House Price Crash Forum

Huge jump in young buyers on ‘marathon’ mortgages

70PC

HOLA441

"Young Londoners desperate to get on the housing market are signing up at an alarming pace to “marathon mortgages” that last at least 35 years, warn financial advisers.

High numbers of under 30s are buying houses or more usually flats with mortgage deals that extend beyond a typical retirement age of 67 in the latest sign that there is a huge gap between demand and supply in the capital’s property market.

While the longer-term deals cut monthly repayments, they also hugely increase the size of the total debt in ways some warn could later be seen as a mis-selling scandal encouraged by big banks.

Figures from Experian show that in 2020 11% of under 30’s in London who opened a mortgage did so with a term of 35 years plus.In 2023 this figure has risen to 27%."

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/marathon-mortgages-london-banks-house-prices-interest-rates-35-year-borrowing-property-loan-b1116745.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

How the hell did the regulator get away with approving these longer-duration mortgages deep into retirement. 

I raise this issue re: the bank I was working for a while back - because risk aspects seem to have been thrown out the winda... 

I mean... mortgage deep into retirement while we are now allowed to cash in our pensions early... removing the stability of income in retirement. 

The politicians and regulators are rotten to the core imo - they are acting in the short-term interest of banks... undermining the broader stability of the economy. Rant over. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, 70PC said:

"Young Londoners desperate to get on the housing market are signing up at an alarming pace to “marathon mortgages” that last at least 35 years, warn financial advisers.

High numbers of under 30s are buying houses or more usually flats with mortgage deals that extend beyond a typical retirement age of 67 in the latest sign that there is a huge gap between demand and supply in the capital’s property market.

While the longer-term deals cut monthly repayments, they also hugely increase the size of the total debt in ways some warn could later be seen as a mis-selling scandal encouraged by big banks.

Figures from Experian show that in 2020 11% of under 30’s in London who opened a mortgage did so with a term of 35 years plus.In 2023 this figure has risen to 27%."

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/marathon-mortgages-london-banks-house-prices-interest-rates-35-year-borrowing-property-loan-b1116745.html

This is a very dangerous trend.

I think if this gets to become normal I am leaving the country because at that point the economy becomes modern serfdom.

I can't say I am surprised by this, however.

HOLA445

I said this would happen. Certain posters said that these longer mortgages would remain rare. well they didn't. We need restrictions in credit and affordability. But we are seeing it going the other way from including dual incomes in mortgages to extending terms of mortgages and lending multiples.

HOLA446

Had a couple from London move in near us. They earn around £70k combined. One is a teacher (head of year) and the other is carpenter. Maxed out their mortgage, £265k mortgage with expected 30 years run time. They are already 40 so must have put expected retirement at 70! Deposit put down was £140k. All so they could have a 5 bed (and a loft room) despite not having children. Absolute madness.

The only thing going for them was the condition of the house. Immaculate.

HOLA447
8 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

This is a very dangerous trend.

I think if this gets to become normal I am leaving the country because at that point the economy becomes modern serfdom.

I can't say I am surprised by this, however.

Good luck, because they've got you stitched up by something wherever you go 👿

HOLA448
9 minutes ago, MerchantNavy said:

Had a couple from London move in near us. They earn around £70k combined. One is a teacher (head of year) and the other is carpenter. Maxed out their mortgage, £265k mortgage with expected 30 years run time. They are already 40 so must have put expected retirement at 70! Deposit put down was £140k. All so they could have a 5 bed (and a loft room) despite not having children. Absolute madness.

They must be banking on inflation and wage growth to wipe out their debt.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yep, 35 year plus mortgages are not ideal and most likely should be banned to control house price growth and to stop banks making a killing from hard working people.

Unfortunately most people are dumb in this country, so they will sign up to anything as long as it allows them to borrow more.

Inflation and wage growth will probably erode the debt over time....Also at some stage a lot of people will inherit money, which can be used to pay down the debt before 35 years.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
57 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

I said this would happen. Certain posters said that these longer mortgages would remain rare. well they didn't. We need restrictions in credit and affordability. But we are seeing it going the other way from including dual incomes in mortgages to extending terms of mortgages and lending multiples.

You mean the restrictions that were abolished by Thatcher?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
14 minutes ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

This. Not sure who thought 5 times income was a good idea.

Imagine if this was brought in... It would be political suicide, as house prices would plummet.

Sadly you have a battle between those who own everything and those who work for fiat to pay for it over a lifetime, they want the worker on the hamster wheel, why have one gear when you have have two with wife working, why not have a 3rd or 4th gear by making their strides artificially bigger with cheap fiat. 

HOLA4416

I have a long mortgage which I took out at 27 but I overpay £800-1000 every month so what's the difference between that and shortening the term? It gives me more flexibility if I needed to pay childcare fees (until age 3) rather than quit work. If I didn't work, my husband would have to earn £160k per month (student loan paid off next year) to earn our current household income. And me not working would make it even less likely we can pay off the mortgage within a decent time frame.

household earnings have increased from £75k to £120k in 4 years.

HOLA4417
29 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

If I didn't work, my husband would have to earn £160k per month...

You sound like a demanding wife!  £160k per month implies £1,920,000 annually.

2 hours ago, MerchantNavy said:

All so they could have a 5 bed (and a loft room) despite not having children. Absolute madness.

I really wanted a 2-bed house - but my requirements for non-bedrooms meant I couldn't meet that without at least 4 bedrooms.

Downstairs space, storage space, garages, overall location/local-environment and outdoor space can also be important to people without children.

I also think we're about to see substantial inflation.  When I supermarket shop, I monitor prices of things that would be essential basics for people without much disposable income.  I perceived prices had risen (like for like) on several of those items by about 20-30% in the past 3 months... it wasn't everything... one item had fallen by 15% - but the bias was upwards by a lot more than the overall CPI/RPI would suggest.   These things do not represent a significant proportion of my budget - but I think they will force wages to rise - and with that... so will medium-term inflation and expectations thereof.

I think interest rates may rise further - but... for your aspirational childless neighbours... assuming they can remain solvent... I think it will work out for them long-term.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, msi said:

We need restrictions in credit and affordability

You mean the restrictions that were abolished by Thatcher?

Can you be more specific?  I'm aware of various epic errors by Thatcher that were either mistakes or calculated malicious acts.  I see them more as the former than the latter - but I can understand why others would see it the other way.

I guess, with Thatcher, it depends upon whether you think Thatcher understood that a declared M3 expansion monetary target could not be expected to restrict the money supply - or not.  I'm inclined to believe that she did not have the necessary intellectual capacity (though she had many other extraordinary abilities.)  My opinion is coloured by an extraordinary experience I had - shortly after she was no-longer PM... when I was in the same room (in a school, with a lot of other people).  I didn't speak - though there was a narrow opportunity to do so - I only observed.  My lasting impression was that Thatcher was struggling with mental health problems... She did not have her $41t together.  It was obvious to me why she could no longer retain the PM role.

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, MerchantNavy said:

The teacher will be on the generous teachers pension scheme - so they will probably be able to carry on paying the mortgage into retirement. Assuming of course the government delivers on all these promised pension payments for all their unfunded public sector schemes across the NHS civil service, schools etc.

The carpenter - perhaps not.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
42 minutes ago, A.steve said:

You sound like a demanding wife!  £160k per month implies £1,920,000 annually.

I really wanted a 2-bed house - but my requirements for non-bedrooms meant I couldn't meet that without at least 4 bedrooms.

Downstairs space, storage space, garages, overall location/local-environment and outdoor space can also be important to people without children.

I also think we're about to see substantial inflation.  When I supermarket shop, I monitor prices of things that would be essential basics for people without much disposable income.  I perceived prices had risen (like for like) on several of those items by about 20-30% in the past 3 months... it wasn't everything... one item had fallen by 15% - but the bias was upwards by a lot more than the overall CPI/RPI would suggest.   These things do not represent a significant proportion of my budget - but I think they will force wages to rise - and with that... so will medium-term inflation and expectations thereof.

I think interest rates may rise further - but... for your aspirational childless neighbours... assuming they can remain solvent... I think it will work out for them long-term.

£160k per year obviously- typo. It's just taxes and NI- we currently sand £120k combined..

HOLA4422
17 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

£160k per year obviously- typo. It's just taxes and NI- we currently sand £120k combined..

:-)  Nothing is obvious in these inflationary times.

If I were to be supported by a wife's income... I could burn through £2m/anm easily.  The problem with wasting time earning money is that you don't have enough time to work out how to spend it. ;)

That said, I'm curious about your arithmetic for the equivalence of those combined and equivalent single income figures.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
6 hours ago, A.steve said:

🙂 Nothing is obvious in these inflationary times.

If I were to be supported by a wife's income... I could burn through £2m/anm easily.  The problem with wasting time earning money is that you don't have enough time to work out how to spend it. ;)

That said, I'm curious about your arithmetic for the equivalence of those combined and equivalent single income figures.

My husband currently earns £75k with a non contributory 10% pension. Only £5k on student loan balance so we will pay it off by the end of the year and I don't have a student loan. This will equate to nett £4370 and I earn nett £2730. That is combined £7100.

I just reran the numbers and assuming that he wouldn't have non contributory pension in a more highly paid role (not a bad assumption as this is his first role with non contributory pension), he would need to earn £145k to get nett £7103. So not £160k but still needs to double his income! 

Edited by desiringonlychild

HOLA4425