Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Best way is to do a good job interview, including English and Math test, previous experience, psychometric test.....and where all candidates are given a six month probationary period......a degree is not necessary in most cases for most first jobs, doing the job is learning, learn as you earn. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

45% get grade A's?!?! 🤣

My son got 3 A’ s today he got refused by Cambridge as he did not do well in the interview, he goes to a private school and none of his friends could get into oxbridge, but he got into one of the top 5 university in the UK

Edited by shlomo

HOLA4410

The university system imo is outdated it does not work for many......I do know those that thrive on taking exams got so many qualifications and grades it became their full time occupation...... couldn't stick a job for long, not for want of trying so went back to passing tests and continue to do so.....a lifetime work.;)

HOLA4411

We never seem to find the right balance here in the UK do we!

Here are 2 links from the same YouTube file. Its a German woman who has lived in the UK but is now leaving. These are from her "10 things I hate about the UK" video...TBF she did do the opposite, as in things she loved.

This concurs with my views that we coddle our kids too much in the UK when they are in full time education...then throw them to the wolves once they join the workforce.

Hows about we instill some independence into them at school and then protect them a bit more when they join the world of the worker?

These new A level graduates will just find that the world isnt as easy as they think...just like those who went before them.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
10 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

We never seem to find the right balance here in the UK do we!

Here are 2 links from the same YouTube file. Its a German woman who has lived in the UK but is now leaving. These are from her "10 things I hate about the UK" video...TBF she did do the opposite, as in things she loved.

This concurs with my views that we coddle our kids too much in the UK when they are in full time education...then throw them to the wolves once they join the workforce.

Hows about we instill some independence into them at school and then protect them a bit more when they join the world of the worker?

These new A level graduates will just find that the world isnt as easy as they think...just like those who went before them.

Did she mention lack of panzer factories ?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The thing that annoys me here is that even last year's students' achievements have been devalued in comparison - if their grades are taken on face value alone.  It even further applies to my cohort of 20+years ago, where an A was a pretty decent achievement (and A* grading wasn't necessary).

It's not that I'd expect to get a job based on my A levels, but I just can't get excited for kids that have got As now when it's barely more valuable than a certificate of exam attendance.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
53 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

If they can do this well with the schools half-closed we ought to think about closing them fully.

No, my children studied a lot more as they had no distractions even though they were gaming 50% of the time