House Price Crash Forum

Boris Johnson's New Definition Of Affordable Housing

HOLA441

Question (from Russell Brand) "Who are they affordable for?"

Answer from (Boris Johnson) :

"The answer is to build more homes"

"There are..there are.. there are.. normal there at about er {mumble}17 or 18 % of them that

of newest ones are er council {mumble} at er normal social housing and and and we have are a huge number

that are part-BUY part-RENT and if you look at what we have done over the last 4 years it is a record number."

HOLA442

Boris and Tessa Jowell both getting hyper excited about shared-ownership as the brilliant answer to housing costs towards the end of the show. :angry:

HOLA443

"There are..there are.. there are.. normal there at about er {mumble}17 or 18 % of them that

of newest ones are er council {mumble} at er normal social housing and and and we have are a huge number

that are part-BUY part-RENT and if you look at what we have done over the last 4 years it is a record number."

Well there are so many 'affordable housing' schemes available that I am not surprised the Mayor is confused. Affordable rent is now up to 80% of market rents - so hardly 'affordable' as in say Camden a family needs earnings of £70,000 just to afford the rent on a two bed flat now (i.e. double average earnings).

help to buy

right to buy

home buy

first steps

share equity

rent to buy

rent to save

intermediate rent

share to buy

Armed Forces Home Ownership Scheme

and old fashioned council housing

You can find lots of examples on the first steps website for London (www.firststeps.org). Like this gems - which looks like a storage cupboard in a block in SW1. £136,000 for a 40% share! So you could get a broom cupboard in Pimlico for £1,100 a month!

https://www.sharetobuy.com/london/sharedownershippropertydetails?id=12708

HOLA444

Boris may as well have rambled on about the mating season for giraffes, nothing he said made any sense because he had no idea what he was talking about. The words "affordable housing" really grate on me because Russell was right "who are they affordable for?" I re-wound to a minute or so earlier to hear what Russell had to say which was basically "The government aren't here to serve you, they don't care about you, they care about themselves, so yes, people today had better get used to renting".

HOLA445

Well there are so many 'affordable housing' schemes available that I am not surprised the Mayor is confused. Affordable rent is now up to 80% of market rents - so hardly 'affordable' as in say Camden a family needs earnings of £70,000 just to afford the rent on a two bed flat now (i.e. double average earnings).

help to buy

right to buy

home buy

first steps

share equity

rent to buy

rent to save

intermediate rent

share to buy

Armed Forces Home Ownership Scheme

and old fashioned council housing

You can find lots of examples on the first steps website for London (www.firststeps.org). Like this gems - which looks like a storage cupboard in a block in SW1. £136,000 for a 40% share! So you could get a broom cupboard in Pimlico for £1,100 a month!

https://www.sharetob...etails?id=12708

In my opinion "shared ownership" is basically the legalisation of the "key money" scams which were outlawed on residential tenancies a while ago. You are basically "buying" the right to a secure tenancy.

Love the £150 a month "service charge" for the above property. My council rent is £270 pcm for a similar property in West Yorkshire (actually a lot larger as it is at least built to Parker Morris standards).

Edited by Secure Tenant

HOLA446
HOLA447

Boris and Tessa Jowell both getting hyper excited about shared-ownership as the brilliant answer to housing costs towards the end of the show. :angry:

Hard enough to find the money to buy one never mind part buy and part rent.....all the debt, with the responsibility on top of the immobility.....how wonderful to be stuck with that. ;)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

he is a buffoon.

houses should be affordable at 3 times single salary or 2.5 times joint salary with 95% mortgages available to those who have earnings growth potential (FTBs), interest rates should be circa 5%. why do they witter on at helping those who cannot afford the unaffordable homes (most of them), when all their 'help' does is push prices up still further.

**sigh**

oh and stop making BTL scum have it so easy and allow the potential homebuyers a decent interest rate so they can save their deposits

HOLA4411

Boris may as well have rambled on about the mating season for giraffes, nothing he said made any sense because he had no idea what he was talking about. The words "affordable housing" really grate on me because Russell was right "who are they affordable for?" I re-wound to a minute or so earlier to hear what Russell had to say which was basically "The government aren't here to serve you, they don't care about you, they care about themselves, so yes, people today had better get used to renting".

It shows how bad things are when in a group of politicians all from different parties, and Russell Brand, it is the comedian who speaks the most sense.

HOLA4412

It shows how bad things are when in a group of politicians all from different parties, and Russell Brand, it is the comedian who speaks the most sense.

...could it be RB doesn't have a vested interest......politicians are only interested in those who are supporting them...plebs without money, influence or power don't count. :unsure:

Edited by winkie

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

...could it be RB doesn't have a vested interest......politicians are only interested in those who are supporting them...plebs without money, influence or power don't count. :unsure:

Unfortunately the plebs have votes and the thing that politicians want more than anything is votes. Annoy the plebs too much and you will find yourself out of power.

HOLA4415

Unfortunately the plebs have votes and the thing that politicians want more than anything is votes. Annoy the plebs too much and you will find yourself out of power.

When the foreign money starts drying up, they will then turn their attention to the plebs to try and pacify them and win them over with extra portions of convincing words of hope and promises. ;)

HOLA4416

Johnson's answer was so poor the audience laughed. He will be concerned that, on this occasion, the public were laughing AT him rather than WITH him. Johnson is generally popular with younger voters but he has to decide if he is going to back their interests. On this performance London's under-35 vote will soon dismiss him as just like the rest of them.

HOLA4417

It was hilarious watching that the other night, Boris buckled hard. Any damage to the cult of bojo is most welcome.

Ed davey, saying house builders cant be forced to build houses as houses are assets and they dont want cheap assets for sale. Nob.

Tessa jowell, " we need more shared ownership" oh come on! in the future they will try and peddle intergenerational mortgages for a 10% share of a bedsit. And they still will not understand.

Russel brand needs to get out of comedy and onto QT more often.

HOLA4418

Russel brand needs to get out of comedy and onto QT more often.

Almost anyone outside politics and their close associates in the media is a welcome addition to the panel. In addition to Starkey (who's always good value), I remember being impressed by Will Young (singer) and Brian Moore (rugby commentator). Musicians Jarvis Cocker and Alex James were a waste of space so it's not a perfect system. However, if a non-politician makes an idiot of themselves they're not invited back. Shame the same isn't true for the politicians too.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I really despaired at his performance.

London is not only the capital but probably the Housing Crisis Capital of the UK and perhaps beyond - and that was the Mayor of London ?

I am at the point where I do not really care which party gets into power - I just want a party that starts from the premise of having a clue. I'm used to politicians that have a grasp of policy but no grasp of analysis, if you get to the stage you don't even have a grasp of policy then whats the point of you ? Labour has thrown a few crumbs in this respect recently, at least they appear to be genuinely thinking about the problem - not that I have any confidence they will actually do anything about it as Jowells bland performance testified.

George Osbourne may have thrown his lot in with the House Builders, under the wildly optimistic premise that benefits will trickle down to the rest of us but at least we know where his cretinous policy came from. But if this Buffoon Johnson is conflicted between attracting foreign investment and housing 8m odd voters, or perhaps the interests of OO or BTL, well, you can't even start a coherent debate if that is your grasp of the situation.

HOLA4421

Shared ownership - what a load of b*ll*cks! :angry:

It would be better if Housing Associations just sold these as 'just pay the mortgage on the 50% or 75%' and that's all. No leasehold charges or an extra £2-300 rent a month on the unsold portion. Paying the rent on the HA owned portion of the house and associated service charges is what is keeping these homes from being affordable and preventing SO tenants/owners from 'staircasing'.

HOLA4422

I'm used to politicians that have a grasp of policy but no grasp of analysis, if you get to the stage you don't even have a grasp of policy then whats the point of you ?

The general consensus is that BJ is a lot cannier and a lot more unpleasant than he lets on. What BJ wants and what BJ is willing to 'fess up to may not be exactly the same. Bumbling buffoon is a useful persona, but he may have pushed it too far in this instance (but probably still better for him than a clear statement of intent).

Bottom line, BJ seems to quite like bankers and HPI.

HOLA4423

https://www.sharetobuy.com/london/sharedownershippropertydetails?id=12708

That's interesting. When I first moved to London in the early 1980's I bought a similar sized flat in SW1, actually mine was on St George's Drive, just a stone's throw from Eaton Square, so a nicer part of Pimlico.

But the significant thing is I sold a terraced house in Sheffield and paid exactly the same price for the tiny SW1 flat. At the time everyone thought London prices were crazy, but the point is you could still make the move if you were prepared to drop a bedroom or two. Now it's just impossible, and with London prices flat or rising, and Sheffield prices falling that gap is becoming even more insurmountable.

I think it's got to the point where any discussion about "UK House Prices" is pretty much hollow, there's a London/South East market and there's the rest. And the two just don't bear much resemblance to each other.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425