House Price Crash Forum

When Was The Last Time You Used Rightmove ?

HOLA441

I gave up searching for houses on rightmove 2 weeks ago now.

The asking prices were shooting up and it was getting ridiculous, the chances of finding anyone to sell now at a sane price looks to have passed for now, so I just gave up.

How many others have house hunt apathy ?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I have my Search for rentals that I look at every couple of days. I love it when all too often asking prices are reduced.

Anyone who thinks the housing market is on solid ground bcos capital values are rising, due entirely to HTB, is in cloud cuckoo land.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Occasionally dip into rentals to see if there's anything around here, but nicer and/or cheaper. It's s-l-o-w-l-y improving (I think - at least the only price changes I see are reductions), but I don't feel inclined to check it every day or even every week.

HOLA448

I look on when I have an alert come through, usually daily. Houses where I am renting are reasonably priced vs build cost - perhaps 30k to 40k overpriced compared to building on a plot of about 50k (which don't exist).

The problem I find is that the stock coming on to the market is either newish with out parking, garage and tiny garden or is very old and deteriorated. Luckily the place we are renting is an 70's refurb so the best of both worlds.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

After looking to buy for about 5 years while living with the parents, I decided to scrap the idea and rent with my girlfriend instead. 2 months into our first AST in a nicer place I could ever afford to buy, great landlord, walking distance to work and next to a tube station and life could not be better. Were sticking away a few quid a month (on top of my savings) and while it probably won't work out between us long term as I want to leave the UK, I couldn't be more happy.

Rightmove was a big part of my life over the last five years. It's nice to not have to visit that or any of the damp stained shoe boxes ever again. I just don't care about buying anymore and its a huge weight off my shoulders.

HOLA4411

About a year ago. I don't even bother to look at the "new properties in your area" e-mails now.

I now spend my time looking for 'the' second hand campervan - if I ever have a home it is likely to be one of those.

Actually, I must look to see if you can get long-term campervan rental.

HOLA4412

Used it for the first time in about three years yesterday to check on the number of sales in my area since records began. Looks like there are about half the number of sales pre-2008, and then when I did a search within half a mile of where I live, just two properties available between £360K and £1.2m in a fairly densely populated part of outer London.

From what I read, no sellers. The way things are going the only way to get a house will be to inherit one.

HOLA4413

Interesting thread - I've also been using RM a lot less. I trawled it daily before the new year, spotting the odd new property that was only significantly over-priced rather than ludicrously so. Now they're all ridiculous and I am checking the site much less frequently.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I gave up searching for houses on rightmove 2 weeks ago now.

The asking prices were shooting up and it was getting ridiculous, the chances of finding anyone to sell now at a sane price looks to have passed for now, so I just gave up.

How many others have house hunt apathy ?

I search Rightmove (Wales, Cornwall, more affordable parts of Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire) every day mainly to put properties in my saved folder and wait for people to be desperate enough to sell. Prices have gone LOOPY the past few months, most properties are peak +, yet also there are still a lot of houses that were around last year are still sitting there and dropping and dropping in price. Almost bought a few weeks back, house down £40,000 from last year and I liked the house but it still wasn't quite big enough for us (no loft space and we need loft space) and also the property was still overpriced and buying now is something of a gamble, death throws comes to mind....

HOLA4418

A lot less lately than I have in the past. Mainly because we're not looking to buy anymore and feel much better about renting longer term. (Or until houses become affordable)

I was checking every day from about two months Jan/Feb time and house prices have just gone up and up. Which means I'm no longer interested in buying.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I use it as a barometer of what is going on.

Usually come away feeling miserable that places I wouldn't put the dogs in are 200K more than I could afford even if I stretched.

Seen a lot from 2 or 3 years ago come back on in last few weeks - all 20%+ higher than last time they didn't sell.

One notable example was 650K last sold for 150K in 2003 - and that didn't look particularly out of place. Anything under 500K now seems to have some impairment (borders a refuse dump, sub station in garden, 2 bedroom etc.)

HOLA4421

I use it as a barometer of what is going on.

Usually come away feeling miserable that places I wouldn't put the dogs in are 200K more than I could afford even if I stretched.

Seen a lot from 2 or 3 years ago come back on in last few weeks - all 20%+ higher than last time they didn't sell.

One notable example was 650K last sold for 150K in 2003 - and that didn't look particularly out of place. Anything under 500K now seems to have some impairment (borders a refuse dump, sub station in garden, 2 bedroom etc.)

Depressing if you live in London, slightly reassuring in the north seeing prices short of 2007 and still with no takers.

HOLA4422

sounds like everyone's in the same place...given up till the collapse recommences.

lookiing at the graph on the front page now shows two bounces...one when interest rates fell and q.e. started and one when fls and jhtb started...they can try but nothing other than government backed cheap loans and deposits are holding this bubble up....

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4423

Can't help but look almost every day. Searching houses For sale and To Rent, in a number of areas.

Simply as a reading into the market. Asking prices for the sort of house/area I would like buy make me dizzy and feeling faint. Seems like such houses are coming offer mad-price offers from occasional downsizers who've managed to sell, wannabee landlords or landlords adding more to their portfolios / investorz and yield chasers and ESPECIALLY flippers.... sick and tired of seeing flippers doing up houses and them come back to market, and younger FTBs/1st time upsizers. And market inventory is at lows.

I'm looking for suggestions of asking price weakness for houses above. £400K+, and wondering if they will run out of buyers in that range, leading to some price cascade. And near daily search because there may be just an opportunity that gets over-looked. There was a house I would have bought in 2012, if I could turn back time. Inheritor reduced it £40K over course of a year, but in the end accepted an even lower offer, coming out at £60K less than when it came to market. Still on the expensive side for what it was, but manageable. Since HTB2, been no sign of any such opportunities. At least HTB1 sucked in lot of buyers who less likely to be competing with me in secondary market.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4424

Depressing if you live in London, slightly reassuring in the north seeing prices short of 2007 and still with no takers.

This.

My wife has blackmailed me into buying a flat in Newcastle (long story summarised as: We moved to Singapore, double the money/a quarter of the tax. This is her share of the bargain.)

Some of the units I've been looking at recently are still 20/30% below their launch prices 10 years ago. Some returns!

:P

Same flats in London would be 5 times the prices. And I think the NCL ones are still ******ing expensive!

edited for spelling

Edited by stuckmojo

HOLA4425

I search a couple of towns every week. I use the listings in last 7 days.

There's has been a ratchet up of activity this year, more than last year.

However, there are still very few sales i.e. housing activity in the North is mainly taking photos, putting signs up, then taking signs down.

I would guess both twons cannot be far off having 50% of the housing stock up for sale in the last 5 years.