• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

There’s been intermittent shortages at Sainsburys over the last few weeks. First the orange peppers went awol. Then tomatoes. Last week I was forced to buy organic tomatoes and peppers (an extra 50% on price for both). Luckily padron peppers unaffected, that would really be a disaster.

Edited by Nick Cash
Spilling

HOLA445
22 hours ago, sta100 said:

When you can't work that out, work out firstly how you'll die on your backside attempting that now, how you could have done that if we were still part of the EU,  and how you'll never ever in your lifetime buy a british battery.

Evening. You seem especially unhinged today. 

HOLA446
15 hours ago, bartelbe said:

Science is a cross border endeavour, with cross border co-operation and funding. Major projects involve research institutes, universities and companies from multiple countries.

You seem to be focused on the money - not the science.  "Major projects" are necessary to enrich those entrenched at existing organisations - but they do not, in and of themselves, develop substantial scientific progress.  History suggests that substantial progress has been the domain of small players who are not guided by the hierarchical financial motivations of large scale projects and pompous institutions. It takes an extraordinary leap of faith to assume that now, for the first time ever, that breakthroughs in knowledge should be expected to correlate with budgets.

HOLA447
HOLA448
28 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Evening. You seem especially unhinged today. 

😀

7 minutes ago, Square Mile said:

There aint no cucumbers at Morrisons or Tescos for over a week now, its a travesty for my greek salads!

The Co-ops I have been to have lots of cucumbers.

But no leaves except spinach.

HOLA449
16 hours ago, Cocha said:

It's almost as if over 3 decades of de-industrialisation is the real issue, which happened whilst you and your ilk didn't give a toss and we were part of your beloved EU political union. No good bawling your eyes out over it now, but at least losing in June 2016 has seemingly focused your mind to it.

I managed to spin out a innovative business here from EU funded science. 

I assume as you've known about this for several decades you also went ahead and did something similar? And considered what the implications were to yours and others abilities to fix this problem before ticking a box?

What's your ilk again?

Edited by sta100

HOLA4410
19 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

The U.K. threw its self over to a knowledge based service economy in the days of thatcher . Let's be honest if it had to reindustrialize where would you put the factories? On top of the Pennines? All the old factories have been converted into appts for the growing population. So how does UK science make the British economy money? Well higher education brings in around £50bn a year for a start in direct overseas fees and spending, almost pure profit. Then there is the financial sector, AI, big data etc. The simple fact is that the U.K. offers good wages to scientist compared to most of the EU due to the way HE is structured. Most of Southern Europe at least, wages are abysmal and facilities falling apart. The mindset you have about manufacturing could only lead to an EU dominated by Germany with France playing robin to batman. There is enormous overcapacity in manufacturing in the world, especially the auto industry. having an EU hell bent in competing with something will not be able to compete with in the longer term is storing up trouble. High tech niche produce only make sense.

I am a scientist, I understand why people hated the vote as it was divisive about science and scientist are used to working with people from all over the world- it seemed to drag politics into it. Since them the EU has been showing us how to drag politics into science properly.

I agree with most of that apart from the fact you appear to have misinterpreted my position on manufacturing.

We are not going to manufacture things here on our own. The position we were in pre brexit was that we could design and innovate here and leverage foreign manufacturing to produce innovative niche things that could be sold to a large number of people due to the easy access to a local geographical common market.

We cannot produce niche things now since the economies of scale for them don't exist anymore, and we cannot manufacture mainstream products here as we don't and never will have the infrastructure for it.

If for example I came out with a way to efficiently utilise sodium for energy storage I could have easily spun that out into a business pre-brexit even if the core manufacturing was done in Germany, I can't see how that's the case now. 

Getting into bed with Australia and Canada won't fix this as there's too many geographical constraints.

I'm moving to the EU this year and I've spent a lot of time acquiring robotics knowledge from my existing business and can actually think about doing something with that now, there's so much space in niche consumer robotics at the moment. There's no constraints for example, on leveraging German infrastructure. But there's simply no point in attempting anything new here as it's too cost prohibitive.

I don't know what people think is going to happen here, it's almost a religious view that God is going to come along and provide or something. We can't manufacture anything and we have no ability to use others infrastructure anymore. So, what are we now?  Simply a poorer version of what we were before. It's like someone who leaves a job because they think they are going to get a better one but end up unemployed.

Edited by sta100

HOLA4411
9 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

No I presented three tweets. Two of which you ignored. I don't need to wonder why.

Here's another one to ignore...

Keep on denying reality clown. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

To be fair, if could be a slight affect to the harvest will mean there is plenty for Spain and the EU, but less surplus for other markets such as the UK.

HOLA4412
On 22/02/2023 at 00:57, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

It was all over the fcking news at the time.

This just clairifies the fact that the 2016 clown voters DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE VOTING FOR. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Unbelievable. 

Well, Cocha was voting to end freedom of movement because he believes the age old myth that foreigners are the reason for problems in his life.

EOfoJH4WoAAeM-K.jpg

HOLA4413
On 22/02/2023 at 08:00, Cocha said:

So we could have got shot of FoM but remained in the EU then? Please provide your irrefutable proof of this, as even your own EU supporting mongs appear to have accepted that wasn't possible. 

No-one ever said it was possible to end FoM and remain in the EU, so no-one has suddenly changed and "accepted this".

Yet another lie you peddle.

If leaving the EU was so great, you wouldn't have to lie with every breath.

HOLA4414
13 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Well, Cocha was voting to end freedom of movement because he believes the age old myth that foreigners are the reason for problems in his life.

EOfoJH4WoAAeM-K.jpg

FoM and immigration are not one and the same thing, no matter how many times you try and conflate the 2. 

HOLA4415
12 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

No-one ever said it was possible to end FoM and remain in the EU, so no-one has suddenly changed and "accepted this".

Yet another lie you peddle.

If leaving the EU was so great, you wouldn't have to lie with every breath.

Leaving the EU has been great for me. We ended FoM and EU flag shaggers suddenly started pretending to care about our manufacturing industry and now they are doing the same for farming. It's great to see :) This wouldn't have happened without Brexit.

HOLA4416
9 hours ago, Timm said:

😀

The Co-ops I have been to have lots of cucumbers.

But no leaves except spinach.

Nothing anymore will be just in time....supplies very erratic, we have just got to be more adaptable and get what is given when it comes.

We grow cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers but it needs energy lots of it, glass/plastic fertilizer, land and heat to grow and our energy is 10% or more expensive than prices in Europe, it also needs people to pick and pack, we are not prepared to pay them enough that is if can find them.;)

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Cocha said:

Leaving the EU has been great for me. We ended FoM and EU flag shaggers suddenly started pretending to care about our manufacturing industry and now they are doing the same for farming. It's great to see :) This wouldn't have happened without Brexit.

Yes, we know it has worked out great for you.

Very noble of you to save the young Brits from being exploited from working on ski resorts while you head off to the mountains. Well done!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
9 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Yes, we know it has worked out great for you.

Very noble of you to save the young Brits from being exploited from working on ski resorts while you head off to the mountains. Well done!

It was more for the benefit of the exploited EE workers & the low skilled workers in Britain really. I know you wanted this to continue to subsidise your cost of living, being a classic I'm Alright Jack type, Sod The Rest type of person, but I can't say I'm sorry for spoiling this for you.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
11 minutes ago, Cocha said:

It was more for the benefit of the exploited EE workers & the low skilled workers in Britain really. I know you wanted this to continue to subsidise your cost of living, being a classic I'm Alright Jack type, Sod The Rest type of person, but I can't say I'm sorry for spoiling this for you.

THe EE workers were anything but being exploited, in the early 90s when the Berlin wall came down and coach loads came over to work in construction and farming, the pound was so strong, it only took a few months to earn what could buy them a house in their home lands......they worked hard lived hard and earned lots.

We exploit others more who work in their own country sewing clothes and making goods with poor working and human rights......just so we can buy stuff cheaply from developing countries.

Now, today I doubt many EE would be so eager to come to work here, many other better places to earn a crust, lower cost of living, freedom of 27 countries.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, winkie said:

THe EE workers were anything but being exploited, in the early 90s when the Berlin wall came down and coach loads came over to work in construction and farming, the pound was so strong, it only took a few months to earn what could buy them a house in their home lands......they worked hard lived hard and earned lots.

We exploit others more who work in their own country sewing clothes and making goods with poor working and human rights......just so we can buy stuff cheaply from developing countries.

Now, today I doubt many EE would be so eager to come to work here, many other better places to earn a crust, lower cost of living, freedom of 27 countries.;)

Today and yesterday are very different. Unlimited FoM provided a constant pool of labour which reduced wages & working conditions in Britain for many. Both sides were exploited via FoM.

We also exploit textile workers in the Britain too. I've posted links to the sweatshops in Leicestershire before. I agree workers are exploited elsewhere as well, but for some reason people who pretend to care about slavery focus on slavery from hundreds of years ago which they can do nothing about, rather than the modern day slavery which they could. Such is the world of the wokies.

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, Postman said:

The Well-fed, alcoholic minister for the environment, Therese Coffey suggests those struggling to make ends meet, "work more hours if you can't afford food".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/food-shortages-supermarkets-jobs-coffey-b2288054.html

Get on yer bike, peasants!

3500.jpg

A very defensive woman....trying to defend the indefensible. ;)

HOLA4425