House Price Crash Forum

"I want to be financially free, I bought my first house last year, its gone up alot. Obviously im going to remortgage to reinvest the money"

HOLA441
22 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Indeed.

Katie Price/Jordan is a cautonary tale, who predates this sort of interweb ******.

If she'd acted more sensibly with the money she got paid she'd be fine, more than fine. She blew it after the fact.

Edited by Si1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, stuckin2up2down said:

It's interesting to see the mindset of people, soon as house increases in value they want to remortgage to get BTLs.

The influencer world does seem to be in a bubble.

The biggest female influencer in the uk zoella released a book recently that only sold 20k copies despite almost a year of promotion to her 12 million followers. Brands are paying a lot to these people that often aren't that influential.

But they don't. In fact the overwhelming majority of homeowners do not re-mortgage to buy a new property.  For sure some do but not the vast majority. 

As for biggest influencer I have never even heard of this Zoella of whom you speak and I am sure that no one I know has.  So I guess she does not have a lot of influence.  This is proven by the low sales of her book again of which I know not.  

I guess most people on twatter or mebook are kids who are not working and who do not have enough money to buy a book

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
2 hours ago, stuckin2up2down said:

She's been caught out selling on products she received for free (and opened and tested) in an £50 advent calendar.

Interesting. Many of these types don't bother to read the rules. Incase anyone doesn't know it's illegal because they would have been sent to her for her to review. Making money by selling it on affects the impartiality. It's why the gadget show gives away loads of free tech they've been sent by various companies.

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Yep. She's a debt junkie. She's investing. She's smart. She's an influencer.

It seems her business is mostly selling advice on how to make money rather than actually selling anything. Seems to be a large market for this with lots of people interested in spending money on being told how to get rich.

11 minutes ago, Wayward said:

This is all a bit sad...there must be 10,000s of wantabe internet sensations putting a lot of time and effort into this nonsense and all for nothing.

100k+ followers and 100+ transformation copyright violations later and you've got yourself some pocket money.

HOLA447
5 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

It seems her business is mostly selling advice on how to make money rather than actually selling anything. Seems to be a large market for this with lots of people interested in spending money on being told how to get rich.

I believe she blogs/advises on beauty, fashion and lifestyle; this is pretty much what 'social meedya influencers' do.

As such she gets organisations in those areas to give her money and freebies in order to influence their brands in a positive way. I think.

e.g.:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/hotel-instagram-influencers-free-rooms-maldives-a8415396.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/19/hotel-owner-hits-youtube-vloggers-flooded-business-bad-reviews/

HOLA448
20 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Interesting. Many of these types don't bother to read the rules. Incase anyone doesn't know it's illegal because they would have been sent to her for her to review. Making money by selling it on affects the impartiality. It's why the gadget show gives away loads of free tech they've been sent by various companies.

100k+ followers and 100+ transformation copyright violations later and you've got yourself some pocket money.

You'd think a 2:1 law grad from a Russel group uni would know basic laws ;) She's deleted all her videos about her advent calendar and now claims the free promtional items were gifts - that she sold as part of a bundle ?

The person I'm talking about is the one being interviewed, a beauty vlogger.

100k followers on Instagram and you can earn 2-3k for a single post.

HOLA449

image.thumb.png.fd54e8dc3e7ab3745ca40d024c67e807.png

Out of 100k subscribers, she only gets 3k views of her post [since July]. Don't know if that's normal but make your own conclusions about those stats.

So she receives goods worth 1k and makes a post with a value of 1k. I assume they're all declaring the value of this income in kind to HMRC and the big data project over there will be efficiently collecting all the tax.

Rather than relying on scare tactics with a single prosecution and expecting everyone to be intimidated into self assessing. [I was assured repeatedly by posters on another thread here that efficient big data and not scare tactics is how HMRC now work. I am skeptical.]

HOLA4410
53 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

I can do a little social influencing too.

My advice is you should all become multi Millionaires. I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact method you should use to get the cash.

HOLA4411
6 minutes ago, ebull said:

image.thumb.png.fd54e8dc3e7ab3745ca40d024c67e807.png

Out of 100k subscribers, she only gets 3k views of her post [since July]. Don't know if that's normal but make your own conclusions about those stats.

So she receives goods worth 1k and makes a post with a value of 1k. I assume they're all declaring the value of this income in kind to HMRC and the big data project over there will be efficiently collecting all the tax.

Rather than relying on scare tactics with a single prosecution and expecting everyone to be intimidated into self assessing. [I was assured repeatedly by posters on another thread here that efficient big data and not scare tactics is how HMRC now work. I am skeptical.]

The person being interviewed has their own channel - https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/eltoria

She's making her living by just opening advent calendars on camera, or was before people found out she's selling on the products.

I skeptical of HMRCs new system ever working or being more real than the tv detection vans.

HOLA4412

Giving the gifts away/selling them is rather smart because it quantifies the "value" for tax purposes. Had she kept them for personal use HMRC could argue that she was receiving "payments in kind" equal to the goods retail price. I'm sure she's oblivious to this point. 

However if she's being sent goods to review and/or paid by the manufacturer that needs to be clearly disclosed in the video/description that it's really an advert and not an impartial review.

1 hour ago, Arpeggio said:

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

That's half of what this country is these days. There's more/easier money selling pan's than actually panning for gold yourself. 

HOLA4413

The social media thing is so over. They are not making nearly as much money as they like to make out. Zero barriers to entry. 10 years into the game. New people entering all the time. Everyone doing the same thing and looking and sounding the same because they do not actually have anything special to offer. And advertisers more reluctant due to scandals (YouTube).

Its just another gold rush that ended. Time to go panning for gold was 2010. Yet still more naive kids start their channel, set up their instagram etc etc. Because anyone can do it. Thats why they are not making any money. The ones mostly making money are the ones who have been established for years im sure, and I bet even they are not making what they were. A tiny tiny fraction have made a few million and can do what they want in life now if they are not dumb about it.

The ones selling the shovels to these gold miners are making the real money now, the platforms.

99.999% of these kids are going to be in a bad spot in a few years.

HOLA4414
14 minutes ago, AdamoMucci said:

I bet even they are not making what they were.

Ad rates will be the first to fall in a economic downturn, Especially "vanity metric" type stuff such as Facebook likes/video views where there's little real evidence it actually converts into sales.  Pewdiepie and his Nazi stuff/Logan Paul and the suicide corpse video has really put advertisers off, especially the longer term sponsorship deals.

14 minutes ago, AdamoMucci said:

I'm sure there's many cases where students have dropped out of college to become "social media influencers" and then realized how hard it is to make money, wasted a year or two lounging about before either going to Uni or signing on the dole/getting a menial job. 

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

The social media thing is so over. They are not making nearly as much money as they like to make out. Zero barriers to entry. 10 years into the game. New people entering all the time. Everyone doing the same thing and looking and sounding the same because they do not actually have anything special to offer. And advertisers more reluctant due to scandals (YouTube).

Its just another gold rush that ended. Time to go panning for gold was 2010. Yet still more naive kids start their channel, set up their instagram etc etc. Because anyone can do it. Thats why they are not making any money. The ones mostly making money are the ones who have been established for years im sure, and I bet even they are not making what they were. A tiny tiny fraction have made a few million and can do what they want in life now if they are not dumb about it.

The ones selling the shovels to these gold miners are making the real money now, the platforms.

Depends what you are doing, if its just youtube you need over a million views a month just to make min wage. If you are doing fashion or beauty or anything to get lots of brand deals many are earning over 50k a year even with small views to their videos and a dead website.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

She does give one bit of advice about not buying a flash car. So she joined 2 thinbgs together to get her YouTube name , I am amazed that's never been done before. As others have said there are a lot of these half decent looking girls with these channels , shell be a nobody in a few months.

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

My advice is you should all become multi Millionaires. I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact method you should use to get the cash.

Send me $99 and I'll send you the first of my 4 part guide on how to do this. If you "like" me on tech-bubble-ponzi-sites like MyTwitFace (the embodiment of MySpace, Twitter and Face Book) I'll give you a 50% discount. ?

4 hours ago, Council estate capitalist said:

Ad rates will be the first to fall in a economic downturn, Especially "vanity metric" type stuff such as Facebook likes/video views where there's little real evidence it actually converts into sales.

Are you using "likes and views" with "ad rates" as in likes and views for sale? Very widespread! Often people will share things more if it looks like other people like them, as opposed to independently thinking that something is good but hasn't been shared and should be publicized (unfortunately).

2 hours ago, stuckin2up2down said:

Depends what you are doing, if its just youtube you need over a million views a month just to make min wage. If you are doing fashion or beauty or anything to get lots of brand deals many are earning over 50k a year even with small views to their videos and a dead website. 

I like the idea of a person working on getting the traffic then monetizing the traffic by selling other's products for a cut. I think that is where the money is, one person doing a full time job rather than overstretching themselves. Like wise for the product owner saving them the full time job of finding the traffic so they can work on their products. That's basically what I do, my website is tumbleweed since I updated to Wordpress and got Google slapped. (PS it's nothing like what I joked about to Lord D'arcy Pew above).

HOLA4422
7 hours ago, stuckin2up2down said:

You'd think a 2:1 law grad from a Russel group uni would know basic laws ;) She's deleted all her videos about her advent calendar and now claims the free promtional items were gifts - that she sold as part of a bundle ?

The person I'm talking about is the one being interviewed, a beauty vlogger.

100k followers on Instagram and you can earn 2-3k for a single post.

Well ... its i think its a law conversion course. Just a year.

These courses allow people whove not done a law degree to join the 10,000s of law grads trying to get a training contract.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, hughjass said:

She does give one bit of advice about not buying a flash car. So she joined 2 thinbgs together to get her YouTube name , I am amazed that's never been done before. As others have said there are a lot of these half decent looking girls with these channels , shell be a nobody in a few months.

Id strongly recommend not buying any car after graduating. Move to where the work or bys route is,

HOLA4424
HOLA4425