House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
26 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Not as fecked as us though.

The medicines just transiting through the UK can be airfreighted easily enough. The number actually made in the UK will be far smaller. Whereas our medicines actually are made in the EU. 

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

This vote doesn't mean WTO Brexit will now happen in March 2019. The government doesn't want it. A majority of MPs don't want it. They want to find a way to prevent it, and they have the numbers.

How are they going to avoid it? It's far too short a time to come to any other arrangement. Withdraw Article 50? That looks like the only answer on paper, and the consequences of that will be disastrous.

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

This vote doesn't mean WTO Brexit will now happen in March 2019. The government doesn't want it. A majority of MPs don't want it. They want to find a way to prevent it, and they have the numbers.

HoC has already passed the vote to leave on 29Mar even without a deal.

In order for that to change, the HoC needs to pass new legislation.

But there is no majority for any option - so we leave WTO by default.

HOLA446

I got the impression that a 2nd Ref is the most likely . . .  Labour will push it and it has cross party support.

But there still remains agreement needed for the choices on the ticket.

Those in favour have insisted on the choices being readily deliverable, so likely off-the shelf solutions.

I don't see WTO being offered. Dominic Grieve mentioned Norway, but here you get deals not designed for the UK (it's good for ag and fish) and less advantageous than our current situation.

Quite honestly, cobbling anything together now on the hoof is hardly likely to be satisfactory.

HOLA447
HOLA448
3 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Not as fecked as us though.

The medicines just transiting through the UK can be airfreighted easily enough. The number actually made in the UK will be far smaller. Whereas our medicines actually are made in the EU. 

So we buy from Canada, or USA, or India, or China. It’s a big old world out there...

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 minute ago, copydude said:

I got the impression that a 2nd Ref is the most likely . . .  Labour will push it and it has cross party support.

Labour's manifesto in the last GE was one that ruled out a 2nd ref. Not to say they won't go for it (Corbyn will shill anything if he thinks it will get him as PM) but just that it is something they have not had an appetite for yet. The Lib Dems definitely do want a 2nd ref.

HOLA4411
6 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

"Recruit from further afield" - there's the next thing they're going to get raked over the coals for, this population growth Ponzi scheme. No lessons learned from Brexit I see.

I suppose they, the politicians, have learnt not to give a pissed off population a referendum about anything.

It's possible that they, the people, will learn that our membership of the EU had little or nothing to do with our government deciding to grow the economy by growing the population.     

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Just now, Riedquat said:

AIUI her own party can't remove her, so it would require a vote of no confidence and a GE if she won't step down. Would the Tories risk that?

Something needs to be done, she's the laughing stock of Europe. Maybe she's thick skinned enough to shrug it off but it's not good for our image abroad.

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

HoC has already passed the vote to leave on 29Mar even without a deal.

In order for that to change, the HoC needs to pass new legislation.

But there is no majority for any option - so we leave WTO by default.

I think it's highly unlikely that the 500+ MPs who are opposed to no deal are just going to sit there dumbstruck for 10 weeks. Things will already be moving behind the scenes to prevent that.

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, aheadofthecurve said:

Labour's manifesto in the last GE was one that ruled out a 2nd ref. Not to say they won't go for it (Corbyn will shill anything if he thinks it will get him as PM) but just that it is something they have not had an appetite for yet. The Lib Dems definitely do want a 2nd ref.

According to Sky, 100 Labour MPs  will push for a public vote following the anticipated loss of the VONC

HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Why are you talking about manifestos? The DUP said today they would vote with the Conservatives on a no-confidence vote. ERG MPs know that if they vote against the government on a confidence vote they will be chucked out of the party and will lose their seats. There isn't going to be a general election because May doesn't want one. May can't even be replaced as leader by her own party any more.

MPs (both hard remainer and hard leaver) desperately wanted to have their big anti-WA vote. Well okay, they've done it now. Oh, but nothing's changed. The 2016 result is still the 2016 result, the PM is still the PM, the WA is still the WA.

I don't see how May can bring this one back now, not after a defeat of such magnitude, and equally I don't see how she can survive if she abandons all her core promises made over the last two years - end SM, end FOM, end ECJ (even though in her deal they might well have washed away).

Labour are already threatening to have repeat VONCs until they pick up enough rebels.

The thing that's stopping the deal is the MPs. She needs to change the MPs. Her only way to do this is GE.

HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

You don't say.

I've been pointing out that the leave campaign intentionally did not specify what brexit would look like (as documented by leave campaign director, Dominic Cummings) in order to hoover up as many votes as possible.

Now we get to the part where we have to work out what that means and it's backfiring spectacularly on the country. We're in this mess precisely for that reason.

Congratulations.

That is and continues to be their intent.....keep brexit undefined.....the ultras see their opportunity as the backstop. That is their goal.....in fact the fractured support for any tangible deal also works for them. 

You will never get them to admit that voters did not know what they voted for. They know that that was the case and is dangerous for their case.

They have been rumbled...it smacks of orchestration.

HOLA4419
Just now, thehowler said:

I don't see how May can bring this one back now, not after a defeat of such magnitude, and equally I don't see how she can survive if she abandons all her core promises made over the last two years - end SM, end FOM, end ECJ (even though in her deal they might well have washed away).

Labour are already threatening to have repeat VONCs until they pick up enough rebels.

The thing that's stopping the deal is the MPs. She needs to change the MPs. Her only way to do this is GE.

They need to change her!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 minute ago, thehowler said:

The DUP are sticking with May. Any Tory MP who rebels on a VONC will be immediately expelled from the party.

What does a GE change? It will just return yet another parliamentary Conservative party split over Europe. Changes nothing.

HOLA4422
4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I think it's highly unlikely that the 500+ MPs who are opposed to no deal are just going to sit there dumbstruck for 10 weeks. Things will already be moving behind the scenes to prevent that.

They've done that for 2 1/2 years.

Pushing for a second ref (as much as I find the idea completely abhorrent) would be my guess at their most likely path, although that's not going to solve things by the end of March. I suspect that they also seriously over-estimate the odds of remain winning it, and if the result doesn't go the way they want then what?

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

I think that is precisely what is going to happen.

Despite all the desperation, and exasperation, and questing for other options; all will fail, and no deal will pass.

It’s not 10 weeks is probably a couple of weeks at best; and then the focus will shift to no deal contingency work and bilateral negotiations.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425