• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
2 hours ago, markyh said:

As predicted drove past the local Esso today on the way home from a Wagamama lunch, has jumped from 156.9p ltr last week to 161.2p ltr. 

I smiled. 

Pretty glad I swapped my BMW M5 (Av 9mpg, 15 mpg on a run) for an EV, otherwise I would now be paying £100 for around 150 mile range.  

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Shortages incoming in some areas (apparently).

We're still missing HGV drivers and all the rest.

Hopefully just a blip.

They are not missing, they are sitting on roads and in lorry parks on both sides of the Channel waiting for paperwork and cargos to be checked.

Far more lorries now needed to move the same amount of goods.

HOLA448
On 27/02/2022 at 01:49, kzb said:

I think it's time you ventured out from that wine bar sometimes .  

I think should you venture your head from your backside and learn to put a cogent argument together.  Until then, enjoy my block list

HOLA449
1 hour ago, msi said:

I think should you venture your head from your backside and learn to put a cogent argument together.  Until then, enjoy my block list

It's your loss.  I guess you don't like having what you've believed as gospel, is often full of holes.  Some people find that disturbing I suppose.

HOLA4410
On 26/02/2022 at 17:05, kzb said:

I never saw it, but good there are some alternative views being presented on TV.  At least there is a debate, unlike the BBC and Channel 4.  Listening to those, people get the impression there is no real problem with doing away with vehicle fuels and gas.  They don't get to hear what a mountain to climb that is.

Quite frankly we do need a strategy to cover our energy needs until we can get vastly more nuclear power online.  Wind is not on target to do that and UK generation capacity is falling, not increasing rapidly as it needs to.

The current policy is totally insufficient, because it does not encourage electricity storage, which will be needed on a huge scale if we are to be dependent on wind and solar.

You think that what we need is more deliberate misinformation promoted by the fossil fuel lobby? Every bit of the article was factually inaccurate. 

NB GB News is part funded by fossil fuel lobbyists, just looked at it now and they are banging on about high electricity prices being caused by renewable subsidies - ignoring that they are currently providing electricity at half the price of gas. 

Yes and that strategy needs to be demand reduction, a smarter grid and a much more rapid rollout of renewables.  Yesterday around 50% of our energy came from renewables that should be +200% then we can start on physical storage until then software can do the job at a fraction of the price.  

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The report I commented on was about the cost of electricity. 

Maybe but you repeated the same mistake as someone else above.  Equating energy with electricity is misleading.

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

high electricity prices being caused by renewable subsidies - ignoring that they are currently providing electricity at half the price of gas. 

The subsidies are certainly not helping things.  They are added to our bills and then we pay VAT on them. 

Now, can you back up your statement that renewables are currently providing electricity at half the price of gas?  Bearing in mind that wind power is averaging something over £150/MWh ?

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, kzb said:

Maybe but you repeated the same mistake as someone else above.  Equating energy with electricity is misleading.

The subsidies are certainly not helping things.  They are added to our bills and then we pay VAT on them. 

Now, can you back up your statement that renewables are currently providing electricity at half the price of gas?  Bearing in mind that wind power is averaging something over £150/MWh ?

I didn't make a mistake, I assumed any readers would have the intelligence to understand that as I was talking about electricity that was the energy I was referring to. the cost or wind power was £65 MWh  

In 2021 the cost of onshore wind power was £65 MWh, this year it is forecast to be £46 MWh. Offshore is a bit dearer but still half today's price of gas.  

https://www.businesselectricityprices.org.uk/wind-turbine-facts/#:~:text=Below are ten facts and figures about wind,now and forecasted at £46%2FMWh in 2022 (4.6p%2FkWh). 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 minutes ago, longgone said:

if only i spent 50k on a EV i could save £15 on a tank of fuel from last year. 🙈

The capital upfront cost of an EV doesn't save money compared to the on going cost of servicing an economical low carbon emission ice vehicle for most people.......unless do plus 15k miles pa or drive an expensive gas guzzler uneconomical car.........EV vehicles don't do high mileage journeys very well, got to find a charger and add extra time for the journey.;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

UK petrol price jumps above £1.50 as oil costs rise

The RAC said the average price of petrol jumped to £1.51 a litre on Sunday, while diesel increased to £1.55.

The price of both fuels has jumped since Thursday, when Russia began its assault on Ukraine.

RAC fuel spokesman Simon Williams said despite oil prices calming, prices at the pump will continue to rise.

The cost of filling a 55-litre family car with unleaded petrol is now £83, or £85 for diesel.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
43 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I didn't make a mistake, I assumed any readers would have the intelligence to understand that as I was talking about electricity that was the energy I was referring to. the cost or wind power was £65 MWh  

It's surprising how many don't realist the difference, and particularly the small proportion of total energy that electricity is.

45 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

n 2021 the cost of onshore wind power was £65 MWh, this year it is forecast to be £46 MWh. Offshore is a bit dearer but still half today's price of gas.  

OK granted I was referring to offshore wind, but we have to add the subsidy part of our bill to these costs.

HOLA4423
42 minutes ago, winkie said:

That's gasoline though.  Domestic gas price breakdown would be different and the breakdown for gas used in electricity generation different again.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
35 minutes ago, winkie said:

The capital upfront cost of an EV doesn't save money compared to the on going cost of servicing an economical low carbon emission ice vehicle for most people.......unless do plus 15k miles pa or drive an expensive gas guzzler uneconomical car.........EV vehicles don't do high mileage journeys very well, got to find a charger and add extra time for the journey.;)

yes ev`s make no sense unless you are adamant you have to spend 50k on a car anyway.