House Price Crash Forum

72,000 civil service job cuts will pay for £75bn in defence, says Grant Shapps

HOLA441

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/civil-service-job-cuts-uk-defence-grant-shapps-b2533855.html

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said it was “reasonable” to cut 72,000 civil service jobs to fund Rishi Sunak’s pledge to boost defence spending to 2.5 percent of gross domestic product by 2030.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast today (24 April), Mr Shapps said: “That actually will take the civil service back to where it was before Covid, so I think that is a very reasonable approach.

“We think it is important we fund the front line. It comes before everything else and if we don’t defend the nation, then everything else becomes slightly less of an issue".

HOLA442
32 minutes ago, fellow said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/civil-service-job-cuts-uk-defence-grant-shapps-b2533855.html

Around 50,000 of those extra civil servants are required to carry out Brexit related functions. 

The Tories know they are going to lose the next election so are free to make all sorts of unfunded promises.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
14 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I don't like this govt but I am behind them in increasing defence funding one way or another 

Indeed defence should be out top priority especially in these uncertain times.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
9 hours ago, Maghull Mike said:

They just got mine...........

Are you leaving the Civil service, I know you said you wanted to look after your mother and they would not let you WFH

HOLA4410
10 hours ago, Si1 said:

This I believe is true 

And corruption in the past. The U.K. army ended up with a load of crap assault rifles a few years ago after an MOD official had been taking back handers. Should have got life without parole and all assets seized

HOLA4411
9 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

And corruption in the past. The U.K. army ended up with a load of crap assault rifles a few years ago after an MOD official had been taking back handers. Should have got life without parole and all assets seized

I did hear about the crap rifles did not know about the corruption 

HOLA4412
57 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Are you leaving the Civil service, I know you said you wanted to look after your mother and they would not let you WFH

After my Father died i moved back to the house to look after Mum, i also went part time or reduced hours. a 97 mile travel each day was pretty much untenable travel cost wise but i stuck with it. Covid was an eye opener, ZERO travel!

For 14 months WFH, a game changer....................i been "On Loan" to another dept, they were keen to hang on to me but "The Promotion factory" demanded my return...........i did hunt round for another WFH posting & i had a very good HO who did everything to help me, but it became too much.

The management did bugger all to help, no mangered move......i think i upset them ref the time i upset Theresa May

HOLA4413
16 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

I've heard similar about the US army. And then Russia and China are on another scale. That doesn't make it ok of course.

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Maghull Mike said:

After my Father died i moved back to the house to look after Mum, i also went part time or reduced hours. a 97 mile travel each day was pretty much untenable travel cost wise but i stuck with it. Covid was an eye opener, ZERO travel!

For 14 months WFH, a game changer....................i been "On Loan" to another dept, they were keen to hang on to me but "The Promotion factory" demanded my return...........i did hunt round for another WFH posting & i had a very good HO who did everything to help me, but it became too much.

The management did bugger all to help, no mangered move......i think i upset them ref the time i upset Theresa May

OK, you have got the curiosity of HPC how did you upset Theresa May?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

A little while ago I finished reading The verdict of peace : Britain between her yesterday and the future by Correlli Barnett.  It's a history of Britain from the outbreak of the Korean War to the Suez crisis.  Much of it is about the productive capacity of the British economy and the Exchequer struggling with Cold War rearmament, the New Jerusalem of the NHS and the welfare state, and trying to build a few houses.  History may not repeat, but it does rhyme!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Pathetic.

Should be cutting 200,000 public sector jobs and halving defence spending.

Sell off most MOD land for housing.

Much bigger areas that need attention than defence.

UK is a joke. Like some punch drunk old boxer thinks he's still a bit tasty.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
3 minutes ago, EmmaRoyds said:

So that's 72,000 people who won't be able to contribute to their rent/mortgage.

What's the betting that the increase in spending on defence involves one of his father in laws companies??

Shapps or Sunak?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
4 hours ago, Maghull Mike said:

Perhaps one day, she didn't like "Russia Today" on our TV sets :)

438098873_864140719089868_43695358153325