House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
13 minutes ago, kzb said:

It's now 3.2 years from the referendum.

Realistically a trade deal could be done in less than 5 years.  If they'd started straight away we'd be less than 2 years off completing it by now.  As it is I bet we've not left after 2 years from now.

A completely bespoke FTA could well be north of seven or eight years. I read an estimate that a bespoke EEA agreement would have taken three to four years.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
23 minutes ago, kzb said:

Realistically a trade deal could be done in less than 5 years.  If they'd started straight away we'd be less than 2 years off completing it by now.  As it is I bet we've not left after 2 years from now.

When you wish upon a star ... doesn't make it so.

Edited by jonb2

HOLA449
20 minutes ago, kzb said:

5 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

A completely bespoke FTA could well be north of seven or eight years. I read an estimate that a bespoke EEA agreement would have taken three to four years.

Of course that assumes we had decided what we want, we hadn't and even now its not obvious. Add in the complexity of drafting an agreement that allows for increasing divergence and you would probaly end up with a timescale riveling HS2s arrival in Birmingham.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Of course that assumes we had decided what we want, we hadn't and even now its not obvious. Add in the complexity of drafting an agreement that allows for increasing divergence and you would probaly end up with a timescale riveling HS2s arrival in Birmingham.

The rush to enact A50 before thinking through what we wanted has turned this situation into a dogs dinner.  There was a window directly after the referendum whereby a clear and precise process of withdrawal could have been thought through and initiated.  But then those on both sides rubbished any compromise and we are where we are.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
8 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

How many "meaningful" votes did May want? As for available time, I don't know, I merely hazarded a guess.

There were questions about that, and challenges based on the fact that the following ones weren't really voting for anything different. I suppose she got away with claiming the minor differences were sufficient. Rather harder to do that  for a more straightforward question.

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The rush to enact A50 before thinking through what we wanted has turned this situation into a dogs dinner.  There was a window directly after the referendum whereby a clear and precise process of withdrawal could have been thought through and initiated.  But then those on both sides rubbished any compromise and we are where we are.

Agree completely, but there was no willingness to put any effort in to the task. We have neither a government or parliament capable of acting professionally.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I'm not terribly interested in what the economic results are.

Fair enough if the economic impact of leaving wasn't a major factor for you, but there must be something you are hoping will change for the better by leaving the EU without a deal. Are you able to point to something you anticipate will be improved by leaving and offer a time frame for that improvement to occur, after which you'd admit you'd got it wrong?

HOLA4419

Well if the Daily Mail are saying it - it must be bad surely?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7421045/No-Deal-Brexit-lead-months-chaos-public-disorder.html

But then there's also the Guardian - Leavers can ignore this as it's a left wing thing and not part of Fantasy Island Magazine

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/03/no-deal-brexit-crashing-out-uk-europe

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
10 minutes ago, Goodafterbad said:

Fair enough if the economic impact of leaving wasn't a major factor for you, but there must be something you are hoping will change for the better by leaving the EU without a deal. Are you able to point to something you anticipate will be improved by leaving and offer a time frame for that improvement to occur, after which you'd admit you'd got it wrong?

Yes, we won't be a member of the EU.

By asking that question you've got my perspective backwards. I'm not expecting any specific improvements, my position is by default not liking the sort of level of integration the EU consists of, so I'll never want to be a member without having something very persuasive to do so. No-one's come up with anything yet.

I guess you fundamentally like the idea so you can't see any reason to leave without something equally persuasive that you've not seen.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Nothing like a bit of namecalling eh? Mind you not sure why he's running off crying to the LibDems if he doesn't like populism when the Tory stereotype is for elitism instead.

They've certainly got that with BJ. The MPs couldn't even understand his babbled, clipped, enunciation. 

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

If we remain we are finished as an independent country. It basically green lights our entry into the superstate.

Chances that a government will allow another referendum after what has happened ? Practically zero.

We didn't get a vote on Maastricht or Lisbon. We will get zero votes in the future. 

That kind of sounds like project fear on steroids.

If in another 10 years, the EU doesn't turn into the superstate you fear, would you then admit you'd got it wrong? If not, can you describe any future situation where you would say that the idea of leaving the EU without a deal was the wrong decision?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Yes, we won't be a member of the EU.

Surely you must be able to point to something other than this circular logic? There must be some improvement from leaving the EU other than we wont be a member of the EU.

If this is really what it boils down to for you, then you're in the enviable position of never being wrong about it as its self fulfilling.