House Price Crash Forum

All Windrush victims to get at least £10,000

shlomo

HOLA441

https://www.gov.uk/apply-windrush-compensation-scheme

Overview

You may be able to claim compensation if you suffered losses because you could not show that you had a right to live in the UK.

‘Losses’ can be things like not being able to work, find a place to live or get health treatment. They can also include immigration action, like detention or removal from the UK.

Who can apply

You can apply if:

• you came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
  • your parents or grandparents came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
  • you came to the UK from any country before 31 December 1988 and are now settled here

You can also apply if you are:

• the close family member of someone eligible to claim and you have had significant losses yourself
  • representing the estate of someone who would have been eligible
  •  
Edited by shlomo

HOLA442

All Windrush victims to get at least £10,000

The government is to give more money to victims of the Windrush scandal, which saw hundreds of people wrongly threatened with deportation.

Home Secretary Priti Patel announced that the minimum payment will rise from £250 to £10,000, and the maximum from £10,000 to £100,000.

The figure will be higher still in "exceptional" circumstances, with money coming through quicker than before.

The Windrush scandal mainly affected UK citizens originally from the Caribbean.

They were granted indefinite leave to remain in 1971, but thousands were children who had travelled on their parents' passports.

Because of this, many were unable to prove they had the right to live in the country when "hostile environment" immigration policies - demanding the showing of documentation - began in 2012, under then Home Secretary Theresa May.

The scandal broke in 2018, including the revelation that many of those affected had lost homes and jobs and had been denied access to healthcare and benefits.

The BBC's Westminster Hour reported last month that at least nine people had died while awaiting payments under the compensation scheme set up for victims.

Article-Card-windrush-generation.jpg

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Like you say it has nothing to do with house prices. Most likely just posted to covertly trigger xenophobic posters. Like £10,000 compensation is big bucks anyway. 

Spot on. Those guys have been though a hell of a lot, families split and many deported for very minor offences but cos they're black, were expected to think less of them as they've received compensation. 

HOLA4410

Spot on. Those guys have been though a hell of a lot, families split and many deported for very minor offences but cos they're black, were expected to think less of them as they've received compensation. 

They were unfairly racially profiled so deserve the compensation. The fact they didn't think it necessary to get full legal status through applying for a passport has always struck me as strange and frankly  a bit daft 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

They were unfairly racially profiled so deserve the compensation. The fact they didn't think it necessary to get full legal status through applying for a passport has always struck me as strange and frankly  a bit daft 

I'm some of the cases they had been here since they were tiny and assumed their status was fine. Even with older ones we're talking the tail end of Empire when those in the Caribbean assumed they had those rights. Sure, ignorance is not  a defence, but lots of people who are not Carribean don't understand their rights and relationships to the state. For example, people still think they are subjects of the Crown, which ceased for all but a few in Hong Kong in about 1983.

HOLA4413

I'm some of the cases they had been here since they were tiny and assumed their status was fine. Even with older ones we're talking the tail end of Empire when those in the Caribbean assumed they had those rights. Sure, ignorance is not  a defence, but lots of people who are not Carribean don't understand their rights and relationships to the state. For example, people still think they are subjects of the Crown, which ceased for all but a few in Hong Kong in about 1983.

Yep good point. My Dad was a displaced person so for obvious reasons getting status was a big thing in our family

HOLA4414

True, I suppose they didn't think it necessary and had no reason to want a passport.....they were invited here to build the economy and help with jobs that required doing.....paid income taxes and NI for years, had access to our health service that many came to work in....this country became their country and their home.;)

HOLA4415

True, I suppose they didn't think it necessary and had no reason to want a passport.....they were invited here to build the economy and help with jobs that required doing.....paid income taxes and NI for years, had access to our health service that many came to work in....this country became their country and their home.;)

As above agree - ultimately failure of the system not them

HOLA4416

Yep good point. My Dad was a displaced person so for obvious reasons getting status was a big thing in our family

My wife's grandmother also, but it took her thirty years as she didn't want to be 'on a list' as it had previously gone very badly and involved internment by both sides in WW2. This wouldn't apply in the case of Windrush, but might in others including recent ones from war zones. Jerry Springer's parents kept bags packed their entire lives, for example. Creating a 'hostile environment' could feed into existing paranoia for someone arriving from Syria. 

HOLA4417

My wife's grandmother also, but it took her thirty years as she didn't want to be 'on a list' as it had previously gone very badly and involved internment by both sides in WW2. This wouldn't apply in the case of Windrush, but might in others including recent ones from war zones. Jerry Springer's parents kept bags packed their entire lives, for example. Creating a 'hostile environment' could feed into existing paranoia for someone arriving from Syria. 

Again great point - my Dad married in to my Mums family a working class family from Kentish Town - who were not adverse to liberating other peoples goods occasionally or at least being the beneficiaries of that activity - with his status precarious for years I am sure he was on edge a lot of the time bless him... 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

actually its because they cant prove they should be here and they committed offences. I am perfectly comfortable with deporting anyone who has committed a crime who cant prove they should be here including Europeans.