House Price Crash Forum

I’m a mortgage broker – my middle-class clients are in a debt spiral and can’t afford their lives

HOLA441
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

image.png.d215a6583931d98db25597c445e2c1b3.png

Charlotte might need to get a new job...

Charlotte is probably happy to pay a 60% marginal tax and send the kids to a public school. Charlottes in France, Germany the US think Charlotte isn’t extremely good with numbers as they pay taxes and do not need to send their kids to a private school. 

Charlotte, rather than a new job, should demand her MP to put the bloody money she pays every month to the taxman in good use. 

HOLA448

About time to be honest, too many people have been living beyond their means for far too long and now the piper must be paid.

My household has a net income of over £200k but you certainly wouldn't know it to look at us and we definitely don't feel rich, we live within our means and have zero debt. Compare that to my friends who are also professional couples but mostly earn less and live a far more flamboyant lifestyle and who bought big houses. Though banks of mum and dad did some pretty heavy lifting (we had no such luck sadly) I never understood how they could live so recklessly, obviously using debt to fund holidays, new cars, nights out, etc. Not to mention the cost of multiple kids, whereas we chose to only have one.

Many are going to come unstuck over the coming years. I weep for the kids.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, nero120 said:

About time to be honest, too many people have been living beyond their means for far too long and now the piper must be paid.

My household has a net income of over £200k but you certainly wouldn't know it to look at us and we definitely don't feel rich, we live within our means and have zero debt. Compare that to my friends who are also professional couples but mostly earn less and live a far more flamboyant lifestyle and who bought big houses. Though banks of mum and dad did some pretty heavy lifting (we had no such luck sadly) I never understood how they could live so recklessly, obviously using debt to fund holidays, new cars, nights out, etc. Not to mention the cost of multiple kids, whereas we chose to only have one.

Many are going to come unstuck over the coming years. I weep for the kids.

Yes i second that. We have a combined income of £120k but we don't have a car, husband cycles to work to save on commuting fares, live in a small 2 bed flat (would always live in flats as we choose to live in London and this is how you keep the income mortgage multiple reasonable) and we have lots of city breaks but stay in ibis/premier inn type accommodation. 

My colleague like me is on the london median income and her husband is a data analyst in the nhs though he has some side hustles. But they are going to zanzibar at 3k per person, they are eating at salt bae's restaurant in turkey (he is the guy behind £800 gold encrusted steak), mortgage on a 3 bed london house (albeit in unfashionable area) , husband goes on holiday to dubai business class where they are going to hire yachts and cars, they drive everywhere, they only seem to go to fancy restaurants. 

I don't get it. Their house couldnt have cost less than our flat and we still have to economise in some ways to afford our lifestyles. I am not sure what they are economizing on. 

Edited by desiringonlychild

HOLA4415
12 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

Yes i second that. We have a combined income of £120k but we don't have a car, husband cycles to work to save on commuting fares, live in a small 2 bed flat (would always live in flats as we choose to live in London and this is how you keep the income mortgage multiple reasonable) and we have lots of city breaks but stay in ibis/premier inn type accommodation. 

My colleague like me is on the london median income and her husband is a data analyst in the nhs though he has some side hustles. But they are going to zanzibar at 3k per person, they are eating at salt bae's restaurant in turkey (he is the guy behind £800 gold encrusted steak), mortgage on a 3 bed london house (albeit in unfashionable area) , husband goes on holiday to dubai business class where they are going to hire yachts and cars, they drive everywhere, they only seem to go to fancy restaurants. 

I don't get it. Their house couldnt have cost less than our flat and we still have to economise in some ways to afford our lifestyles. I am not sure what they are economizing on. 

You don't sound jelly in the slightest... 😄

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
29 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

But they are going to zanzibar at 3k per person, they are eating at salt bae's restaurant in turkey (he is the guy behind £800 gold encrusted steak), mortgage on a 3 bed london house (albeit in unfashionable area) , husband goes on holiday to dubai business class where they are going to hire yachts and cars, they drive everywhere, they only seem to go to fancy restaurants. 

I've just bought a new kettle. It was £17. Reduced from £20.

Edited by DownwardSlopingPlateau
edit: It's blue.

HOLA4418

Nothing about an artificial luxury hotel, posh homes, fine dining, yachts, cruises, flash cars or clothing does anything for me.......simple things please, freedom, outside space, fresh air, natural food grown in sunshine, nature, peace....so much out there, do not need to spend a fortune impressing others with what is not impressive or actually particularly nice.;)

HOLA4419

The fiscal and monetary policy makers really have salted the earth since 2008 to the extent that in the aftermath of what we're currently heading into will end up in either totalitarianism or a violent revolution.

Either scenario leaves me feeling scared (in an existential way not day to day) and sad about humanities future.

I'd welcome anyone who can tell me I'm very wrong and stupid, I certainly do not want to be right.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Charlotte is probably happy to pay a 60% marginal tax and send the kids to a public school. Charlottes in France, Germany the US think Charlotte isn’t extremely good with numbers as they pay taxes and do not need to send their kids to a private school. 

We’re run by the false economy party. Slightly lower tax, but you have to fund your own education, healthcare, pension, private security…

2 hours ago, nero120 said:

Though banks of mum and dad did some pretty heavy lifting (we had no such luck sadly) I never understood how they could live so recklessly,

Being born into financial security gives them a different outlook on risk. We spend like poor people, while they spend like rich people, regardless of our wealth.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
47 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

Like my friends, they are likely spending everything they earn, plus more (via credit). They will come unstuck at some point, and cutting spending, giving up luxuries will be far harder for them, mounting marriage/family stress on top of serious money troubles.

Edited by nero120

HOLA4423
8 minutes ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

credit_cards.jpeg-1-1.jpg

He does say exactly that in the article

We see clients on £100k per annum servicing short-term debts to the tune of £2,000 every month. This does not include their mortgage or living costs, these are simply the minimum monthly payments they can make on their credit cards and loans. (For context, the average net monthly income across the UK is around £2,200pcm.)

HOLA4424
5 minutes ago, nero120 said:

Like my friends, they are likely spending everything they earn, plus more (via credit). They will come unstuck at some point, and cutting spending, giving up luxuries will be far harder for them, mounting marriage/family stress on top of serious money troubles.

Nah, a lot of them will just get bailed out or expect to get bailed out with their debt written off.

HOLA4425