House Price Crash Forum

Bhs Denies Speculation It Is Close To Collapse

HOLA441

The consortium that bought BHS from Philip Green for £1 last year is headed by Dominic Chappell.

Dominic Chappell has twice previously been declared bankrupt.

The Daily Mirror reported in April when David Cameron's offshore interests were being revealed, that Dominic Chappell had been linked to an offshore trust in Panama. Clarberry Investments was set up last year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bhs-tycoon-dominic-chappell-linked-7725363

Edited by Errol

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

This sort of thing is going to add to the already growing mood to change the way debt is treated relative to equity.

Would Green have got away with such financial shenanigans if it was shareholders' money rather than debt capital?

Talk to BT/BA pensioners in ten years.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm under 30 and I've always thought BHS is pricey and outdated. Reminds me of Dunem Mills. Can't say I've ever bought anything there in my whole life. A boomer at work said they 'really like it for sweaters'.

When you reach 40 your brain changes and you start considering Dunelm mIll as a suitable activity for a Sunday afternoon. Surely you covered this at school?

HOLA446

When you reach 40 your brain changes and you start considering Dunelm mIll as a suitable activity for a Sunday afternoon. Surely you covered this at school?

.....did you not hear that quality bedding is one of the few luxuries left where value can still be added.....poor sleeping pattern, poor working pattern. ;)

HOLA447
HOLA448

How much is Phillip Green's personal loss?

Nothing only gains, he bought BHS with Pension fund 5 million surplus according to reports now its in deficit by 571m and he got knighted for services to retail, Only in the UK :(

Edited by papag

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

FT are running a headline about the 'Demonisation of Phillip Green' http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3b390862-0ad9-11e6-9456-444ab5211a2f.html

So knock it off you bullies. Don't kick a man when he's down (in Monaco, on a superyacht)...

Ridiculous (almost as if it was sponsored by the man himself!) article but most comments are consistent in disagreeing with it. I really hope PPF goes after him

HOLA4414

Seems crazy that Taxpayers should be covering the pension fund of a failed company, at the same time as knighting the person who helped fail it.

Appreciate that it's not fair for BHS Pensioners to pay the price when they probably worked hard for their pensions, but surely its equally unfair to ask everyone else to pay, particularly if we are as broke as our government claims we are.

Haven't governments of various flavours raided these pension pots for taxes? I suspect they've extracted far more from Brown's tax raid on pension pots than they've ever had to pay out to failed pension schemes.

Also if you don't look after company pensions even more people will start ploughing their money into property as their "pension".

HOLA4415

Haven't governments of various flavours raided these pension pots for taxes? I suspect they've extracted far more from Brown's tax raid on pension pots than they've ever had to pay out to failed pension schemes.

Also if you don't look after company pensions even more people will start ploughing their money into property as their "pension".

Safe to say that the proceeds of such pension raids are long gone.

HOLA4416

Found some of the deficit. There, that wasnt too difficult was it

Buy company, load with debt, pay your wife oodles in dividends, stash it in tax haven, buy an obscene yacht with pensioners savings. Isnt that what knight of the realm do?

3248A71E00000578-3510128-image-m-62_1458

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest eight

There was no evidence of administration in BHS today. No giveaway bargains or anything to convert stock into cash or anything.

Same happened with Brantano. My local one brought in even more stock at the same prices.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425