House Price Crash Forum

Empty shelves. Who’d of thought, eh?

Pmax2020

HOLA441
8 minutes ago, crash-and-burn said:

I have hundreds of hierloom seeds, bagged up and stored, and I save new ones each year... I fear the bigger problem in the future is for commercial growers rather than backyard gardeners.... You should see the carnage the likes of Bill Gates caused in India, resulting in many more farmer suicides.

I guess the problem there is not farming for themselves, mainly export crops for $£, well that and not using fertilizer results in lower yields.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
9 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

If you're an Aldi or Lidl with stores throughout continental Europe, then why would you direct stock to the UK when you know it’ll only get stuck on the road or at ports for many, many days?

Especially when the UK state broadcaster will protect your reputation with propaganda pieces such as this. With the comments turned off.  Always turned off, eh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64712361

It was good to hear LBC listeners ringing in from all over Europe to confirm there’s been no food shortages elsewhere. 

What on earth could be the problem here on our shores?!?

Because they sell different things in different countries perhaps?

I went to one in France about 1 mile from the border with Spain, surprised to see they sold many different things than in Spain.

Do they sell British beer in France? Can't remember seeing it.

HOLA443
8 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Yeah it's a real mystery for sure. Almost as if the clowns had decided to vote themselves poorer, with less rights and freedoms. As you say, a real mystery why only the UK is affected. 

Yawn, go shopping in EUer Alidis, find out for yourself.

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, yodigo said:

Because they sell different things in different countries perhaps?

I went to one in France about 1 mile from the border with Spain, surprised to see they sold many different things than in Spain.

Do they sell British beer in France? Can't remember seeing it.

Yes, you can get British beers, but they're often hidden beneath a large selection of European ones.

HOLA445

Down to poor management, never see a problem until it hits them in the face.

Forget Europe, hundreds of tons of fresh produce airfreighted into the UK from all over the World everyday, whilst they were on the phone to South Africa ordering the grapes or Isreal about the strawberries, American sweet potatoes, Zimbabwe for the beans no one had the brains to enquire about the availability of tomatoes locally.

HOLA446
29 minutes ago, Rolypoly said:

Down to poor management, never see a problem until it hits them in the face.

Forget Europe, hundreds of tons of fresh produce airfreighted into the UK from all over the World everyday, whilst they were on the phone to South Africa ordering the grapes or Isreal about the strawberries, American sweet potatoes, Zimbabwe for the beans no one had the brains to enquire about the availability of tomatoes locally.

That is not green......we can grow more for ourselves, even tomatoes and peppers, that is not the plan.......it is to import food from cheaper producing nations with post brexit deals.

The supermarkets and the selection in Europe are a complete contrast to ours, prices very often competitive to what we are now having to pay......I suggest anyone who travels there go have a look, you will be amazed, not just in the warmer sunnier climate countries.;)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/21/britains-farmers-battered-by-brexit-fallout-and-rising-costs-says-union

Edited by winkie
Wrong word

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Pmax2020 said:

You’re not though. Veg is still pretty cheap, and normally available in abundance. Just not post-brexit because produces and suppliers have said cheerio to the insular, short-sighted brits

This is just a little remainer fantasy, that EU suppliers are flicking the V's at Britain for leaving their political union. Producers & suppliers put profit first. I'm having no issues with my EU based suppliers quoting and supplying. However, that is for generally non perishable products. If the EU have moved away from supplying Britain, then it is due to logistics etc, not because suppliers themselves have turned their back on Britain. 

This creates opportunities, either for us to realise we should be producing more domestically and do something about it, or to look for new sources of supply. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
3 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Sorry would it be different without Brexit? Most of our to tomatoes come from Holland anyway. In general to reach net zero we need to produce these as close to home as possible. Vertical farming is the way to go..

https://www.hortidaily.com/article/9212847/tomatoes-and-cucumbers-in-a-vertical-farm-without-daylight/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-startup-develops-first-ai-robot-for-picking-tomatoes/

no people needed at all....

Vertical farming is expensive and a lot of people say it's not sustainable. The yield is inefficient.

Are indoor vertical farms really ‘future-proofing agriculture’? | US news | The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/17/indoor-vertical-farms-agriculture

No, Vertical Farms Won’t Feed the World | by Dr. Jonathan Foley | GlobalEcoGuy.org
https://globalecoguy.org/no-vertical-farms-wont-feed-the-world-5313e3e961c0

Is vertical farming profitable? - Light Science Technologies
https://lightsciencetech.com/is-vertical-farming-profitable/

Six Hard Truths about Vertical Farming – Grow
https://grow.cals.wisc.edu/departments/front-list/six-hard-truths-about-vertical-farming

HOLA4411
47 minutes ago, winkie said:

The problem was Hard Brexit.....is that what all those who voted out wanted?..... doubt it most definitely not more than half the country......this is an article two years old, any improvements......or nothing changed?;)

https://www.foodcircle.com/magazine/brexit-updates-food-industry-supply-chains

Hard enough to end FoM is what I wanted.

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Cocha said:

This creates opportunities, either for us to realise we should be producing more domestically and do something about it, or to look for new sources of supply. 

You know what else might create new opportunities. If you remove both of your feet. The opens up all sorts of opportunities. You could learn to use a wheelchair, or those running spring things, and so on.

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

You know what else might create new opportunities. If you remove both of your feet. The opens up all sorts of opportunities. You could learn to use a wheelchair, or those running spring things, and so on.

He's already exploring new opportunities to keep voting Tory by removing his Brain :)

Edited by msi
typo

HOLA4414

Of course we could and should be growing more ourselves, if the Netherlands can grow tomatoes this time of year so can we, but the idea that we can supply ourselves with the sort of fresh produce that people like to eat all year round is nonsense and neither can the Europeans, the French will be eating South African grapes this time of year the same as us.

The most consumed fruit in Europe is the banana, all grown in the West Indian or South America, how much of that wide selection of produce in German and French supermarkets this time of year is actually grown in Europe.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
6 minutes ago, msi said:

He's already exploring new opportunities to keep voting Tory by removing his Brain :)

Ahhh Labour's biggest fanboi on here who appears to have 'forgotten' to put me on ignore again 😂

Sorry chuck, you can project as much as you like, but it won't change the fact I've never voted tory :)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
12 minutes ago, winkie said:

I value freedom of movement and free trade to move food and other goods and services.......hard brexit will harder for us, let's hope we can all continue to afford it.;)

Plenty of people do value FoM, those who don't suffer the negative aspects of it. Some people pay a high price for the benefits of others to enjoy. Whilst free movement of goods would be nice, we can't have it without FoM and the negatives of FoM outweigh the positives of free movement of goods for me.

HOLA4421
21 minutes ago, Cocha said:

Plenty of people do value FoM, those who don't suffer the negative aspects of it. Some people pay a high price for the benefits of others to enjoy. Whilst free movement of goods would be nice, we can't have it without FoM and the negatives of FoM outweigh the positives of free movement of goods for me.

Why is Freedom of Movement necessary for freedom of goods movement?

Take out FoM and you'll have a lot a happier population.

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, MerchantNavy said:

As far as I'm aware, the EU won't allow one without the other. I'm happy to be corrected if this isn't the case though and if it isn't, why the ****** weren't remainers shouting it from the rooftops during the referendum campaign??? I mean, that would have been off the scale stupidity.....

HOLA4423
14 minutes ago, MerchantNavy said:

You don't have to have it. The UK has left the EU and now has a standard trade deal with the EU nations. It isn't the single market though.

The single market is more than that though and people living in Europe have been allowed to move around Europe pretty much forever. You won't convince the other EU nations that being allowed to move around the EU is a bad thing. They think we're idiots.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425