Photo
- - - - -

When Will Property Prices Start Rising Again?

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 jfk

jfk

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Another mumsnet classic...

Link: here

So next week we are putting our house back on the market for the third time in the last 18 months, fingers crossed. We bought this house back in 2005, but my husband now works 30 miles from where we now live and we would prefer to live near or around the Market Harborough area, we are now in Cambridgeshire.

On both occasions when we put the house of the market we were surprised at how low the Estate Agent valuations were, but we were still slightly up on what we paid for it, which is really all we want or need to move.

But still we have not yet had an offer at the price we paid, I am slightly peeved off at the Estate Agents for being lazy, but I sure it is not all their fault as I know the market is pretty awfull right now.

Can someone please give me a little hope that the housing market is going to pick up this

:)

#2 Diver Dan

Diver Dan

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Property market picking up != rising prices.
That's it, I'm getting a wall-safe.

I'd be happy if I were right but I'll settle for being Less Wrong

#3 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yes we are serious sellers, but we are not going to give it away.

#4 The Knimbies who say no

The Knimbies who say no

HPC Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hi Pootles, I have looked on nethousprices and the last one that sold similar to mine was in 2008 was roughly the price we want now. You would have thought that in four years since that one sold prices would have risen. As for the Estate Agent, loads of little things basically, all they have really done is shop window and a few times in the local rag, you just get the feeling that they are not interested unless we drop 20% and make it an easy sell for them.

Hi Hormonal, Yes we are serious sellers, but we are not going to give it away.

Some have suggested taking a loss and renting, again similar reasons to above(why I will not become a landlord). I know people that rent, and it makes me go cold. I know it is wrong but renting has a temporary feel to it, like staying in a hotel but worse,

So many are suggesting prices could fall more than they already have, now that has made me feel even worse, I wish I had not asked the question now.
I really cannot see prices falling anymore though, if that was going to happen and it would have happened by now

:rolleyes:

Look out Dave, you will soon be handing the keys back mate.

The knimbies who say "No" demand..... a sacrifice!
Arthur: Knimbies of No, we are but simple hardworking families who seek affordable housing on the scrubland beyond these woods.
Knimbies of No: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!
Bedevere: Please stop opposing our reasonable demands!
Knimby of No: We shall say "No" to you... if you do not appease us.
Arthur: Well what is it you want?
Knimby of No: We will allow you to build your precious high density shoeboxes, so long as you do not move so much as....

(pregnant pause)

A SHRUBBERY!!!!

#5 Eddie_George

Eddie_George

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Assuming it's an extra 50 mile round trip trip to Market Harborough from where they're living, they're paying at least around 1500 extra in petrol/diesel per year and 2500 extra miles on the clock.

In addition, house prices are probably much cheaper than in Cambridgeshire.

#6 jfk

jfk

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Yup all the classic signs of the delusional seller - putting it back on the market at stupid high price (this IS cambridge after all), not giving it away (the line that made me LOL) etc etc.

In fact Mrs JFK called me up from work to tell me about this thread, it's a classic.

#7 Ali Kebab Chief Negotiator

Ali Kebab Chief Negotiator

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

An 100% idiot, will probably go on to moan that her spawn cannot afford a house and wonder why. She will not appreciate there is little retail lending, or rather appetite for knife catching.

#8 maffo in oxford

maffo in oxford

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Someone tell her that if her house is 'worth' 200K & a lovely big mansion down the road is 2 million; if both places fall in equal proportion to 20k & 200k then she'd only have to pay 180k to buy the big place, not 1.8 million as before.

Presuming she was lucky enough to own outright of course. I expect she has a mortgage so the extra mortgage to move up would be more than 180K and she'd be in deep NegEquity.

Even so, it would still be cheaper to buy a better & bigger home.

#9 chronyx

chronyx

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

We NEED an HPC account on there, for the trollololololols

#10 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

It would be nice to think it would be used for measured and calm explanations as to what's going on. It would be nice...
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#11 jfk

jfk

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

janethewitch Thu 10-Jan-13 14:57:50

Thanks for some of the advice guys, but some of you have no sympathy for the millions who did buy in the 2000's and through no fault of their own are now stuck, I only wanted a family home.
Too want prices to fall is just a horrible thing to hope for, and quite selfish.

pure comedy gold

#12 jfk

jfk

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm having a great laugh reading this mumsnet thread

janethewitch Thu 10-Jan-13 15:07:38

I can understand how hard it is for FTB's, but wanting lower prices will not solve the problem. Agreed property prices are probably a little too expensive, but for those that have paid those expensive prices we are now in a postion where we have to hold on. That is probably why the market is stuck right now, sellers cannot sell and buyers canot buy, but from my own point of view I will not be in a postion to sell untill I get what I want, and I am sure it is the same with millions of others.

... be a long time waiting then Mrs. Delusional Seller

#13 rantnrave

rantnrave

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

There is an HPC fifth column that clandestinely operates there.

Am just wondering if Miss Madam / Yellow Wellies is around. She has done a sterling job with letting folk over there know the reality fo the market.

#14 Ungeared

Ungeared

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • About Me:Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

(((((((hugs)))))))) :rolleyes:
The unrest in London is a form of hooliganism by losers who are living in a society which no longer has anything left to offer losers

#15 Reck B

Reck B

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

An 100% idiot

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Reck B, 11 January 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Help to Buy, as described by Albert Edwards of French bank Societe Generale;

"I believe it truly is a moronic policy that stands head and shoulders above most of the stupid economic policies I have seen implemented during my 30 years in this business."

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users