House Price Crash Forum

I’m a mortgage broker – my middle-class clients are in a debt spiral and can’t afford their lives

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Nah, a lot of them will just get bailed out or expect to get bailed out with their debt written off.

I don't know, these are soft middle class types, not rough families living on council estates used to trouble. Money troubles often lead to family break ups, I've seen it happen.

Edited by nero120

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 minute ago, nero120 said:

I don't know, these are soft middle class types, not rough families living on council estates used to trouble. Money troubles break families up, I've seen it happen.

I don’t doubt that, but last time around an IVA was a way out for many. I bet they’ll be on the increase, if indeed they can still be had..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
13 minutes ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

I used to work for a credit card company. Believe me, you have to be in very, very deep do-do (i.e. essentially bankrupt without a penny to your name) before they will write-off your debt.

Ricki wrote of billions of of the country's money om covid loans at the drop of the hat. People will now expect the same

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

Ricki wrote of billions of of the country's money om covid loans at the drop of the hat. People will now expect the same

Loans he had no intention of ever chasing, setting a precedent, just goes to show how much people's hard earned money is now worth.....then you wonder.;)

HOLA448
2 hours ago, msi said:

F*** 'em.

You were warned, you didn't listen to wrapped up in your Guardianista / Gbeebies world view thinking 'others' would pay the bill you run up.

I'm out of patience.

Has Lee Anderson hacked your account?

HOLA449

BoE will lower rates in an attempt to save the indebted. The US wont lower rates as their economy is motoring along in top gear. The pound will utterly collapse and imports will be hugely inflationary. The UK becomes Argentina (without the natural resources). The IMF comes to the rescue but takes one look at the books and just laughs and says "no point, auction it all off"

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

BoE will lower rates in an attempt to save the indebted. The US wont lower rates as their economy is motoring along in top gear. The pound will utterly collapse and imports will be hugely inflationary. The UK becomes Argentina (without the natural resources). The IMF comes to the rescue but takes one look at the books and just laughs and says "no point, auction it all off"

And in reality...

...the BoE will drop rates due to deflation being obvious even to them. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
32 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

Lol I'm sure any country's economy would be motoring along if they were running deficits to the tune of $trillions! 🤡

BoE will not lower rates unless inflation comes down. They will not risk a currency/sovereign debt crisis to bail out pleb debt slaves.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, whitemice said:

Being born into financial security gives them a different outlook on risk. We spend like poor people, while they spend like rich people, regardless of our wealth.

Have discussed people in this scenario at length with friends (all finance backgrounds but from fairly normal, lower middle class families). 

People from a welathy background can afford to take much bigger risks that we can so they also put themselves in a situation where they can reap much bigger rewards. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
54 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

Have discussed people in this scenario at length with friends (all finance backgrounds but from fairly normal, lower middle class families). 

People from a welathy background can afford to take much bigger risks that we can so they also put themselves in a situation where they can reap much bigger rewards. 

Sort of. But the true wealthy just gave everything in the Rothschild Trust which is just a 65/35 fund. It's the multi generational tax efficiency that counts.

HOLA4418

The irony of this being written by a mortgage broker, one of the "professionals" who as caused many people's problems.

When I applied for a 3 x salary, 56% LTV mortgage back in 2011, the guy at the bank spent over an hour writing a (*rse covering ?) thesis on why he was recommending the product. Then he said he was knocking a year of the mortgage term saying "if there is any chance this isn't paid off by the time you are 65 I have to write another two pages justifying that". 
I wonder if Mr Mortgage Broker has records of why he allowed people to take out mortgages that wouldn't be paid off by 65 ?

Edited by TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack
typo

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
21 hours ago, msi said:

F*** 'em.

You were warned, you didn't listen to wrapped up in your Guardianista / Gbeebies world view thinking 'others' would pay the bill you run up.

I'm out of patience.

#blackpilled

Edited by burk

HOLA4421
19 hours ago, regprentice said:

He does say exactly that in the article

We see clients on £100k per annum servicing short-term debts to the tune of £2,000 every month. This does not include their mortgage or living costs, these are simply the minimum monthly payments they can make on their credit cards and loans. (For context, the average net monthly income across the UK is around £2,200pcm.)

Amateurs. Last time I ever spoke to my eldest brother he was humble bragging about his new Jag.

Although I have to admit I zoned out not because I don't like cars but because I couldn't take my eyes off the nearly 5 figure credit card bill pinned to the back of his kitchen door!

Outwardly looks successful inwardly he's fkd..........

HOLA4422
21 minutes ago, burk said:

Amateurs. Last time I ever spoke to my eldest brother he was humble bragging about his new Jag.

Although I have to admit I zoned out not because I don't like cars but because I couldn't take my eyes off the nearly 5 figure credit card bill pinned to the back of his kitchen door!

Outwardly looks successful inwardly he's fkd..........

Well, at least he pinned it rather than sticking his head in the sand and pretending it doesn’t exist I suppose.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, LetsBuild said:

Well, at least he pinned it rather than sticking his head in the sand and pretending it doesn’t exist I suppose.

There is that. But at 53 the amount of debt he carries is mindboggling. Bought his house for £275k in 2005 it's valued today at £450k and has a £270k mortgage.

#insane

HOLA4425

100k salary is not what people lower down the salary chain think it is . people are conditioned by the media that it’s some sort of fat cat salary where people are driving Porsches . All designed to help the government keep taxes high to pay for the dodgy covid PPE and other misappropriation they would rather you forgot about.

Actual take home is about 5.5k a month and lower if you’re making sensible pension contributions .
It certainly doesn’t cover private schools anymore. 
Once you’ve taken out rent in somewhere like London ie 2 k for a 2 bed flat plus transport costs . 
It’s still a lot of money but it doesn’t run to the same lifestyle it did 5 years ago.