House Price Crash Forum

Councils going bust, schools crumbling, the NHS in crisis: the answer is more tax [OPINION]

HOLA441

The richest 10% of households own almost half of the UK’s wealth, the bottom 50% just 9%. Britain’s tax system encourages investment in bricks and mortar rather than innovation, symbolised by the fact that there is no capital gains tax on the sale of main residences. Reforming the tax system so that it better serves employees rather than rentiers would help to boost the UK’s growth potential.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/07/councils-schools-nhs-tax-labour-public-services-wealth-tax

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well, it isn't work apparently.

BBC News: Brits most likely to say 'we don't live to work'

A couple of HPC themes here.  House prices going up by more than wages, weakening the link between working and the security of home ownership.  Tax Credits and Universal Credit weakening the link between work and income.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

The richest 10% of households own almost half of the UK’s wealth, the bottom 50% just 9%. Britain’s tax system encourages investment in bricks and mortar rather than innovation, symbolised by the fact that there is no capital gains tax on the sale of main residences. Reforming the tax system so that it better serves employees rather than rentiers would help to boost the UK’s growth potential.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/07/councils-schools-nhs-tax-labour-public-services-wealth-tax

Surely another argument is forthe bottom 50% to become more productive?

The UK has free schooling, healthcare andf welfare in palce for 60 years.

Wheres the return on this?

HOLA445
2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Surely another argument is forthe bottom 50% to become more productive?

The UK has free schooling, healthcare andf welfare in palce for 60 years.

Wheres the return on this?

No. The argument is for the top 0.1% to stop f***ing us over and blaming 'others'.

Use the money spent on Test-N-Trace, Dodgy PPE, Dodgy Bounce Back Loans, Tax 'reliefs', PFI, off-balance-sheet accounting, and offshore evai-dance to spend on stuff that people actually need. 

Oh and stop the id*ots that spout soundbite sh*te every time to deflect, avoid, and deny the real issue eh :)

cookie.jpg

HOLA446
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Not even the 10%, you can narrow that to less than 300 individuals.   At that level of wealth concentration, you could just make them MPs and do away with the charade of 'democracy'

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 minute ago, clarkey said:

More tax or better spending on correct priorities . The state is a black hole and they will come back for more and more and more

The state is a black hole because they don't want you seeing where the money is going.  Why do you think MPs fought against supplying receipts for their 'expenses'

HOLA449
16 minutes ago, clarkey said:

More tax or better spending on correct priorities . The state is a black hole and they will come back for more and more and more

The ultra top avoid paying as much tax as possible, can and do pay as little as possible because they are very aware how the state waste it and funnel it to enrich themselves, donate to those with power and influence to work policy in their favour......they don't use the public services we all need and use....they think they pay their fair of taxes via our taxes or will say give to the charity they can choose, in control.;)

HOLA4410

The answer to everything problem in our lives is always government must spend more money spouted by various vested interests . You could tax people at 90% and it would still never be enough money. The system is a vast black hole and no government will ever get to grips

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, clarkey said:

The answer to everything problem in our lives is always government must spend more money spouted by various vested interests . You could tax people at 90% and it would still never be enough money. The system is a vast black hole and no government will ever get to grips

...and yet the same trope Utopia is the magical 0% tax land where everyone just pays for what they need themselves and nothing more.

The closest example of this Utopia being Somalia..

HOLA4412

99% of the rise in house prices is caused by two government interventions; planning permission, and financial terrorism (e.g. QE, HTB, etc etc), weighted heavily towards the latter.

The answer to a problem caused by government interference is not "more government interference", unless you are very, very stupid.

41 minutes ago, msi said:

...and yet the same trope Utopia is the magical 0% tax land where everyone just pays for what they need themselves and nothing more.

People like this will never get it, because they are OBSESSED with interfering in other people's lives, preferably by threatening them with massive violence (what do you think they base their masturbatory fantasies around when imagining what they want to happen to people who don't pay their "fair share")

When you buy a good or service, you are supporting the infrastructure which created that good or service, so you can't "just pay for what you need yourself and nothing more". Ever.

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, Locke said:

People like this will never get it, because they are OBSESSED with interfering in other people's lives, preferably by threatening them with massive violence (what do you think they base their masturbatory fantasies around when imagining what they want to happen to people who don't pay their "fair share")

I'm really annoyed by the state obsession in preventing me from stealing other people's stuff. We should be free to take whatever we want, wherever we want, however we want. Down with any people's rights

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, msi said:

Poor example. Try harder.

The distinction is that Somalia doesn't have any meaningful rule of law. Not because there might be no tax. It's the fact that it's an "I'll kill my neighbour if I feel like it because I've got a gun and he hasn't" type of place or the local government minister can easily pocket all the money meant for building new water pipelines to the community and easily get away with it. That's what makes it a sh*thole - and not that the average farming peasant can't afford an iPhone.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4415
Just now, anonguest said:

Poor example. Try harder.

The distinction is that Somalia doesn't have any meaningful rule of law. It's the fact that it's an "I'll kill my neighbour if I feel like it because I've got a gun and he hasn't" type of place

So no different than parts of the US that you purport to love..

or the local government minister can easily pocket all the money meant for building new water pipelines to the community and easily get away with it.

erm like the Tories that you purport to love....

That's what makes it a sh*thole - and not that the average farming peasant can't afford an iPhone.

Words into my mouth. Try harder.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
20 minutes ago, Freki said:

I'm really annoyed by the state obsession in preventing me from stealing other people's stuff. We should be free to take whatever we want, wherever we want, however we want. Down with any people's rights

Ah the LiBeRtArAiAn wet dream chanting of TaX iS tHeFt.  Strangely going silent when they need a state bailout or public services

HOLA4419
52 minutes ago, msi said:

And you spout b*llsh*t more than field of cows.  Go cry that your feeble attempt was called out in 30s

At least manure has uses. You have none.

But I'm impressed. You managed to spew all that without your trademark juvenile arthritic chimpanzee style typing. Well done. Shows you can make an effort if you really try.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
4 hours ago, anonguest said:

At least manure has uses. You have none.

But I'm impressed. You managed to spew all that without your trademark juvenile arthritic chimpanzee style typing. Well done. Shows you can make an effort if you really try.

Yes manure has uses.  Shame that is your one redeeming feature.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425