?

For a long while, the media droning on about Brexit in general seemed to be the most boring thing that's ever happened, but its not.

Staunch remainers bleating on about what a stupid idea Brexit is, desperately and tenuously linking it to everything and anything negative,  whilst contributing absolutely nothing to preparations is the most tedious and irritating human behaviour exhibited since AL 288-1 walked the earth.

What are the arguments for Brexit? How is it going to make life better for the man in the street?

Here's a list of negative things SO FAR from a month ago. Tell me which ones ARE NOT linked to Brexit.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1087666286648283136.html?

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, Lurkerbelow said:

Oh come off it.   We know conservative MP's lie all the time.  Especially over brexit.   It comes to them as easily as breathing.  So why do you take any of their words at face value?

And I've already posted a link on the issue.  The EU-JPN trade deal happened because of brexit, and without that Honda would NOT be leaving.  

So as I've already said stop coming up with excuses for what you've brought about, and for once in this whole miserable saga accept responsibility.

Leavers have to believe whatever the Tories tell them. If they don't, their world collapses.

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, Lurkerbelow said:

They lie some of the time but so do many people. As to lying especially over Brexit you know far more than I do. The good thing about Remainers is they know so much.

As to taking their words at face value don't forget I'm stupid and gullible; that's why I voted Leave.

I reserve judgement on this I think there is more to it, but Brexit was almost certainly a factor.

HOLA4414
Guest TheBlueCat

All the reasons why the Honda move is nothing to do with Brexit:

- Honda say it isn't. There's no value to them in denying it if that were the case, could be quite convenient in fact.

- The EU is removing tariffs on cars imported from Japan so Honda doesn't need to run factories in the EU anymore (once Swindon is shut they will have no car assembly in Europe).

- They're refocussing on electric vehicles and closing other factories too - https://www.auto123.com/en/news/honda-closing-factory-focus-electric/64028/

Oh, and sales for them in Europe since 1990 (in 1000s):

1179848897_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1809-58-41.png.8e878a0e26bf46d36b9a18b60d0089a1.png

Not that any of these facts will get in the way for our resident die-hard remainers of course.

HOLA4415
18 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

This was a failure of diplomacy. I had assumed that all this type of letter would be vetted for precisely this before it was sent. You can say things to an American or a Dutchman that you would be ill advised to say to a Japanese.

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

- Honda say it isn't. There's no value to them in denying it if that were the case, could be quite convenient in fact.

- The EU is removing tariffs on cars imported from Japan so Honda doesn't need to run factories in the EU anymore (once Swindon is shut they will have no car assembly in Europe).

- They're refocussing on electric vehicles and closing other factories too - https://www.auto123.com/en/news/honda-closing-factory-focus-electric/64028/

1179848897_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1809-58-41.png.8e878a0e26bf46d36b9a18b60d0089a1.png

Not that any of these facts will get in the way for our resident die-hard remainers of course.

Remember the syllogism:

All bad things are due to Brexit

Honda's closure is a bad thing

Therefore it's due to Brexit.

HOLA4417
13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

This seems to me to be an accurate assessment.

The accelerated timing of the EU-Japan deal, along with aviation emmissions, seems well coordinated for maximum instability for the UK. ?

Edited by GrizzlyDave

HOLA4418

The EU-Japan FTA removes non-tariff barriers, meaning that a car can enter into the EU without further checks...via the harmonisation of UNECE standards..

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-18-6784_en.htm

Motor vehicles – the agreement ensures that both Japan and the EU will fully align themselves to the same international standards on product safety and the protection of the environment, meaning that European cars will be subject to the same requirements in the EU and Japan, and will not need to be tested and certified again when exported to Japan. With Japan now committing itself to international car standards, EU exports of cars to Japan will become significantly simpler. This also paves the way for even stronger cooperation between the EU and Japan in international standard setting fora.

It includes an accelerated dispute settlement between the two sides specifically for motor vehicles, similar to the one agreed under the EU-South Korea trade agreement. It also includes a safeguard and a clause allowing the EU to reintroduce tariffs in the event that Japan would (re)introduce non-tariff barriers to EU exports of vehicles. The agreement will also mean that hydrogen-fuelled cars that approved in the EU can be exported to Japan without further alterations.

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4419
34 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

All they ever come up with are excuses. When will they start telling about these promised unicorn uplands? 3100+ pages and still not one upside... but loads of obfuscation, denial and excuses. 

Indeed.   Just look at this thread.   An endless flow of excuses from the brexiteers.   Not one of them.  Not a single one will accept responsibility for what we all full well know is their fault including themselves.   All I can do is shake my head in total abject disgust at these *******.

HOLA4420

Leave voters seem adamant that nothing that has happened since the vote is related to the vote :D

Not sure how it’s possible that NO EVENT since the life changing, once in a generation referendum has been in any way related to the massive country-splitting choice.

Are there ANY leave voters here willing to list a single political or economic news story since the ref that they’d attribute to it?

Or are all the chickens heads firmly agrounded? ;)

HOLA4421
7 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Leave voters seem adamant that nothing that has happened since the vote is related to the vote :D

Not sure how it’s possible that NO EVENT since the life changing, once in a generation referendum has been in any way related to the massive country-splitting choice.

Are there ANY leave voters here willing to list a single political or economic news story since the ref that they’d attribute to it?

Or are all the chickens heads firmly agrounded? ;)

I think Byron78 is the only one not with his head up Putins backside. 

HOLA4422
21 minutes ago, crouch said:

This was a failure of diplomacy. I had assumed that all this type of letter would be vetted for precisely this before it was sent. You can say things to an American or a Dutchman that you would be ill advised to say to a Japanese.

Especially if he's carrying a sword.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425