House Price Crash Forum

Empty shelves. Who’d of thought, eh?

Pmax2020

HOLA441
5 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

I’m living where I want, thanks.

Done the whole ‘London’ thing, and several other big cities around the world. Saw the light, never again.

Ah right, so I expect you've set up a business exporting globally down there. Perhaps that would have been a better place for me to get one off the ground. Maybe I'll see the light and become completely unambitious at some point having done the whole "London thing", whatever that is.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

If you can't afford food, work harder

Environment Secretary Therese Coffey stirred up a fresh row today by saying anyone who is struggling with cost-of-living crisis should take on longer hours.

She added that 'one of the best ways' for people to boost their incomes was 'potentially to work some more hours, to get upskilled, to get a higher income'.

The row is the latest in a series of controversies to hit the gaffe-prone Cabinet minister Ms Coffey, who has been dubbed 'Calamity Coffey' by critics.

Daily Mail

HOLA443
Just now, miguel said:

Complete and utter bollcks. You simply can't accept the truth. Brex sht is damaging the UK. 

I thought we were talking about tomatoes (or lack thereof) in some places (but by no means all) in the UK ?

Just now, miguel said:

But let's not listen to an ex supermarket CEO:

Perhaps he’s ex for a reason, surely you don’t believe everything you read on the internet ? And from yahoo of all places. To be fair, he’s got valid points, no question. But when did we leave the EU again and only now we see a lack of tomatoes in some places (but by no means all) in the UK ?

There are a lot on here that see dog shit on their street corner and extrapolate that across the land and assume that every street corner is covered in dog shit. NEWS: They aren’t.

HOLA444

Britons have this week been scrambling to buy tomato seeds to beat the shortages, with packets of them becoming bestsellers on Amazon.

They are top of the list in the garden section of the online retail giant and dominate the top ten in the vegetable seeds section. 

Some tomato seeds are also already out of stock at Asda and Tesco, while they have topped the bestsellers in vegetable seeds on the Waitrose website. 

Daily Mail

HOLA445
5 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

I thought we were talking about tomatoes (or lack thereof) in some places (but by no means all) in the UK ?

Perhaps he’s ex for a reason, surely you don’t believe everything you read on the internet ? And from yahoo of all places. To be fair, he’s got valid points, no question. But when did we leave the EU again and only now we see a lack of tomatoes in some places (but by no means all) in the UK ?

There are a lot on here that see dog shit on their street corner and extrapolate that across the land and assume that every street corner is covered in dog shit. NEWS: They aren’t.

Sure he's ex for a reason. The problem is you are pretending to know why. Perhaps he wanted a career change. There could be any number of reasons but you've decided to fabricate one. Typical Brex shter. 

My guess is that he knows far more about the industry than you ever will. 

I'll just repeat the links just in case they were missed. Note: there are two links.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/supermarket-shortages-fruit-and-vegetable-industry-hurt-horribly-by-brexit-supermarket-boss-183111416.html

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/food-shortage-uk-farmers-tesco-aldi-asda-morrisons-brexit/

Edited by miguel

HOLA446
7 minutes ago, rollover said:

If you can't afford food, work harder

Environment Secretary Therese Coffey stirred up a fresh row today by saying anyone who is struggling with cost-of-living crisis should take on longer hours.

She added that 'one of the best ways' for people to boost their incomes was 'potentially to work some more hours, to get upskilled, to get a higher income'.

The row is the latest in a series of controversies to hit the gaffe-prone Cabinet minister Ms Coffey, who has been dubbed 'Calamity Coffey' by critics.

Daily Mail

And she's right

Because nobody is coming along to bail out the UK having screwed itself over. So lots of people are going to starve. It's really that simple.

HOLA447

Yep, I expect it's a case that if one supermarket doesn't have stock, another will (or the street traders will have some). I failed to get eggs in the Co op yesterday, but went on a trek to the big Sainsburys and they had plenty. Not ideal, but not the greatest inconvenience you could imagine. We're not at Soviet Union queuing for basic foodstuffs quite yet.

HOLA448
11 minutes ago, sta100 said:

Ah right, so I expect you've set up a business exporting globally down there. Perhaps that would have been a better place for me to get one off the ground. Maybe I'll see the light and become completely unambitious at some point having done the whole "London thing", whatever that is.

Yes sounds like you're a real leader. Who said I’d set up a global export business ? Jumping to unfounded conclusions again I see, fair enough. Anyone in business ought to know when the time is right to diversify or get out.

Been there, done it, bought the T-Shirt thanks, ain’t doin’ it again, certainly not from a pretentious Zone 3 pwoperdee in what is effectively largely a shithole. And all over a few rotten tomatoes.

As my grandad always said, if you can’t get apple juice, buy orange juice. Or all manner of other old sayings that have stood the test of time for good reason.

Edited by Sackboii
typo

HOLA449

Well stocked supermarkets (pictured) aren’t confined to just Europe, equally well stocked in USA, Australia, New Zealand and almost everywhere else in the World, if UK supermarkets are suffering shortages it’s down to poor management.

I’d wager the purchasing agents on the continent have been warning for weeks about the increasing difficulty with supply in Europe, did the management bother looking elsewhere? of course not, shrug of the shoulders attitude, it’s the Uk way.

The top five tomato producing Nations aren’t even in Europe, probably a surplus of supply in all of them, if you can airfreight Grapes form Egypt and mangoes form India you can do the same with tomatoes.

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, miguel said:

The problem is you are pretending to know why

Not at all, how did you jump to that conclusion ?

4 minutes ago, miguel said:

There could be any number of reasons but you've decided to fabricate one

Yes there could be any number of reasons but the sole reason according to many here is BREXIT. Typical remoaner.

4 minutes ago, miguel said:

My guess is that he knows far more about the industry than you ever will.

Guessing is worse than pretending.

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Yep, I expect it's a case that if one supermarket doesn't have stock, another will (or the street traders will have some). I failed to get eggs in the Co op yesterday, but went on a trek to the big Sainsburys and they had plenty. Not ideal, but not the greatest inconvenience you could imagine. We're not at Soviet Union queuing for basic foodstuffs quite yet.

Interesting. I went to Lidl today and they were very low on veg. stock but better than Morrisons. They were out of eggs though. I'm aware that supermarkets are rationing veg but Is there egg rationing now? I walked home without eggs. 

HOLA4412
1 minute ago, Sackboii said:

Not at all, how did you jump to that conclusion ?

Yes there could be any number of reasons but the sole reason according to many here is BREXIT. Typical remoaner.

Guessing is worse than pretending.

You stated that he's an ex for a reason. What were you implying? 

You also deny that there are any shortages. There clearly are. 

Edited by miguel

HOLA4413
Just now, miguel said:

Interesting. I went to Lidl today and they were very low on veg. stock but better than Morrisons. They were out of eggs though. I'm aware that supermarkets are rationing veg but Is there egg rationing now? I walked home without eggs. 

I went to Lidl today too and got everything I wanted apart from eggs. I never looked if they had any there or not as I got them on the way home from then local farm as I always do.

HOLA4414

Vegetable shortages to last another month

The UK's vegetable crisis could last another month, the Environment Secretary has admitted, amid warnings of 'sky high prices' at some supermarkets.

Therese Coffey made the warning during environment, food and rural affairs questions in the House of Commons today as shoppers across Britain face empty shelves at supermarkets.

The Liberal Democrats have called for a COBRA meeting following warnings that the cost of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and salads could be sent 'sky high' by the current wave of shortages.

Daily Mail

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 minute ago, Sackboii said:

I went to Lidl today too and got everything I wanted apart from eggs. I never looked if they had any there or not as I got them on the way home from then local farm as I always do.

Yes. there are shortages. Glad you've admitted it. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Just now, Sackboii said:

Yes sounds like you're a real leader. Who said I’d set up a global export business ? Jumping to unfounded conclusions again I see, fair enough. Anyone in business out to know when the time is right to diversify of get out.

Been there, done it, bought the T-Shirt thanks, ain’t doin’ it again, certainly not from a pretentious Zone 3 pwoperdee in what is effectively largely a shithole. And all over a few rotten tomatoes.

As my grandad always said, if you can’t get apple juice, buy orange juice. Or all manner of other old sayings that have stood the test of time for good reason.

Yes because that's what it's about - a few tomatoes. While you live in your little bubble in the middle of nowhere expecting that somehow the land of milk and honey will keep flowing for you while others put the hard work in to actually keep the Country ticking over.

It's funny how none of you I speak to ever seem to create or do anything of particular use from a "bringing money into the Country" perspective. As I said there is no point in moving to wherever you are, either I move to a place where it's easy to go from innovation to product, or I move to the myriad of places that are hotter with sandy beaches and seas. I didn't bind my choice of existence to some little village in the UK which are becoming rapidly poorer.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
5 minutes ago, sta100 said:

While you live in your little bubble in the middle of nowhere expecting that somehow the land of milk and honey will keep flowing for you while others put the hard work in to actually keep the Country ticking over.

As I said, been there and done it, put the hard work in, succeeded, had some hiccups along the way, a shed load of stress and strain, occasionally wondered how I’d come out the other end, but thankfully did through no accident. Paid my high rate taxes for the best part of 35 years, still paying my high rate taxes, paid top rate for several years on occasions, gives me as much right as anyone else on here or in the country to express an opinion.

I defo paid my stamp.

Edited by Sackboii

HOLA4421
Just now, Sackboii said:

Read the entire post again.

What for? I'd rather read this (and I quote, verbatim)

'Perhaps he’s ex for a reason, surely you don’t believe everything you read on the internet ? And from yahoo of all places.'

It's not just on Yahoo. If you actually took the trouble he's quoted on many news sources. Google is your friend. He had 10 years experience as CEO of Sainsbury's. . . . but according to the great Brex sht nutters. . . he's ex for a reason. 

Right. 

HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, miguel said:

Yes. there are shortages. Glad you've admitted it. 

You quoted me regarding my shopping trip and the fact that I didn’t get any eggs, and inferred from that that there were shortages when you failed to read the fact that I’d got my eggs from a local farm supplier, as I always do.

So crossed wires, but at your end.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
46 minutes ago, miguel said:

Complete and utter bollcks. You simply can't accept the truth. Brex sht is damaging the UK....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/food-shortage-uk-farmers-tesco-aldi-asda-morrisons-brexit/

Gawd Strewth, it's Liz Fletcher again!  The LibDem remoaner founder of the so-called "Save British Farming" (aka "Save British Food") organisation, which campaigns for more food imports from the EU.  Yesterday I described this as a "front organisation without much physical presence, but vocal on Facebook, and its every pronouncement enthusiastically reported by the usual Remoaner media outlets".  After researching  it more today, I think that this "organisation" does not actually exist, but is just her posting on Facebook and tapping her sympathetic media contacts.   Here you can see her sounding off while sitting in front of her well-stocked drinks cabinet, which judging by the rubbish she spouts, she has been well imbibing from 🤪

https://www.facebook.com/SaveBritishFood/

Edited by Dyson Fury

HOLA4425