House Price Crash Forum

Jacob Rees-Mogg 'considers running to be next leader of the Tory party

rollover

HOLA441

J.R. Mogg could make a bid if they lose the next election and Rishi Sunak is forced to step down'

Jacob Rees-Mogg is reportedly weighing up a bid to run for the Tory party leadership should Rishi Sunak tank the next general election.

The former Business Secretary, 53, is understood to be tempted by the prospect of becoming the standard-bearer of the right-wing of the party should they endure a battering at the polling booths. 

Mr Rees-Mogg is said to have been tempted to run for leader after Mr Johnson was finally forced to accept his support was crumbling and his premiership doomed. The-then Brexit Opportunities minister thought about it overnight but decided to join other Boris loyalists such as Nadine Dorries in backing Ms Truss - whose time as Prime Minister infamously ended after less than two months. 

Daily Mail

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
5 minutes ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

I confidently assert that the Tories will be finished as a political force within five years. Mogg attempting to become leader is another indicator of their soon to be fringe party status. 

This 

HOLA447
4 minutes ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

I confidently assert that the Tories will be finished as a political force within five years. Mogg attempting to become leader is another indicator of their soon to be fringe party status. 

I don't think the Tories will be finished, but the right-wing of the party may split and JR Mogg may become the leader.

HOLA448
4 minutes ago, rollover said:

I don't think the Tories will be finished, but the right-wing of the party may split and JR Mogg may become the leader.

In other words...the party is over.

Mogg and other 'chaps' may inherit the ruins but it will be a small party of oddballs, appealing only to fringe people who delight in torturing animals and wearing corduroy. 

The rump of what was the Conservative party will defect to the Dems or Labour, and possibly found a new Neo Liberal party in the Blair mould.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
3 hours ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

Mogg and other 'chaps' may inherit the ruins but it will be a small party of oddballs, appealing only to fringe people who delight in torturing animals and wearing corduroy.

Have you any evidence that Mogg wears corduroy?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
22 hours ago, rollover said:

J.R. Mogg could make a bid if they lose the next election and Rishi Sunak is forced to step down'

Jacob Rees-Mogg is reportedly weighing up a bid to run for the Tory party leadership should Rishi Sunak tank the next general election.

The former Business Secretary, 53, is understood to be tempted by the prospect of becoming the standard-bearer of the right-wing of the party should they endure a battering at the polling booths. 

Mr Rees-Mogg is said to have been tempted to run for leader after Mr Johnson was finally forced to accept his support was crumbling and his premiership doomed. The-then Brexit Opportunities minister thought about it overnight but decided to join other Boris loyalists such as Nadine Dorries in backing Ms Truss - whose time as Prime Minister infamously ended after less than two months. 

Daily Mail

Not convinced Sunak will survive May's local election results.  The back benchers will fear for their seats (they aren't bright and the penny hasn't dropped for most yet)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson re-elected leader of the party.

HOLA4416
22 hours ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

Been saying this for a while now.  Time for small c conservatives to rise and reclaim their party or face oblivion

HOLA4417
13 hours ago, reddog said:

Speaking as someone that have voted Tory in the past, the JRM "act" wore thin some time ago.

Kemi Badanock would be a much better prospect.

Doubt it, nothing more than a parrot spouting off the stuff the Rabid Right like

HOLA4418
12 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Not convinced Sunak will survive May's local election results.  The back benchers will fear for their seats (they aren't bright and the penny hasn't dropped for most yet)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson re-elected leader of the party.

No political principles so lets go for style, eh?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
22 hours ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

In other words...the party is over.

The rump of what was the Conservative party will defect to the Dems or Labour, and possibly found a new Neo Liberal party in the Blair mould.

Ironic. The tory party turns into the political party that destroyed it, UKIP 😆

HOLA4421

As has been observed by many others, they saw a threat from UKIP and reacted badly. The answer for the Tories was to move towards the EU and more Liberal factions within their party. Instead they went all ERG.

Nothing as such wrong with that, except that, as you suggest they are not the Conservative party anymore. 

I voted 'out', in the belief that that full economic and political control would be regained by the electorate. 

It took a few years but I now realise that control has actually been ceded away from the people and into the hands of the ERG foamers. 

I and many others were duped and I'm less than happy about the situation. Labour were also complicit in what occurred. Having said all that, I am not sure that I would vote 'in' given another opportunity.

Frankly, I don't think it matters much whether we are 'in' or 'out'. What does matter, a LOT, is whether the governance of the country is seen to be legitimate, effective and in the interests of the general public. At the moment Britain is barely a democracy as we would assume it, more of a corporate oligarchy. Not a place I want to be.  

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

I'll further qualify what I said above by stating that it might simply come to pass that life in Britain deteriorates to such an extent that we go back to the EU out of necessity rather than preference. 

It's how we joined in the first place.... oh well another Br*xit 'Win' for the loons here

HOLA4424
7 minutes ago, Homeless Millionaire said:

I voted 'out', in the belief that that full economic and political control would be regained by the electorate. 

It took a few years but I now realise that control has actually been ceded away from the people and into the hands of the ERG foamers. 

I don't want to be the guy that told you so, but

We all f****ing told you so but you call it PrOjEcT fEaR....

HOLA4425