House Price Crash Forum

2018 versus 1998

HOLA441
2 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

Try Linux if you miss spending hours getting one simple thing working. 

i dabbled around with linux years ago, i remember redhat asking me what ramdac the video card had and a warning saying if i chose the wrong one it would destroy the card or i would not be able to see the screen anymore. ?  early down the pub then. 

used to be some great places around waterloo, life was simple then you could get 10 interviews a week and pay was reasonable for living standards.  year 2000 i was on 35k at 22  the academic crowd was earning nothing like that then. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. But then again, it never was...

Someone's beaten me to it.

<adopt ML swagger 1998>

If an IT contractor wasn't earning 100K p.a. then s/he was no good.

</adopt ML swagger 1998>

<2018>

What happened to the swarm of IT contractors on here.....earning 1998*110K*1.10**20 per annum?

They all seem to have disappeared.

</2018>

HOLA443
14 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

1997 was the game changer. 

From the moment Blair came to power things have been getting steadily worse.

I feel I'm in a minority here. Hands up anyone else who didn't vote for that clown.

I didn't. I was a bit of a Leftie then, but I just couldn't bring myself to vote for that charlatan.  I remember all too well the 6th May and the disappointment of some of the Luvvies around me who swallowed his propaganda, and then having buyer's remorse.

:lol:   times one million.

Free market in private housing in the Major years? Ahhhh.....nostalgia.

HOLA444
6 hours ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Someone's beaten me to it.

<adopt ML swagger 1998>

If an IT contractor wasn't earning 100K p.a. then s/he was no good.

</adopt ML swagger 1998>

<2018>

What happened to the swarm of IT contractors on here.....earning 1998*110K*1.10**20 per annum?

They all seem to have disappeared.

</2018>

I think some of the tech wages have definitely taken a hit and IR35 etc had an impact. Also the days of people having huge numbers of consultants and Contractors on site to deliver what was basically an Oracle DB sat behind either a green screen or Java App have long gone.

Sales can still make very good money, though there are more hoops to jump through these days. 

HOLA445
8 hours ago, longgone said:

i dabbled around with linux years ago, i remember redhat asking me what ramdac the video card had and a warning saying if i chose the wrong one it would destroy the card or i would not be able to see the screen anymore. ?  early down the pub then. 

used to be some great places around waterloo, life was simple then you could get 10 interviews a week and pay was reasonable for living standards.  year 2000 i was on 35k at 22  the academic crowd was earning nothing like that then. 

Linux is much easier these days. That said, you still have great powers as root and do need to be careful with certain commands!

HOLA446
9 hours ago, Dyson Fury said:

Some time ago I read the first novel by Patricia Cornwell (Postmortem, I think).  It was full of this type of computer stuff (downloading files from another computer with ftp, blinking cursors on green screens, etc).  Must have seemed very futuristic in the 1990's, but it must be totally incomprehensible to young readers today, much more so than the much older Sherlock Holmes (horsedrawn carriages etc) which although obviously vintage is at least understandable.   

Before ISPs connecting to the internet meant having a dedicated line between the office and a university. That was after being visited by a team from the uni to check our suitability. We knew it was something we should learn about but at first it was just the boss sending mail to her sister in Australia.

Class B IP address for the asking!

HOLA447
8 hours ago, ZeroSumGame said:

I didn't. I was a bit of a Leftie then, but I just couldn't bring myself to vote for that charlatan.  I remember all too well the 6th May and the disappointment of some of the Luvvies around me who swallowed his propaganda, and then having buyer's remorse.

:lol:   times one million.

Free market in private housing in the Major years? Ahhhh.....nostalgia.

I remember a programme on the radio not too long after Blair had got in describing him as "the most unpopular popular person ever."

HOLA448
17 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Piss poor. And that's not even adjusting for inflation. The Ftse would need to get over 10,000 to reach the peak of 1999 in today's money.

...which tells you just how over-valued the FTSE100 was in 1999 due to the tech stocks bubble, rather than anything else.

HOLA449
5 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think some of the tech wages have definitely taken a hit and IR35 etc had an impact. Also the days of people having huge numbers of consultants and Contractors on site to deliver what was basically an Oracle DB sat behind either a green screen or Java App have long gone.

Sales can still make very good money, though there are more hoops to jump through these days. 

Always will be a shortage of good sales people since skill set same as running your own successful business - most people don't have the temperament 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

...which tells you just how over-valued the FTSE100 was in 1999 due to the tech stocks bubble, rather than anything else.

Was it the tech bubble or just a bubble? I didn't think there were many tech stocks in the FTSE 100.

HOLA4411

In summer 1998 I was 20 going on 21 and finished a 2 year college course. I decided to carry on with my studies to turn it into a 'Top Up Degree' (18 months). Shouldn't have bothered really as it covered a lot of old ground and I should have looked for a full time job with career options.

It would have also saved me in applying for that weekend job at the new humongous B&Q Warehouse which turned out to be quite stressful. On top of the first wave of employees leaving and not getting replaced quickly, 'Changing Rooms' was on the telly and lots of dough was being taken in as a result of the DIY craze. I guess this also started the trend in 'using your house as an ATM' which help to pump up house prices. The same B&Q is very quiet these days.

I think £50 or 60k still bought a modest house in my city but tbh buying a house wasn't on my radar back then. These houses are about 3 times the 1998 valuations.

HOLA4412
21 minutes ago, MattW said:

In summer 1998 I was 20 going on 21 and finished a 2 year college course. I decided to carry on with my studies to turn it into a 'Top Up Degree' (18 months). Shouldn't have bothered really as it covered a lot of old ground and I should have looked for a full time job with career options.

It would have also saved me in applying for that weekend job at the new humongous B&Q Warehouse which turned out to be quite stressful. On top of the first wave of employees leaving and not getting replaced quickly, 'Changing Rooms' was on the telly and lots of dough was being taken in as a result of the DIY craze. I guess this also started the trend in 'using your house as an ATM' which help to pump up house prices. The same B&Q is very quiet these days.

I think £50 or 60k still bought a modest house in my city but tbh buying a house wasn't on my radar back then. These houses are about 3 times the 1998 valuations.

Sadly in London 3 times the 1998 valuation does not look so bad, it is more like 5-6 times more.

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, scottbeard said:

It tells you the Ftse hasn't gone in anywhere in twenty years. My original point.

1 hour ago, Kosmin said:

Was it the tech bubble or just a bubble? I didn't think there were many tech stocks in the FTSE 100.

There still isn't. Digital networking being one of the many things the UK isn't very good at.

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

It tells you the Ftse hasn't gone in anywhere in twenty years. My original point.

To be honest I am being picky - your original point was that the FTSE100 has gone nowhere in 20 years.  More accurately it's gone virtually nowhere in the last 19 of those 20 years (but did return nicely between 1998 and 1999) ;)

Including dividends you've still doubled your money if you invested in UK equities in 1998 - however all that's done is roughly keep pace with inflation.   There hasn't been any real terms growth over that period, and I agree with you that's surprising and disappointing.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 31/05/2018 at 13:09, GregBowman said:

Always will be a shortage of good sales people since skill set same as running your own successful business - most people don't have the temperament 

Indeed. Both temperament and in a technical field the ability to understand the technology and then simplify the message to the customer, whilst making the link to the needs of the customer’s business.

HOLA4417
On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:09, GregBowman said:

Greg what is the temperament could you explain it, just curious as I know you have run businesses for a few decades so would know what is a good sales person

HOLA4418
On 31/05/2018 at 13:28, Kosmin said:

Well BT was considered a tech and was number one ranker with a share price of £10.53 and  over a hundred billion market cap.

Today a couple of quid a share a 20 billion cap and 15 billion final salary pension deficit.

Today it's number 29 by cap and definitely Championship a bit like Aston Villa.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, Talking Monkey said:

Greg what is the temperament could you explain it, just curious as I know you have run businesses for a few decades so would know what is a good sales person

IMHO seriously because everyone has different views 

1. The ability to take S*** on a daily basis without self esteem damage or lashing out metaphorically. The vast majority of people cannot manage it for 30 minutes just view a traffic jam or super market queue

2. Stamina - Big sales in a B2B world are very little about marketing and all about long term relationships - the sales cycles are long

3. Very high EQ giving an almost chameleon ability to influence and gain the trust of a wide spectrum of humanity

4. High IQ as ML said good sales people do know their product and complex ones take a lot of getting to know

5. An unshakeable belief that they will triumph no matter what - hence normally good people to be around Uber positive

6. Don’t suffer from stress again most flat salaried people wouldn’t be able to cope with the income fluctuations 

7. A real love of the game of sales - liberating money your way !

Edited by GregBowman

HOLA4420
10 hours ago, GregBowman said:

1. The ability to take S*** on a daily basis without self esteem damage or lashing out metaphorically. The vast majority of people cannot manage it for 30 minutes just view a traffic jam or super market queue

2. Stamina - Big sales in a B2B world are very little about marketing and all about long term relationships - the sales cycles are long

3. Very high EQ giving an almost chameleon ability to influence and gain the trust of a wide spectrum of humanity

4. High IQ as ML said good sales people do know their product and complex ones take a lot of getting to know

5. An unshakeable belief that they will triumph no matter what - hence normally good people to be around Uber positive

6. Don’t suffer from stress again most flat salaried people wouldn’t be able to cope with the income fluctuations 

I've always been tempted by 'the dark side' of sales. Love eh game, the hunt, the chase and ultimately the win. In my role I get to speak with the lawyers and CFOs on the purchaser's side to overcome objections or present the hard line of finance. It is probably the best part of my job. 

But, alas, I am risk averse and even though I'd likely earn lots more money I prefer a steady salary. 

HOLA4421
12 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Cheers Greg, not a lot of people are going to have all that so good sales people are going to be rare, makes sense why they get paid very well

HOLA4422
43 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

Cheers Greg, not a lot of people are going to have all that so good sales people are going to be rare, makes sense why they get paid very well

Of a team of 10 - 4 are non performers but you hang on hope over experience type of thing , 4 are good but no more will meet or game the system to max bonus etc and might bring in a whale in every so often 

2 are top performers and indistinguishable from an exec or business owner - of those 2 because of that 1 will either leave or start their  own biz trying to take your clients 

So running sales teams is a bit of an art as well 

HOLA4423
2 hours ago, adarmo said:

I've always been tempted by 'the dark side' of sales. Love eh game, the hunt, the chase and ultimately the win. In my role I get to speak with the lawyers and CFOs on the purchaser's side to overcome objections or present the hard line of finance. It is probably the best part of my job. 

But, alas, I am risk averse and even though I'd likely earn lots more money I prefer a steady salary. 

High end sales is a process first and foremost - you would do very well ??