HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

There are several differences between EU freedom of movement  and what is proposed with Australia:

1. Easier to get out of if we want to later.
2. Its only a proposal being looked at. What we end up with might have restrictions.
3. Brexiteers (both official leave campaign and UKIP) always wanted points based immigration to let in skilled people.
4. It is unlikely we are going to get a large number of unskilled Australian immigrants. We might not even get net immigration if British people move there.
5. It is an advantage they speak the language.

Suggesting Brexiteers want white immigration is ridiculous and just a smear.  A points based system would increase non white immigration. Favouring EU immigration increases white immigration and reduces non-white immigration. SO you think the people who favour the policies that lead to more white vs non-white immigration are not racist, and those who want policies that will increase non-white immigration are.

Brexiteers would love a deal with India, which would be hugely beneficial economically AND increase skilled non-white immigration.

HOLA4410
25 minutes ago, gp_ said:

There are several differences between EU freedom of movement  and what is proposed with Australia:

1. Easier to get out of if we want to later.
2. Its only a proposal being looked at. What we end up with might have restrictions.
3. Brexiteers (both official leave campaign and UKIP) always wanted points based immigration to let in skilled people.
4. It is unlikely we are going to get a large number of unskilled Australian immigrants. We might not even get net immigration if British people move there.
5. It is an advantage they speak the language.

Suggesting Brexiteers want white immigration is ridiculous and just a smear.  A points based system would increase non white immigration. Favouring EU immigration increases white immigration and reduces non-white immigration. SO you think the people who favour the policies that lead to more white vs non-white immigration are not racist, and those who want policies that will increase non-white immigration are.

Brexiteers would love a deal with India, which would be hugely beneficial economically AND increase skilled non-white immigration.

Relax. It's Justin Trudeau off to another gala.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Just what we need, an open door for racists, homophobes and sexists obsessed with BTL property portfolios. 

At least they'll have a good tan and won't believe in climate change though. 

Seriously though, if a typical confident Aussie goes against a shoulder-chipped whinging Brit for a good job I don't fancy the chances of the Brit. :D 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It isn't actually going to happen but I expect a lot more Brits are attracted to moving to a large country where English is the main language (or one of the two main spoken anguages) and they drive on the correct side of the road than Slovakia or Latvia or Bulgaria. Malta is a bit limiting by comparison.

It also perhaps speaks volumes that despite freedom of movement to Australia ending for Brits in 1973 there are actually more British citizens living in Australia than in the whole of the EU where we have had FOM since 1973 (excluding Ireiand where we will keep the common travel area). Canada, the US, NZ and Australia remain the top choices for Brits to move too - if they had the chance.

As for those lovers of EU FOM - what are you still doing here?  Of course if there were so many well paid job oppprtunities in the other 27 member states why would so many young Europeans be moving here!

Most Brits are happy with 90 days visa free travel for holidays - which we have with over 120 non EU nations anyway!  Thats perhaps why 98 per cent haven't taken advantage of EU freedom of movement in its true sense - and moved abroad to live and work. Few will miss what they never used.

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4415
8 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

It isn't actually going to happen but I expect a lot more Brits are attracted to moving to a large country where English is the main language (or one of the two main spoken anguages) and they drive on the correct side of the road than Slovakia or Latvia or Bulgaria. Malta is a bit limiting by comparison.

It also perhaps speaks volumes that despite freedom of movement to Australia ending for Brits in 1973 there are actually more British citizens living in Australia than in the whole of the EU where we have had FOM since 1973 (excluding Ireiand where we will keep the common travel area). Canada, the US, NZ and Australia remain the top choices for Brits to move too - if they had the chance.

As for those lovers of EU FOM - what are you still doing here?  Of course if there were so many well paid job oppprtunities in the other 27 member states why would so many young Europeans be moving here!

Most Brits are happy with 90 days visa free travel for holidays - which we have with over 120 non EU nations anyway!  Thats perhaps why 98 per cent haven't taken advantage of EU freedom of movement in its true sense - and moved abroad to live and work. Few will miss what they never used.

It gives metropolitan liberal elites the chance to virtual signal at dinner parties at "how lovely my Polish builders are" or how little their Bulgarian Au Pair requires in terms of employment rights, holiday and sick pay etc. Maintaining a 3 storey fully staffed town house in Islington doesn't come cheap you know.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
10 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

I did spend 15 months working in France about ten years ago. But FoM wasn't necessary for that either (for some of that time I was sharing an office with an Australian, there for about the same length of time).

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

I did spend 15 months working in France about ten years ago. But FoM wasn't necessary for that either (for some of that time I was sharing an office with an Australian, there for about the same length of time).

Was that a proper job? Unless it’s a transfer with a multinational, getting “local” jobs in France is very hard. Same with many other EU countries...unless you’re prepared to pull pints in a pub. The language, accounting and legal systems of CANZUK have sufficient similarities to insure a certain amount of transferability of skills between countries. It makes more sense than open borders with the EU. Also all CANZUK countries are wealthy, whereas the East and South of Europe is not...this creates problems for local workers who are prepared to do unskilled work but can’t afford the low rates. It also creates a benefits pull. I think CANZUK is a great idea, especially now the libtard Turdeau is on his way out.

HOLA4419
3 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

Was that a proper job? Unless it’s a transfer with a multinational, getting “local” jobs in France is very hard.

OK fair point, it was (transfer with a multinational). Still a good opportunity I appreciated though - just because I'm against the current situation FoM has produced doesn't mean I'm against it on principle, just when it results in large unbalanced movements of people. It's a very nice thing to have but you need to put in the work in the first place to make it viable. Having it was either France or Australia, that's fine, because there aren't significant economic pushes in either direction, so all you've got then are opportunities for those that want it, which result in a bit of enrichment either way without creating too much overall change.

HOLA4420
On 19/09/2019 at 08:44, dugsbody said:

This can't happen. Brexiters have been saying for years that the MAJOR reason to leave the EU is END freedom of movement and REGAIN CONTROL of our BORDERS.

(Daily Mail headline emphasis my own)

It can happen. Brexiteers only want to end freedom of movement to the EU.  To replace it with a sensible managed immigration policy from all over the world, with an increased quota of people with needed skills from outside the EU, eg Australia or the US, or India, China. That was always the plan and why the result was brexit. People who are for staying in the EU often don't understand this or are misinformed by the hysterical media of the anti brexit media, in particular the BBC, Comcast owned SKY, Channel 4, The Times and Guardian, who insinuate racist overtones, when in reality the racist ones are themselves against their own kind.

Edited by bear.getting.old

HOLA4421
16 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Of course if there were so many well paid job oppprtunities in the other 27 member states why would so many young Europeans be moving here!

Ah yes, the old "UK is a special immigration magnet" claim, I guess it was inevitable that would pop up.

On 05/07/2019 at 09:18, Dorkins said:

The claim that the UK is a special immigration magnet often comes up on this thread but it isn't supported by the data. 13.2% of the population having been born outside the country is entirely typical for a developed country. Ireland is 15.9%, Austria is 15.2%, Germany is 14.9%, USA is 14.3%, Norway is 13.8%, Belgium is 12.9%, Spain is 12.8%, France is 11.1%, Netherlands is 11.1% etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_immigrant_population

HOLA4422
7 hours ago, Pindar said:

It gives metropolitan liberal elites the chance to virtual signal at dinner parties at "how lovely my Polish builders are" or how little their Bulgarian Au Pair requires in terms of employment rights, holiday and sick pay etc. Maintaining a 3 storey fully staffed town house in Islington doesn't come cheap you know.

Some of us actually believe in individual liberty. It doesn't always have to be an economic argument.

HOLA4423
4 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

It can happen. Brexiteers only want to end freedom of movement to the EU.  To replace it with a sensible managed immigration policy from all over the world, with an increased quota of people with needed skills from outside the EU, eg Australia or the US, or India, China.

I always like the idea (often from people who are normally quite sceptical about big government) that government bureaucrats will do a great job of centrally planning the labour market, correctly identifying labour shortages in the UK economy at high resolution and then granting visas to people with the right skills etc. It's a level of competence the government never displays in anything else so why would they be able to do it for immigration? What makes you think the average civil servant desk jockey with a 2.1 in English Literature is going to be qualified to check over the CVs of nuclear physicists and electronic engineers? It's like putting a corporate HR department in charge of immigration policy, and anybody who has ever dealt with a corporate HR department will know how successful that is likely to be.

HOLA4424

We do have an office of national statistics who usually get it right. Just ask Australia how they identify skills shortages and feed that into their immigration policy. Call it a firewall that blocks everything, until a port that is needed is then opened. The corporate HR department position would not be what you say, it would be open the floodgates so they can employ dirt cheap immigrant labour.

Edited by bear.getting.old

HOLA4425
On 19/09/2019 at 15:15, gp_ said:

Brexiters would love a deal with India, which would be hugely beneficial economically AND increase skilled non-white immigration.

One of my previous students, an Indian, was an electronics engineer designing circuit boards for technology. He had a bit of hassle staying in the country, certainly more than if he was unskilled from the EU.

Although I shouldn’t have befriended him or enjoyed his sense of humour though because according to some remainers, as a Leave voter I’m a r*cist apparently.

Edited by Arpeggio