House Price Crash Forum

Stamp duty holiday for 6 months for properties up to £500K

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

Just need that dose of inflation we all know is coming, which most deny on here and bang we are away again. 

Inflation will only appear in general if there is sufficient demand and/or imports become more expensive. The latter is quite likely due to the value of Sterling and import tariffs, but even that might not outweigh the lack of demand. Look at 2008-11: many seem to be concerned about hyperinflation, and it ticked up a bit for a few quarters, but not hugely, as demand was low, and then it fell back.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

Clear message from the government, buy now, before inflation takes off and gentrification gets you, if you cannot keep up.

Depends on the type of inflation.

If its caused say from a currency devaluation from a messy brexit that is not good for UK asset values. 

HOLA443
58 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Nothing...absolutely nothing.

It shows where their priorities lay and it will not be long before the MSM realise this. They will be writing their essays as as you all read this.

We have had a holocaust in our care homes, with our total COVID deaths in a few months equaling a large fraction of those civilians lost in WW2...and thats using the official figures which are probably massaged. Hitler didn't kill our population at this rate.

Our children have not been to school since March and will not return for another  2 months...now starting to scar an entire generation. When the bombs were falling my parents and extended family still went to school.

Whats the response?...get 'em spending in the pubs and fast food restaurants; get 'em in debt buying houses again!

The more I ponder this, the angrier I get.

Oh how the mighty have fallen!

I get more angry at the stupid public for putting up with this crap more  than the corrupt worm food we have in government.  They are utterly stupid.

HOLA444
HOLA445
11 minutes ago, longgone said:

Why the scaremongering on inflation like it's the only tool in the box of VI's ??

Surely inflation = higher salaries. I'm really not all that worried about my savings being worth less so why  buy exactly?

Did you actually just say, you don't mind losing money? Send it my way then.

It's not scare mongering they are clearly going in that direction.

Edited by Speed1987

HOLA446
HOLA447

Wether it's inflation or more gifts, they'll becoming and propping up the market and eroding debt.

Hedge your bets now, deflation will cause mass riots, the government would probably be murdered. They have no choice but to erode debt.

They will not just change course magically in a few months, this hasn't finished yet. Expect much more!!!

HOLA448
HOLA449
4 hours ago, HovelinHove said:

This is the big question for those who have been waiting on here. Prices may rise in the short term, they may fall as sellers want to offload in the next 9 months. 

I somewhat agree with this.  I think lots of transactions will be made in the next few months.  It will be a busy market and loads of buying and selling.  Come autumn things will be clearer.  Dare I say that they have used all their ammunition?  It will help short term, but the economy is still f**cked.  Has the press not announced we are officially in a recession?  It’s all been kept rather quiet.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

Just heard it..."Eat out to help out"

Jesus wept!

Monday to Wednesday, for the month of August.

I really wasn't expecting that; who the hell thought of that one.

I am really starting to suspect tokenism here which means they are getting their excuses ready.

Law of unintended consequences.

no one goes to eat out in July as they’re waiting for their 50% off in August. 
no one eats out Thursday to Sunday as they want 50% off.

no one eats out in September because it doesn’t look like good value.

this could backfire spectacularly 

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Its for a maximum of £10.

I mean come on we do need some realism. 

Pizza express have a 2 for 1 voucher, NOBODY EVER GOES ANYWHERE ELSE. As if.

HOLA4412
6 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Melbourne has gone back into lockdown for 6 weeks - all gyms, bars, cafes, non essential stores and restaurants closed from tomorrow (its tomorrow there now of course!) and everyone must stay at home. That is on the basis of 100 new daily cases there.

If it can happen there - it can happen here!

Sadly we may never get to use Rishi's vouchers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53335745

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4413
1 minute ago, Odysseus said:

COVID-19 deaths are starting to tick up again. In 3 weeks if we're back to 300 - 500 deaths per day what happens then? 

Personally, i'm not bothered about 50% off meals for midweek eating where i have to register, wear a mask, and pretend i'm enjoying myself. Groupon have always done decent midweek meal voucher discounts and, like this scheme, it didn't include drink which is where the money is made.  

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, HovelinHove said:

So, how many FTB will benefit from this...pretty much zero.

Who are most affected by COVID in terms of job and income loss? FTB

Who underpins virtually every chain? FTB

The more I think about this, the more I think it will have minimum impact.

I agree.  It looks like they have done something and certainly gets the market moving.  Still no help for FTB, they are the ones that count.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, captainb said:

Its for a maximum of £10.

I mean come on we do need some realism. 

Pizza express have a 2 for 1 voucher, NOBODY EVER GOES ANYWHERE ELSE. As if.

indeed i get more money off on those red letter day vouchers. It's a token gesture and it's not like restaurants are empty when those offers aren't on.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Good point...perhaps thats why Governments havent got this involved in the economy in the past.

They are all novices so perhaps the old saying that involves c0ck up or conspiracy its in force here.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Oh dear it's live die repeat, what a crazy world, 25% drop in GDP,  fix it with 10 quid off a meal or no stamp duty up to 500k, blimey think about that for a moment.

1000 quid to employ someone furloughed, it's not going to do the job is it? not even close. 

HOLA4423
54 minutes ago, longgone said:

Why the scaremongering on inflation like it's the only tool in the box of VI's ??

Surely inflation = higher salaries.

Higher salaries? Don't make me :lol::lol::lol:

Those who still have a job after the furlough scheme ends will have to accept flat wages for a very long time.

Lots will be told "take a pay cut, or here's your P45".

I think this SD holiday will end up having a negligible impact on HPs, hence it's likely to get extended well beyond the end of March.

The key factors are unemployment and lending criteria - the rest is just noise peddled by the usual suspects.

Edited by Deckard

HOLA4424
8 minutes ago, xxxx said:

That is exactly what they want the sheep to think.

One thing the IFS have pointed out is that £25bn of new spending was seemingly announced today they hadn't seen before:

£15bn for PPE equipment for NHS staff

£10bn for the government's test, track and trace system.

That's equivalent to 20% of the entire NHS budget - hidden away on page 25 of the Summer statement document

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/898422/A_Plan_for_Jobs__Print_.pdf!

While people focus on lunch vouchers and stamp duty - the Government will be spending 4 times as much on PPE!

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, Deckard said:

Higher salaries? Don't make me :lol::lol::lol:

Those who still have a job after the furlough scheme ends will have to accept flat wages for a very long time.

Lots will be told "take a pay cut, or here's your P45".

I think this SD holiday will end up having a negligible impact of HPs, hence it's likely to get extended well beyond the end of March.

The key factors are unemployment and lending criteria - the rest is just noise peddled by the usual suspects.

This is true 2 years of pain followed by pumping before an election. 

I can't see why anyone would think there'll be inflation,  rate rises or anything else,  the economy was a zombie before covid I think it's a ghost now.